Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/14 12:00PM ET Indiana vs (6) Ohio State FOX

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Not surprised. Performances like this tend to happen when your coach goes apesh*t trying to fire everyone up. Allen needs to learn how to be a more of a football coach and less of a cheerleader.

Not a Steelers fan, but I always had an appreciation for Chuck Noll. His philosophy was all that rah-rah, cheerleading crap doesn't accomplish diddly squat. The fundamentals you've been taught, how you execute those fundamentals in practice and your preparation are what's going to make a difference. Not ranting and raving about Buster Douglas before the game. 

6 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not a Steelers fan, but I always had an appreciation for Chuck Noll. His philosophy was all that rah-rah, cheerleading crap doesn't accomplish diddly squat. The fundamentals you've been taught, how you execute those fundamentals in practice and your preparation are what's going to make a difference. Not ranting and raving about Buster Douglas before the game. 

I've never liked this type of coach because I feel the rah-rah bullcrap is their way of trying to make up for their inability to actually coach a team. A certain basketball coach who used to work here comes to mind.

1 minute ago, jbell833 said:

How about Ramsey ladies and gentlemen???!!! Time to turn to Tuttle or Reese Taylor. There’s a reason our WR had to throw the only passing TD of the game so far.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tuttle is worse right now. He played against Eastern Illinois and looked worse then Ramsey. I don't like Ramsey at all but he's best we've got among those guys as long as Penix is out.

Nothing about this IU team is impressive. 9 rushing yards in the first half, with 7 of them from the quarterback. How does Stevie Scott go from 1100+ yards as a freshman, to this as a sophomore? Is he injured? Do we have other backs who could do better? I thought that our backfield was supposed to be a strength of ours.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nothing about this IU team is impressive. 9 rushing yards in the first half, with 7 of them from the quarterback. How does Stevie Scott go from 100+ yards as a freshman, to this as a sophomore? Is he injured? Do we have other backs who could do better? I thought that our backfield was supposed to be a strength of ours.

Our O-line is hot garbage. This is a baseball clip but it makes sense today.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nothing about this IU team is impressive. 9 rushing yards in the first half, with 7 of them from the quarterback. How does Stevie Scott go from 1100+ yards as a freshman, to this as a sophomore? Is he injured? Do we have other backs who could do better? I thought that our backfield was supposed to be a strength of ours.

We are totally overmatched today, so it is hard to judge, but the YTD performance of Scott also puzzles me.  I thought he might be another Coleman, Howard etc. but has been disappointing so far this year.

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

We are totally overmatched today, so it is hard to judge, but the YTD performance of Scott also puzzles me.  I thought he might be another Coleman, Howard etc. but has been disappointing so far this year.

I never liked Scott. There were to many times last yr when he was bottled up by average D's (I.E. Rutgers). Now teams have caught on. Hopefully James is the real deal eventually and I like Walker. Never been impressed with Scott or Gest even when they do well.

Sorry guys, rant coming- There is no excuse. Indiana can win in football. Purdue was trash three years ago, they have now made back to back bowl games. Northwestern was terrible in football. They've done pretty well. Why? They have the right coach. I said this last year and got ripped by a few people. Tom Allen isn't the answer. Sure, I didn't like Wilson either. But at least they were trending in the right direction. This program has gone down since he took over. I thought this was a 4-8 team before the season and I still do. They have some nice players but the Big Ten is tough. Everyone was so excited over the past recruiting classes. This is where they stack up in the Big Ten according to ESPN

2019: 9th 

2018: 11th 

2017: 12th

That's not good folks. Average of 11th place. 11th place doesn't make a bowl game in the Big Ten. I don't get why people are even surprised. Purdue has even had a top 25 class. 

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

Sorry guys, rant coming- There is no excuse that Indiana can't win in football. Purdue was trash three years ago, they have now made back to back bowl games. Northwestern was terrible in football. They've done pretty well. Why? They have the right coach. I said this last year and got ripped by a few people. Tom Allen isn't the answer. Sure, I didn't like Wilson either. But at least they were trending in the right direction. This program has gone down since he took over. I thought this was a 4-8 team before the season and I still do. They have some nice players but the Big Ten is tough. Everyone was so excited over the past recruiting classes. This is where they stack up in the Big Ten according to ESPN

That's not good folks. Purdue has even had a top 25 class. 

Yep, the recruiting rankings have been very misleading. Our "best ever" classes are still towards the back of the B1G. We've got below average classes and a below average coach. That's a recipe for disaster.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yep, the recruiting rankings have been very misleading. Our "best ever" classes are still towards the back of the B1G. We've got below average classes and a below average coach. That's a recipe for disaster.

And I really do think IU (not Fred) can hire the right guy. Some young hungry assistant coach would love to turn this program around. All I'm asking for is 6 freaking wins. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Sorry guys, rant coming- There is no excuse. Indiana can win in football. Purdue was trash three years ago, they have now made back to back bowl games. Northwestern was terrible in football. They've done pretty well. Why? They have the right coach. I said this last year and got ripped by a few people. Tom Allen isn't the answer. Sure, I didn't like Wilson either. But at least they were trending in the right direction. This program has gone down since he took over. I thought this was a 4-8 team before the season and I still do. They have some nice players but the Big Ten is tough. Everyone was so excited over the past recruiting classes. This is where they stack up in the Big Ten according to ESPN

That's not good folks. Purdue has even had a top 25 class. 

I do completely agree history means nothing and the right coach can win anywhere.

Just look at our baseball program. We got the right guy in Tracy Smith (which let us make 2 more right hires when he was poached) and turned around 100 years of futility and now we are the best team in the Big Ten. The key is find the right guy whoever that is and follow it up with more good hires when/if they get poached. Butler Basketball has followed that model.

With all that said not quite ready to judge Allen yet but early returns are not great so far.

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

And I really do think IU (not Fred) can hire the right guy. Some young hungry assistant coach would love to turn this program around. All I'm asking for is 6 freaking wins. 

Just gotta be willing to take that chance. Sure if they're successful they'll probably leave for a better program, but that still beats a bad coach willing to stick around.

4 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I do completely agree history means nothing and the right coach can win anywhere.

Just look at our baseball program. We got the right guy in Tracy Smith (which let us make 2 more right hires when he was poached) and turned around 100 years of futility and now we are the best team in the Big Ten. The key is find the right guy whoever that is and follow it up with more good hires when/if they get poached. Butler Basketball has followed that model.

With all that said not quite ready to judge Allen yet but early returns are not great so far.

Agree with baseball. But Tom Allen took a team that went to back-back bowl games (really good for IU!) to back-back 5-7 seasons losing to our rival in the last week. Outside of UConn and Rutgers find me another win. I see 4-8. That would make Tom 14-23. Yikes. I have no faith in him. He can kick all the trash cans he wants and give all the rah rah speeches. He's a good coordinator not a head coach.