Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/28 3:30PM ET Indiana at (25) Michigan St. BTN

Just now, jk34 said:

Hopefully this young group of talented players, on both sides of ball, will grow and develop together as a group.  Also with the type of guys Allen is bringing in, the development part of it will be accelerated. Penix is a kid you can use as  a recruiting tool. Not saying Allen is answer, but watching IU football for 40 yrs., I have never seen this type of talent, and linemen that look like they physically belong out there, I'm willing to give him a couple more years. Maybe we let him make mistakes along the way, and see where we after Penix's junior year. People laugh about his enthusiasm,  but these kids thoroughly enjoy playing for him. Maybe Glaas will be the one at the end holding up his middle finger. What do we have to lose?

Good points but who is our defensive coordinator? I am legit worried on that side of the ball. Allen had a handle on it when he was a DC but its a complete different ballgame when you are the HC. Saw Allen chewing someone out a few times when the defense was out there. I assume it was d-coordinator. We paid up for an offensive coordinator and now have a QB who is talented enough to win us games with his arm and legs. If we decide Allen is the answer Glass may need to pay up on that side of the ball as well. Our secondary is young but too talented to be giving up the chunk plays to a less than stellar MSU QB. 

I agree Allen has brought in some talented players. Wilson always brought them in on offense but Allen is bringing them in on both sides of the ball. I'm optimistic because what plagued us the last 3 or 4 years with Debourd and having no QB appears to be behind us. It's at least an exciting offense again but I sure hope we do not waste this talented QB's years by not getting better defensively. Talent can elevate it but I am a bit worried about the coaching side...

6 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Good points but who is our defensive coordinator? I am legit worried on that side of the ball. Allen had a handle on it when he was a DC but its a complete different ballgame when you are the HC. Saw Allen chewing someone out a few times when the defense was out there. I assume it was d-coordinator. We paid up for an offensive coordinator and now have a QB who is talented enough to win us games with his arm and legs. If we decide Allen is the answer Glass may need to pay up on that side of the ball as well. Our secondary is young but too talented to be giving up the chunk plays to a less than stellar MSU QB. 

I agree Allen has brought in some talented players. Wilson always brought them in on offense but Allen is bringing them in on both sides of the ball. I'm optimistic because what plagued us the last 3 or 4 years with Debourd and having no QB appears to be behind us. It's at least an exciting offense again but I sure hope we do not waste this talented QB's years by not getting better defensively. Talent can elevate it but I am a bit worried about the coaching side...

Coaching is my biggest concern as well. Coordinators are so important,  as you were saying. Allen gave up his playcalling,  so get the best DC we can, and put in his own scheme , then see where are. Adding talented depth is the next phase of building at least a quality program. Wasn't a lot separating talent on the field yesterday,  just lack of depth wears a team down .

Coaching is my biggest concern as well. Coordinators are so important,  as you were saying. Allen gave up his playcalling,  so get the best DC we can, and put in his own scheme , then see where are. Adding talented depth is the next phase of building at least a quality program. Wasn't a lot separating talent on the field yesterday,  just lack of depth wears a team down .

I thought we did a great job offensively the first 3 quarters protecting our defense. Two minutes into the 4th the announcers made the comment of ball control and we had 30 min to MSU 17 min. Then we got very assertive offensively. I agree on the depth, and we had a few contributors defensively out. But I feel we lost the game when we went assertive and lost all momentum we had built up over the third by exposing our defense. Every time we did that they scored. End of the first half. Three straight runs in the start of the fourth. At the end of the game we had no time management. Every play was down the field. It was just an odd frenetically paced both fast and slow game at different points. If we stick to what we are doing the whole game I think we win.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

56 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I thought we did a great job offensively the first 3 quarters protecting our defense. Two minutes into the 4th the announcers made the comment of ball control and we had 30 min to MSU 17 min. Then we got very assertive offensively. I agree on the depth, and we had a few contributors defensively out. But I feel we lost the game when we went assertive and lost all momentum we had built up over the third by exposing our defense. Every time we did that they scored. End of the first half. Three straight runs in the start of the fourth. At the end of the game we had no time management. Every play was down the field. It was just an odd frenetically paced both fast and slow game at different points. If we stick to what we are doing the whole game I think we win.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree. I thought we take a few shots after drawing the defense up, but not as much as . we did late. Loved the blocking by our receivers and backs.  . Also liked getting SS in open space more,  as opposed to just between the tackles.

Fun fact. Stewart had over 100 yards against other dbs and leads big ten in yards. Can we just start him already. I’ll be happy to give him a few mistakes here and there but at least he plays hard. Our touted DBs mainly upperclassmen have let us down. Let the kid ball. It’s in his veins with his brothers and cousin Lamar Jackson. Kid might be small....too bad he didn’t get his brothers size. 

Credit @PFF_Aaron on twitter 

BEEE7826-5DD2-4511-9409-2B200CEF6D9D.png

3 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Fun fact. Stewart had over 100 yards against other dbs and leads big ten in yards. Can we just start him already. I’ll be happy to give him a few mistakes here and there but at least he plays hard. Our touted DBs mainly upperclassmen have let us down. Let the kid ball. It’s in his veins with his brothers and cousin Lamar Jackson. Kid might be small....too bad he didn’t get his brothers size. 

Fearless!

5 hours ago, lucel15 said:

Credit @PFF_Aaron on twitter 

In full agreement except about wishing he was as big as his brother, only because sadly that would have probably meant he would have been a 5 star recruit and not considering IU. He’s gonna be a starter before the year is up. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I hope Mullen just keeps getting better. We haven’t had a great CB since Tracy Porter.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes, but there are very few Tracy Porters out there in the world haha.

Mullen is legit - very excited to see this team grow over the next few years.

9 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

In full agreement except about wishing he was as big as his brother, only because sadly that would have probably meant he would have been a 5 star recruit and not considering IU. He’s gonna be a starter before the year is up. 

Lol I get that! And many recruiting sites and even IU beat writers have mentioned that if he was 6’ and still weighed what he does he would have been a 5*. Size is what held his rating to a high 3* and low 4* on most sites. 

1 minute ago, lucel15 said:

But then again there’s a cool story about how when he told coach Allen he wanted to commit, he brought up the amount of years it’s been since a bowl, since a winning season, and winning a bowl...etc....he supposedly listed all those numbers and said coach I’m coming here to change those. 

BOOM