Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/14 12:00PM ET Indiana vs (6) Ohio State FOX

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Ramsey is terrible but Penix hasnt shown us anything against real competition except for a short stretch vs Penn St. I really dont understand the excitement with him.

Because acting like he’s the savior let’s people blame kids like Ramsey instead of whose really at fault 

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

What point am I missing?   Look at this thread and the "Fire Glass" thread.   People want Glass fired and are using this game as a barometer and saying "top programs do ________" whatever it is they think Indiana isn't doing.   I'm not missing the point at all.   Spending money guarantees nothing.  Indiana starts every season 0-3.  That'll be true regardless of how much money we spend.   

You and others claim Indiana has not spent money....and that's simply not accurate.   Assistant coaches are making WAY more than they were and I don't have to tell you about facilities.  Methinks I'm not the one missing the point.  Or at least not missing reality.

Indiana has finished 5th in the BTEast the last..what, 3-4 seasons; so your comment about being better than only Rutgers isn't accurate, either.  (You saw Illinois and Maryland today, right?)  This all boils down to the loss to Purdue a year ago, really because had we won and gone to a bowl, I doubt you'd be as upset.   "Throw money at it" is the argument??  Okay.   You're the same guy who kept telling me how great Ramsey was.    Got it.

You continuing to mock that is getting really, really old just so you’re aware. I’m sorry that you can’t help but to completely take something out of context just so you can attempt to sound smart. 

Because acting like he’s the savior let’s people blame kids like Ramsey instead of whose really at fault 

So after today’s performance, if Penix and Ramsey are both healthy, you’re gonna tell me you’d rather have Ramsey out there??? Nobody is saying that Ramsey is the savior, but he gives us a much better chance to win and is WAY MORE DYNAMIC. He can throw with pro level velocity and a as a freshman is already better than the senior and it’d be silly to say there’s nothing special about him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

So after today’s performance, if Penix and Ramsey are both healthy, you’re gonna tell me you’d rather have Ramsey out there??? Nobody is saying that Ramsey is the savior, but he gives us a much better chance to win and is WAY MORE DYNAMIC, and can throw with pro level velocity.

Dynamic is a buzzword. You sound like the old baseball scouts in Moneyball

5 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

So after today’s performance, if Penix and Ramsey are both healthy, you’re gonna tell me you’d rather have Ramsey out there??? Nobody is saying that Ramsey is the savior, but he gives us a much better chance to win and is WAY MORE DYNAMIC. He can throw with pro level velocity and a as a freshman is already better than the senior and it’d be silly to say there’s nothing special about him.

Michael Penix has played 1 career game against a Power 5 opponent and he went 9-19 for 94 yards. We do not know what he can do against actual competition. Stop acting like he's Michael Vick. 

All I’m saying is Ramsey just isn’t it and you need to accept that and move on and accept this is Penix’s team and he is the future of this program. The “debate/argument” is preposterous. I apologize if he is your son/relative, no disrespect, but he is not moving the needle for this program...feel like we have our very own treed situation here on BTB.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

All I’m saying is Ramsey just isn’t it and you need to accept that and move on and accept this is Penix’s team and he is the future of this program. The “debate/argument” is preposterous. I apologize if he is your son/relative, no disrespect, but he is not moving the needle for this program...feel like we have our very own treed situation here on BTB.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Hate to break it to you but Penix isn’t the future of a good program. Not sure why that’s so hard to understand team is way more than a QB away

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Hate to break it to you but Penix isn’t the future of a good program. Not sure why that’s so hard to understand team is way more than a QB away

Way too early to make that determination. You seem angry.  Did Penix steal Natalie Portman from you?

A good QB can mask a lot of deficiencies for a team however. I think we can agree this program isn’t where we’d like it to be but Penix has the tools to take this program up a level over the next few years...I’m curious to why you don’t think Penix is a viable option for our program to get to the next level. With Ramsey at QB I think we struggle next week vs UConn, but if Penix plays I think we win by 21+...the difference Penix makes is quite a bit IMO.

4 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

A good QB can mask a lot of deficiencies for a team however. I think we can agree this program isn’t where we’d like it to be but Penix has the tools to take this program up a level over the next few years...I’m curious to why you don’t think Penix is a viable option for our program to get to the next level. With Ramsey at QB I think we struggle next week vs UConn, but if Penix plays I think we win by 21+...the difference Penix makes is quite a bit IMO.

You still haven't really explained why you think this beyond buzzwords like "dynamic".. Penix has played against four college teams in his career - Ball State, Florida International, Eastern Illinois, and Penn State. The one game he played against a P5 school he completed under 50% of his passes and had a 4.9 YPA. What about that makes you think the difference Penix makes is "quite a bit"? He's almost a complete unknown against legitimate competition. 

41 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

You continuing to mock that is getting really, really old just so you’re aware. I’m sorry that you can’t help but to completely take something out of context just so you can attempt to sound smart. 

What did you just say????   I'm not trying to sound smart at all.   But I'll tell you this much....standing by an argument as simple as "throw money at it" isn't.

You still haven't really explained why you think this beyond buzzwords like "dynamic".. Penix has played against four college teams in his career - Ball State, Florida International, Eastern Illinois, and Penn State. The one game he played against a P5 school he completed under 50% of his passes and had a 4.9 YPA. What about that makes you think the difference Penix makes is "quite a bit"? He's almost a complete unknown against legitimate competition. 

LeBron James coming out of high school was a complete unknown against NBA teams yet still was seen as the future of the NBA based on the games he played in high school. You don’t necessarily have to see these kids play against a perennial powers before you can assess their talents....Penix was B1G Freshman of the week his first career start and was in the same company as Randel El his first start...there’s a reason traditional power house schools like Tennessee and Florida State recruited him...because they realize his talents. Not that hard to understand really.

The staff must not think Tuttle is ready or talented enough -- or something. For him to come in and throw just two passes in a game that was over after the first quarter is puzzling, especially with the way Ramsey was performing ... Why not play Tuttle for a good bit of the second half, so he can get some experience and so they can see what they have? ... I mean, we lost by six TDs; it wasn't gonna get much worse than that. And if it did, so what? ... Wonder if it's like the Clifton Moore conundrum -- we needed minutes from our bigs on the bench, yet he barely sniffed the court last season. Many of us (including me) wondered why? Turns out, he just wasn't good enough. 

1 minute ago, jbell833 said:

LeBron James coming out of high school was a complete unknown against NBA teams yet still was seen as the future of the NBA based on the games he played in high school. You don’t necessarily have to see these kids play against a perennial powers before you can assess their talents....Penix was B1G Freshman of the week his first career start and was in the same company as Randel El his first game...there’s a reason traditional power house schools like Tennessee and Florida State recruited him...because they realize his talents. Not that hard to understand really.

So now we're likening Michael Penix to LeBron James? Lol. That's awfully lofty. Sure, we could use the one example of a guy actually living up to the hype and ignore the hundreds of guys who never did. IU has had plenty of players with offers from big name schools who never panned out. It's quite premature to put such lofty expectations on a player because he played above average against a few really bad teams. 

So now we're likening Michael Penix to LeBron James? Lol. That's awfully lofty. Sure, we could use the one example of a guy actually living up to the hype and ignore the hundreds of guys who never did. IU has had plenty of players with offers from big name schools who never panned out. It's quite premature to put such lofty expectations on a player because he played above average against a few really bad teams. 

You completely get it...if I were you I’d put my hat in the ring for head coaching position...This staff has seen/coached Peyton for 4 years and have seen Penix in practices/camps/games and made the decision that Penix is clearly the better QB, hence why he was named starter. I’ll take their judgment on this matter over anybody on this board 100 times out of 100 all day.

2 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

You completely get it...if I were you I’d put my hat in the ring for head coaching position...This staff has seen/coached Peyton for 4 years and have seen Penix in practices/camps/games and made the decision that Penix is clearly the better QB, hence why he was named starter. I’ll take their judgment on this matter over anybody on this board 100 times out of 100 all day.

Forget about Ramsey then. If Peyton Ramsey never existed Michael Penix would still be an unknown against legitimate competition. And who knows when we will actually get to see him against it.