Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/14 12:00PM ET Indiana vs (6) Ohio State FOX

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

So what? You think all of Ramsey’s shortcomings on him?  

Looking like a average QB against Ball State does not make you ready for Ohio state. 

You are bringing up a specific stat line to show that Penix's shortcomings against Ball State. I am pointing out that if you watched the game and understood the game, you would realize that the 2nd INT was not on him. Hell, the coaching staff even said as much after the game and reiterated that fact after watching the film. If you want to agree it's not his fault, then why are you bringing it up to showcase his struggles?

Completed 60 percent of his passes with more interceptions than TDs. The fact he threw it 40 times to rack up an overly specific record doesn’t really mean he played all that well 

Not to mention even more dropped TDs than actual TDs. The receivers have not done him any favors this year so far, which is surprising because I was expecting them to be a strength on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Against better teams it’s traditionally viewed as critical to not turn the ball over. Who is better at not turning the ball over. I would say Ramsey. 
OSU wasn’t going to let Penix run and they would stop him running while keeping guys back in coverage leading to interceptions on his risky throws. 
We have seen Ramsey put up damn good numbers against OSU just last year. Not great numbers but serviceable. No turnovers. 

Ramsey threw 13 interceptions last year.

Just now, Miller'sTheMan said:

You are bringing up a specific stat line to show that Penix's shortcomings against Ball State. I am pointing out that if you watched the game and understood the game, you would realize that the 2nd INT was not on him. Hell, the coaching staff even said as much after the game and reiterated that fact after watching the film. If you want to agree it's not his fault, then why are you bringing it up to showcase his struggles?

Not saying he struggled saying he looked decent maybe a bit above average but not the player that Stuhoo described as being the kind to beat OSU

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Not saying he struggled saying he looked decent maybe a bit above average but not the player that Stuhoo described as being the kind to beat OSU

I don't know, I think if you go back and re-watch that game, and add in the yardage he should have had if our receivers could catch the football, you'd be saying the exact opposite. He made a couple glaring mistakes in that game, the INT and an overthrow to Hendershot, but he was very good outside of those.

Dismissing people who have different opinions as people who "don't understand the game" is incredibly lazy argumentation. You've also said nothing to counter the fact that Ramsey played very well against Ohio State last year. 

I’ll counter it with we still lost 49-26. Ramsey’s had his opportunities to win BIG games and he’s not dynamic enough to do so in my opinion...as is the opinion of most of Hoosier Nation. I have nothing against Peyton at all and I’ll be cheering for him harder than anyone in that stadium outside of his parents on Saturday but he’s just not the answer IMO. We know what he can do and what seem to be his limitations. I hope he makes me a believer come Saturday but until he proves that he can win a game against the likes of an Ohio State, then Im going to believe this is Penix’s team. There’s a reason the coaches made the change this year after watching/coaching Peyton for 4 years...I would like to believe they know more than us fans about the players in their program and their capabilities, but maybe not and maybe some of us should apply for a coaching position to take this program to another level.

10 minutes ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

I don't know, I think if you go back and re-watch that game, and add in the yardage he should have had if our receivers could catch the football, you'd be saying the exact opposite. He made a couple glaring mistakes in that game, the INT and an overthrow to Hendershot, but he was very good outside of those.

Doesn’t matter if those were his mistakes or not the offense can’t run offense effectively enough to run with OSU. 

You beat a better team by speeding up the game and playing their style. Look at how Army would have beat Michigan if the refs allowed it. We’re they a high flying offense or a ball control offense?

2 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

I’ll counter it with we still lost 49-26. Ramsey’s had his opportunities to win BIG games and he’s not dynamic enough to do so in my opinion...as is the opinion of most of Hoosier Nation. I have nothing against Peyton at all and I’ll be cheering for him harder than anyone in that stadium outside of his parents on Saturday but he’s just not the answer IMO. We know what he can do and what seem to be his limitations. I hope he makes me a believer come Saturday but until he proves that he can win a game against the likes of an Ohio State, then Im going to believe this is Penix’s team. There’s a reason the coaches made the change this year after watching/coaching Peyton for 4 years...I would like to believe they know more than us fans about the players in their program and their capabilities, but maybe not and maybe some of us should apply for a coaching position to take this program to another level.

They lost because the defense fell off the rails. Your defense and special teams gives up 49 it’s not on the QB

Not a straw man it’s our only basis of comparison since Penix can’t stay on the field. 

We weren’t making comparisons. You said reducing turnovers was the key to giving us a chance against OSU. I pointed out that Ramsey is not exactly a beacon of hope in that department.

They lost because the defense fell off the rails. Your defense and special teams gives up 49 it’s not on the QB

You’re not going to win many games only putting up 26 points in the B1G East either.

Ramsey is a great backup because you know what you are getting out of him. Experience, solid play, and a team guy. I will always root for Ramsey and hope he gets another moment to show why he is so valuable to this team. 

With that said, Peyton Ramsey does not have the big play ability to take IU to the next level. He just doesn't. His throws take way too long to get to receivers down the field and even on quick hitters to the sideline. It gives the defense way too much time to react to the ball in the air and it does not give guys like Whop a chance to make the man miss on screen passes and bubble routes. 

In terms of this argument of penix vs. Ramsey, I think you have to look no further than what Tom Allen said when he announced Penix as the starter. He said it is not anything Peyton has or hasn't done, it is just what I believe Mike CAN be. Mike is a red-shirt freshman who has played a total of 1 full-game from start to finish. In that game he made plays Ramsey has never made and cannot make with both his arm and his feet. Did he make mistakes? of freaking course he did. Some mistakes that maybe Ramsey as a fourth year player wouldn't make. BUt the upside is too much to ignore. That bomb to westbrook on the second drive of the game is proof of that. The absolute laser he threw to Whop last week down the field is also proof. Peyton just cannot make those plays, and you have to have them against the big ten east. You just do. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

Ramsey is a great backup because you know what you are getting out of him. Experience, solid play, and a team guy. I will always root for Ramsey and hope he gets another moment to show why he is so valuable to this team. 

With that said, Peyton Ramsey does not have the big play ability to take IU to the next level. He just doesn't. His throws take way too long to get to receivers down the field and even on quick hitters to the sideline. It gives the defense way too much time to react to the ball in the air and it does not give guys like Whop a chance to make the man miss on screen passes and bubble routes. 

In terms of this argument of penix vs. Ramsey, I think you have to look no further than what Tom Allen said when he announced Penix as the starter. He said it is not anything Peyton has or hasn't done, it is just what I believe Mike CAN be. Mike is a red-shirt freshman who has played a total of 1 full-game from start to finish. In that game he made plays Ramsey has never made and cannot make with both his arm and his feet. Did he make mistakes? of freaking course he did. Some mistakes that maybe Ramsey as a fourth year player wouldn't make. BUt the upside is too much to ignore. That bomb to westbrook on the second drive of the game is proof of that. The absolute laser he threw to Whop last week down the field is also proof. Peyton just cannot make those plays, and you have to have them against the big ten east. You just do. 

Big plays=success?  Which is why we were so successful under Wilson 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

you are totally missing the point man. I don't know what to tell you. 

I’m not missing the point. Your point isn’t correct. 

Our defense does not have the depth to ever be successful if our offense is making big plays. We saw it time and time again under wilson