Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Fire or ‘Way to Go!’ Tom Allen?

14 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Really? Cause I was there for the Mallory years as well and we are light years from that.

It's purely my opinion.

My opinion is based on the rise of talented, instinctively good very young players like Mullen, Hendershot, Scott, Cam Jones, Ellis, McFadden, and especially...

Penix.

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm not the one melting down when people criticize Tom Allen. 

Yes, you are. How many times in this thread have you whined that you're not allowed to have an opinion because not everyone agrees with you? 

Then the argument of why did we do so many east and west throws, because those were basically run plays even tho they were passes. It allowed slots or RBs to get out and turn upfield which most of those gains turned in to gains that would be equal to runs. Yes I’m still scratching my head at the three straight inside tackle runs....not disagreeing there but the arguments on play calls like screen passes were designed to be like runs....to get you some yards on early downs....if we went over the top or deep throws every negative Nancy on here would have been like why are we throwing downfield every play.....why are we setting ourselves up for a 3rd and long every drive....well those screen passes setup 3rd and shorts and we ran several times to get a first down and sustain a drive....or we hit a hitch or short crossing pattern to get the first when they thought we would run.....would I have liked to see more of an RPO instead of 3 straight inside runs heck yeah....but the only time we saw them allow Penix to run was on that bootleg where he ran for a TD. I feel like the game plan was to setup as an option but no matter what we were going to limit hits he took. That’s why there were so many east and west throws throughout the game. 

If this thread has fallen to this level, then I’m going to continue to call out that Brass Cannon has conveniently disappeared from all football threads because Penix is the answer and he was so incredibly wrong it’s too embarrassing to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I see it’s “gang up on the dissenter” time.

I’m not taking sides because I haven’t read all the info.

I can see where people can see good things with our football program.

I can see where it’s just the “same ole, same ole”.

I don’t think Tom Allen needs fired though. I actually like the guy and am rooting for him. Considering our football history, let’s give him time to build something. Follow his recruiting and when people stop buying what he’s selling, cut ties.

I have a much shorter leash for a IUBB program that should have zero excuse besides maybe trying to play it straight in a world of zig-zagging cheatery.

I see it’s “gang up on the dissenter” time.

I’m not taking sides because I haven’t read all the info.

I can see where people can see good things with our football program.

I can see where it’s just the “same ole, same ole”.

I don’t think Tom Allen needs fired though. I actually like the guy and am rooting for him. Considering our football history, let’s give him time to build something. Follow his recruiting and when people stop buying what he’s selling, cut ties.

I have a much shorter leash for a IUBB program that should have zero excuse besides maybe trying to play it straight in a world of zig-zagging cheatery.

We are on stage 4 of the 7 stages of grieving. We just moved past ganging up on the positive people when we started getting 2020 commits. It’s a vicious cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 9/30/2019 at 9:53 PM, Fkfootball1 said:

That MSU game was a chance for Indiana to turn a corner. And it was the same BS as usual. We can’t finish a freaking game. Remember Michigan in 2015? Just stop the 4th down pass, and we win. What happens, Michigan converts? It’s crap like that in all these big games. Always a play away. If Fitzgerald picks that ball off and runs it back, that probably wins the game. Indiana has a culture of failing to finish a game and every Big Ten opponent understands that. If Tom Allen can’t change that culture in 3 years, then he isn’t the guy. It’s about time for IU to find “THE GUY.”

FK, 

Honest question, and have never really seen a serious discussion around actual potential candidates. Who would you like IU to target if we do part ways with CTA? I know that a lot of that depends on the landscape, who may be let go, available etc., but just curious who people think IU could get that would actually drive change. Is there a big name coach down on their luck at a smaller school that we could target, a promising up and comer, proven assistant etc. I was intrigued by Kansas being able to pick up Les Miles, but the verdict is still out of he will succeed there. 

For some perspective on where Indiana "really" is - current Sagarin (objective, non-biased) NCAA football rankings for Big Ten :

Ohio State    #1

Penn State  #4

Wisconsin  #10

Michigan State  #16

Michigan #17

Iowa    #19

Nebraska   #36

Maryland   #47

Indiana  #48

Northwestern   #56

Minnesota    #57

Purdue    #80

Illinois   #98

Rutgers    #134

So...you want to fire a coach who has Indiana in the top 50 programs in the country; who had #16 beat on the road; whose recruiting classes are at a level never before seen at Indiana; who has a quarterback who looks like a kid who might be drafted; who has built better team speed and better depth than we've ever had.   And you want to do this to go get....who?   Another guy you'll want fired when he does something you don't like?  Indiana is in the same division with FOUR top 20 rated teams.   And you think someone is going to come in and immediately change it....to....what?  And that guy will stay, right?

Logic seems to have no place here, sometimes.

42 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

For some perspective on where Indiana "really" is - current Sagarin (objective, non-biased) NCAA football rankings for Big Ten :

Ohio State    #1

Penn State  #4

Wisconsin  #10

Michigan State  #16

Michigan #17

Iowa    #19

Nebraska   #36

Maryland   #47

Indiana  #48

Northwestern   #56

Minnesota    #57

Purdue    #80

Illinois   #98

Rutgers    #134

So...you want to fire a coach who has Indiana in the top 50 programs in the country; who had #16 beat on the road; whose recruiting classes are at a level never before seen at Indiana; who has a quarterback who looks like a kid who might be drafted; who has built better team speed and better depth than we've ever had.   And you want to do this to go get....who?   Another guy you'll want fired when he does something you don't like?  Indiana is in the same division with FOUR top 20 rated teams.   And you think someone is going to come in and immediately change it....to....what?  And that guy will stay, right?

Logic seems to have no place here, sometimes.

Yes? If you read through the thread you would see why people want Allen fired. It's not because we lost on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Had #16 beat on the road? Really? A three-point lead early in the fourth quarter does not equate to having someone beat. I guess that suits the narrative, but it's just not accurate. 

If you can’t occasionally beat a ranked team, you can’t consistently make bowls.  Allen has never beaten one, which basically means he has to be perfect against unranked teams to make a bowl...and we haven’t been.  Allen has brought in decent talent....and can’t win with it.  I don’t see how it could be called anything but a bad hire.  Wilson’s tenure might have ended in turmoil but the table was at s minimum set for his successor to succeed and Allen hasn’t.

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Had #16 beat on the road? Really? A three-point lead early in the fourth quarter does not equate to having someone beat. I guess that suits the narrative, but it's just not accurate. 

1)  The 3 point lead isn't at all what I'm referring to and it's also not the point.   The punt return with the hold away from the play in the 3rd quarter stands without the penalty, we easily take a 2 score lead and their defense was gassed.  Done.   Very different outcome without the penalty.

2)  Narrative?   No.  Just the real state of the program where it is right now.    You guys can deny it all you want, but Indiana is far better now than we have been in a long time.

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

1)  The 3 point lead isn't at all what I'm referring to and it's also not the point.   The punt return with the hold away from the play in the 3rd quarter stands without the penalty, we easily take a 2 score lead and their defense was gassed.  Done.   Very different outcome without the penalty.

2)  Narrative?   No.  Just the real state of the program where it is right now.    You guys can deny it all you want, but Indiana is far better now than we have been in a long time.

That literally isn't even true. I don't think you even believe Allen is a good coach, but you're dug into your narrative because you don't want to admit your buddy Fred Glass made a bad hire.

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

If you can’t occasionally beat a ranked team, you can’t consistently make bowls.  Allen has never beaten one, which basically means he has to be perfect against unranked teams to make a bowl...and we haven’t been.  Allen has brought in decent talent....and can’t win with it.  I don’t see how it could be called anything but a bad hire.  Wilson’s tenure might have ended in turmoil but the table was at s minimum set for his successor to succeed and Allen hasn’t.

You don't win games against ranked teams with talented Fr and Soph when those ranked teams are fielding talented upper classmen.