Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/14 12:00PM ET Indiana vs (6) Ohio State FOX

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Just gotta be willing to take that chance. Sure if they're successful they'll probably leave for a better program, but that still beats a bad coach willing to stick around.

Yup and when they get poached got to hire the next right guy as IU did with Baseball or Butler does with Basketball and the train starts chugging along. 

I'm shocked Pat Fitzgerald hasn't been poached but lucky for NW.

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Yup and when they get poached got to hire the next right guy as IU did with Baseball or Butler does with Basketball and the train starts chugging along. 

I'm shocked Pat Fitzgerald hasn't been poached but lucky for NW.

Pat is exactly the kind of guy IU needs to find. Dude should be in the NFL coaching by now. 

Northwestern bowls before Pat: 6

Bowls with Pat: 9

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

I hope we aren't saying that for basketball!!

People who I know who are closer to the athletic department then I am think Archie will be right guy and Allen is a joke.

Not sure who is right yet and its all a big guess but that's how a lot of people I know feel.

Just now, Aaron said:

People who I know who are closer to the athletic department then I am think Archie will be right guy and Allen is a joke.

Not sure who is right yet and its all a big guess but that's how a lot of people I know feel.

Just from seeing them in person or on TV, Archie is a no BS kind of guy. Allen is a clown. He's just too much. I usually say most of the time you know by year two if you hired the right coach or not. Look at Kirby at Georgia or Saban at Bama. Hope that's not the case with Archie. He's said and recruited the right way.

Disappointed that we haven't made them work a little harder, but I'm not ready to judge the season just yet. They may just be that good. I need to see us against teams we have a realistic chance to beat. If we look bad then I'll admit we are who we have always been.

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Not disrespect to Allen, but I can see why people think he is a joke. He's hard to take seriously. Stuff like his pre game speech today makes him look like a goober. The players didn't look inspired at all. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Just from seeing them in person or on TV, Archie is a no BS kind of guy. Allen is a clown. He's just too much. I usually say most of the time you know by year two if you hired the right coach or not. Look at Kirby at Georgia or Saban at Bama. Hope that's not the case with Archie. He's said and recruited the right way.

Here's the thing fair or not: IU is ultimately driven by basketball. If Archie succeeds and Allen fails everyone will be happy and everything will be good. If Allen succeeds and Archie fails people will still only be happy to a point. Glass' tenure will ultimately be judged by the success or failure of Archie. With that said doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't try to be competitive in football. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm obviously not around either of them, but publicly Archie acts very professionally while Allen acts like a cheerleader. 

I really wonder even if we don’t make a bowl this year, if Fred will have the balls to let Allen go. I’ll say no, because then it will show it was a bad hire, which many have said it was from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, HoosierRobbie said:

I really wonder even if we don’t make a bowl this year, if Fred will have the balls to let Allen go. I’ll say no, because then it will show it was a bad hire, which many have said it was from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Nahh. Glass only fires coaches who make bowl games. 

6 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

This program is going backwards under Allen. The defense and offensive line are awful. Ever since his players came in the performance has gotten worse. Rhea and Ballou have made no discernible difference in the caliber of athlete IU puts on the field.

But our recruiting class rankings are the best ever!!!!! Haha.

People love to point that out, but I feel like we aren’t seeing any noticeable improvements. I’m not sure why I punish myself every year, just need to accept the program for what it is. 

41 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Agree with baseball. But Tom Allen took a team that went to back-back bowl games (really good for IU!) to back-back 5-7 seasons losing to our rival in the last week. Outside of UConn and Rutgers find me another win. I see 4-8. That would make Tom 14-23. Yikes. I have no faith in him. He can kick all the trash cans he wants and give all the rah rah speeches. He's a good coordinator not a head coach. 

Not saying that we are trending in the right direction but Wilson’s bowl teams both had 6-6 records but he partially  lucked out in that Purdue was historically putrid when  Hazel coached them.  I enjoyed Wilson’s “asterisk wins”, when he stayed close to OSU and Michigan, but he really didn’t beat any good or even average conference teams during his two bowl years as seen below.

6-6.....2-6 in conference (beat Maryland 1-7 in conf and Purdue 1-7)

6-6....4-5 in conference (MSU 1-8, Maryland 3-6, Rutgers 0-9, Purdue 1-9).

Been watching this for a lot of decades and not sure if there is a solution (as OF frequently posts, we are f’d in this division). Maybe Allen should kick bigger trash cans??

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Not saying that we are trending in the right direction but Wilson’s bowl teams both had 6-6 records and he lucked out in that Purdue was historically putrid when  Hazel coached them.  I enjoyed Wilson’s “asterisk wins”, when he stayed close to OSU and Michigan, but he really didn’t beat any good or even average conference teams during his two bowl years as seen below.

6-6.....2-6 in conference (beat Maryland 1-7 in conf and Purdue 1-7)

6-6....4-5 in conference (MSU 1-8, Maryland 3-6, Rutgers 0-9, Purdue 1-9).

Been watching this for a lot of decades and not sure if their is a solution (as OF frequently posts, we are f’d in this division). Maybe Allen should kick bigger trash cans??

The complaints about the division are largely excuses, imo. Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State have all been beatable in recent years. We don't beat the West teams when we play them either, so why should anyone believe we'd be any better in that division?