Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/21 12:00PM ET Indiana vs UConn BTN

4 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

The team needs to score and our offense isn’t going to be strong enough to execute a high possession march down the field against the B1G.

Penix can capitalize on opportunities created by his playmakers where Ramsey cannot.

Can you and Hoosierfan respond to lucel’s points? He’s laid out a very clear argument.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He argues that Penix gets the ball to receivers in time for them to make plays. Based off what, 1.5 games against Ball State and Eastern Illinois? Chances are the receivers aren't going to be making plays against real teams. Penix has an 8.7 YPA and is completing 63.3% of his passes. Ramsey has an 8.6 YPA and is completing 74.3% of his passes. So, they have essentially identical YPAs. Either Ramsey is getting the ball to receivers in time to make plays downfield or he is successfully throwing passes downfield. If the argument is bat he's doing it against bad teams, well so was Penix. We have no evidence so far that he will get the ball to receivers on time to make plays against legitimate teams. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He argues that Penix gets the ball to receivers in time for them to make plays. Based off what, 1.5 games against Ball State and Eastern Illinois? Chances are the receivers aren't going to be making plays against real teams. Penix has an 8.7 YPA and is completing 63.3% of his passes. Ramsey has an 8.6 YPA and is completing 74.3% of his passes. So, they have essentially identical YPAs. Either Ramsey is getting the ball to receivers in time to make plays downfield or he is successfully throwing passes downfield. If the argument is bat he's doing it against bad teams, well so was Penix. We have no evidence so far that he will get the ball to receivers on time to make plays against legitimate teams. 

Quote me if you want to dispute what I’ve said, I’m trying to have a conversation yet your points are more accurate and have more standing? Nobody’s does this is a message board but you’re choosing to just blatantly ignore what’s been said and seen by people who cover IU sports or have contacts and relatives who have been to practices.  Neither of you have attempted to have a conversation with anyone who are on the other side of the aisle on this. You dismiss what anyone’s saying. I’ve at least read and talked about yours guys points.  

And Because that’s why he was given the job. He has a faster release and can throw a rope down the field that allows players to run in stride to catch it and run. Why is that so hard to just understand, there’s an ability difference.

We aren’t talking about stats. Ramsey has Far more starts for stats reference. So there he wins out you win the argument. Screw ability and screw the possibility of change.

You refer to Penix last season, who played meaningful minutes against PSU. Who wouldn’t have a hesitant stat line in that first real challenge?  Then he gets his first start as a RS frosh.....nobody saying he’s Trevor Lawrence And should be Peyton Manning, but what he can do from an ability standpoint out weighs what you have in Ramsey. Penix is starting his first full season of college football. There’s bound to be hiccups and learning curves. He also makes better reads on rpos. On that aspect of the game in the games against crappy opponents, your guys words....and criteria for judging....Ramsey has been awful in reading crashing ends and when to keep the ball....he could have had untouched runs, but gave it to the RBs where the end was crashing at....Penix in his QB keeps and reads....he made the right reads and gained positive yards. Sorry he performed better in fall camp and everyone saw the same thing. The decision was made middle of camp a week before bsu game prep week. And CTA said it the best it’s not what he can do or did but what he (and the staff) believe he can do and become. 

Heck my gf who doesn’t even follow IU football that close and wouldn’t know how to judge a QB notices the difference in how the ball gets to WRs and how he can read an RPO.....

22 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Quote me if you want to dispute what I’ve said, I’m trying to have a conversation yet your points are more accurate and have more standing? Nobody’s does this is a message board but you’re choosing to just blatantly ignore what’s been said and seen by people who cover IU sports or have contacts and relatives who have been to practices.  Neither of you have attempted to have a conversation with anyone who are on the other side of the aisle on this. You dismiss what anyone’s saying. I’ve at least read and talked about yours guys points.  

And Because that’s why he was given the job. He has a faster release and can throw a rope down the field that allows players to run in stride to catch it and run. Why is that so hard to just understand, there’s an ability difference.

We aren’t talking about stats. Ramsey has Far more starts for stats reference. So there he wins out you win the argument. Screw ability and screw the possibility of change.

You refer to Penix last season, who played meaningful minutes against PSU. Who wouldn’t have a hesitant stat line in that first real challenge?  Then he gets his first start as a RS frosh.....nobody saying he’s Trevor Lawrence And should be Peyton Manning, but what he can do from an ability standpoint out weighs what you have in Ramsey. Penix is starting his first full season of college football. There’s bound to be hiccups and learning curves. He also makes better reads on rpos. On that aspect of the game in the games against crappy opponents, your guys words....and criteria for judging....Ramsey has been awful in reading crashing ends and when to keep the ball....he could have had untouched runs, but gave it to the RBs where the end was crashing at....Penix in his QB keeps and reads....he made the right reads and gained positive yards. Sorry he performed better in fall camp and everyone saw the same thing. The decision was made middle of camp a week before bsu game prep week. And CTA said it the best it’s not what he can do or did but what he (and the staff) believe he can do and become. 

Heck my gf who doesn’t even follow IU football that close and wouldn’t know how to judge a QB notices the difference in how the ball gets to WRs and how he can read an RPO.....

I quoted walking boot because he asked if I was going to address your points. Sorry for not quoting your post as well. I haven't said my points are more accurate or have more standing, so I'm not sure where you're coming from there. I've already said that Penix has more potential and that he has a stronger arm. 

I bring up last season because that's the only reference we have for Penix against legitimate competition. He stunk. There's nothing wrong with saying that Penix is unproven against legitimate competition, which has been my main argument for about four weeks now. It's the truth. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I quoted walking boot because he asked if I was going to address your points. Sorry for not quoting your post as well. I haven't said my points are more accurate or have more standing, so I'm not sure where you're coming from there. I've already said that Penix has more potential and that he has a stronger arm. 

I bring up last season because that's the only reference we have for Penix against legitimate competition. He stunk. There's nothing wrong with saying that Penix is unproven against legitimate competition, which has been my main argument for about four weeks now. It's the truth. 

No worries the quote me was more of a sarcastic tone lol to add some jest into the convo lol. I should have made that more apparent that’s on me. I’m just coming from a place of people and not you obviously don’t understand why or how he was named QB1. To your point, you are correct in there’s nothing wrong with saying he’s unproven against legit teams, but to also cherry pick the one legit team he faced and was thrown in when the offense was sputtering and trying to catch rhythm is somewhat not apples to apples. Also, going off stats yeah he stunk....but also he started off bad with several incompletions and I believe several were dropped by the WRs and then he came on not passing but the game rhythm was coming to him and offense seemed to be clicking...not to mention the crowd all around me was more into the game and had more belief that we had a chance with him....then of course we all know what happened next....ballon popped. All I know is that he was about to take over had he not gotten hurt and by take over I mean starting role....that’s from people close to the program. The coaches were ready to bet it all on Penix. They were ready for him to take full reps and full games over. I get how some people are not convinced yet of his stats.....okay that’s fine, but to the people who don’t care to acknowledge the limitations of what Ramsey can and cannot do.....it’s ignorant and that’s what I’m trying to argue and I should probably stop because I guess I need to argue stats more. It’s become more apparent that it was a mixture of both playbook and ability...again this is not necessarily for you, but others as you acknowledge what he can be....just look at how many times we tested down field we can look at crap teams vs crap teams.....bsu shots down the field thrown in stride completed for a TD and dropped what should have been a TD......UConn tests deep ball with Ramsey, completed but his receiver had to completely stop his route....drive ends in a field goal....I know I’m cherry picking but to the ones who don’t understand why or how this decision was made.....so I’m sorry for taking my frustration and sarcasm out on you lol more of caught in the crossfire thing. Just for the record do I think Penix gives us the win against osu....lol no, but it’s baptism by fire like Caleb Jones had....I wish he could have played for experience, do I think he helps us against MSU given he plays, yes....we saw what MSU did against us last year......loaded the box and safeties played very shallow.....I think safeties and dbs can crowd receivers if Penix is QB. Does it help with run....that’s still TBD....however on that note I’d rather see Bedford play over love....love doesn’t have enough lower body strength to protect either QB. Here’s to hoping we see Penix against a superior opponent