Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/14 12:00PM ET Indiana vs (6) Ohio State FOX

33 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

The 2 people on this forum that actually prefer Ramsey over Penix are about to get their wish but will finally see why Ramsey is not the answer. I hope Ramsey pulls this off if Penix doesn’t play and I’ll be at the game rooting my tail off for him but without Penix, we stand NO CHANCE! Please prove me wrong Ramsey.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Stop pretending like there is a big enough difference between the two that we go from a chance to no chance. 

If we're being real we have no chance regardless unless God himself lines up under center, and even then it'd be a toss up. 

I think we had a legit chance to pull this off this year. OSU isn’t Alabama. They beat Florida Atlantic 45-21 at home and UCF beat them 48-14 the following week on the ROAD. I think even with Ramsey we can keep it close until late 3rd quarter but he just doesn’t have enough to give us an actual chance down the stretch. I’m really hoping Penix is being held out of practice this week for precautionary reasons this week but still plays.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

I think we had a legit chance to pull this off this year. OSU isn’t Alabama. They beat Florida Atlantic 45-21 at home and UCF beat them 48-14 the following week on the ROAD. I think even with Ramsey we can keep it close until late 3rd quarter but he just doesn’t have enough to give us an actual chance down the stretch. I’m really hoping Penix is being held out of practice this week for precautionary reasons this week but still plays.

I mean, Ramsey threw for 322 yards and 3 touchdowns last year against Ohio State, with 0 interceptions. I'm not seeing the reason for despair if he is the quarterback on Saturday, at least not anymore than is usual for a game against Ohio State. He played well against them last year and is a seasoned veteran. He has lots of Big 10 experience. With a much improved OC he might be better than before. Whatever potential he may have, this would still be Penix's first career Big 10 start, against the best team in the conference at that. 

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Stop pretending like there is a big enough difference between the two that we go from a chance to no chance. 

I'm not pretending; I think the difference between Ramsey and Penix is the difference between "a chance' and "practically no chance."

13 hours ago, Aaron said:

Guess its a lesson to media to always ask why a player came out early regardless of how innocent it seems. I like the IU media for the most part but they dropped the ball here a bit.

A starting QB coming out early of a 52-0 blowout isn't necessarily all that surprising. 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm not pretending; I think the difference between Ramsey and Penix is the difference between "a chance' and "practically no chance."

Against better teams it’s traditionally viewed as critical to not turn the ball over. Who is better at not turning the ball over. I would say Ramsey. 

OSU wasn’t going to let Penix run and they would stop him running while keeping guys back in coverage leading to interceptions on his risky throws. 

We have seen Ramsey put up damn good numbers against OSU just last year. Not great numbers but serviceable. No turnovers. 

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Because of what, some nice plays against really bad teams? The only time Penix has played a team close to Ohio State's level was last year against Penn State, and he went 9-19 for 94 yards. Ramsey threw for 300+ and 3 touchdowns against Ohio State last year and had us up 17-14 on the road with under 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Ramsey has shown that he can play against the best teams in the conference. Penix hasn't, so I'm not sure why people are writing Ramsey off. Penix is the unproven quarterback in this situation, not Ramsey. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Because of what, some nice plays against really bad teams? The only time Penix has played a team close to Ohio State's level was last year against Penn State, and he went 9-19 for 94 yards. Ramsey threw for 300+ and 3 touchdowns against Ohio State last year and had us up 17-14 on the road with under 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Ramsey has shown that he can play against the best teams in the conference. Penix hasn't, so I'm not sure why people are writing Ramsey off. Penix is the unproven quarterback in this situation, not Ramsey. 

Because of the talent needed to make plays against a defense full of elite athletes. Penix has already shown the ability to get the ball into receivers' hands very quickly, which leaves them room to run before they get blown up. Ramsey is accurate and tough as nails, but he often throws an accurate pass that arrives with no time for a receiver to do much with it.

I think that Ramsey is a fantastic backup because he is game tested, but Penix is on a different level.

Against better teams it’s traditionally viewed as critical to not turn the ball over. Who is better at not turning the ball over. I would say Ramsey. 

OSU wasn’t going to let Penix run and they would stop him running while keeping guys back in coverage leading to interceptions on his risky throws. 

We have seen Ramsey put up damn good numbers against OSU just last year. Not great numbers but serviceable. No turnovers. 

“Serviceable” doesn’t win you games against teams like Ohio State. His throws are weak and not near as crisp in comparison to Penix which allows defenders to get to the ball quicker and break up potential big plays...I’m not hating on Ramsey at all but I think Penix gives us a better chance. College Football analysts are already comparing Penix to Randle El, even the guys that coached/played against Randle El himself...I think that says something to the special kind of player he is.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Because of the talent needed to make plays against a defense full of elite athletes. Penix has already shown the ability to get the ball into receivers' hands very quickly, which leaves them room to run before they get blown up. Ramsey is accurate and tough as nails, but he often throws an accurate pass that arrives with no time for a receiver to do much with it.

I think that Ramsey is a fantastic backup because he is game tested, but Penix is on a different level.

We haven't seen Penix do that against a defense full of elite athletes yet. He threw two interceptions against Ball State. We could afford it against them, but we can't against Ohio State. It just seems odd to me to lose any hope because Ramsey is playing when he's played very well against Ohio State in the past. This time he gets the benefit of playing at home. We're talking about our freshman starter getting hurt and being replaced by a guy who went for 300+ and 3 touchdowns last year against the same team. 

Heck, just last week Ramsey went 13/14 for 226 yards and 2 touchdowns. Sure the other team was terrible, but it was the same team Penix played. If we're going to give a lot of weight to Penix's performances against bad teams then we should do the same for Ramsey.

I left last week early with my daughter and missed Tuttle. I heard rumors that he was an interception machine all pre-season, anyone have any insight into how he looked, how far he is behind Ramsey on the depth chart?

Whoever is the QB, I hope the boys are fired up and ready to play. This program badly needs a breakthrough win...

BTW...beer selection is great. Was very wierd drinking a Dragonfly, kept thinking someone was going to come and take it haha.  

Anybody who doesn’t see this, has never played football before or really doesn’t understand the game. Hit the nail on the head here.

18 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Anybody who doesn’t see this, has never played football before or really doesn’t understand the game. Hit the nail on the head here.

Dismissing people who have different opinions as people who "don't understand the game" is incredibly lazy argumentation. You've also said nothing to counter the fact that Ramsey played very well against Ohio State last year. 

I left last week early with my daughter and missed Tuttle. I heard rumors that he was an interception machine all pre-season, anyone have any insight into how he looked, how far he is behind Ramsey on the depth chart?  

Granted, I wasn’t paying quite as much attention when Tuttle was in, but he didn’t really show much that impressed. Definitely seemed to be the third string by quite a large margin.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

He’s barely doing that against ball state and now all of a sudden he’s going to be able to do it against OSU?

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

He’s barely doing that against ball state and now all of a sudden he’s going to be able to do it against OSU?

Setting the top passing mark for a quarterback in a debut since Antwaan, in a game where we had at least 5 or 6 blatantly dropped passes that would have made his total yardage even more impressive, is "barely" doing that for you? 

4 minutes ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

Setting the top passing mark for a quarterback in a debut since Antwaan, in a game where we had at least 5 or 6 blatantly dropped passes that would have made his total yardage even more impressive, is "barely" doing that for you? 

Completed 60 percent of his passes with more interceptions than TDs. The fact he threw it 40 times to rack up an overly specific record doesn’t really mean he played all that well 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Completed 60 percent of his passes with more interceptions than TDs. The fact he threw it 40 times to rack up an overly specific record doesn’t really mean he played all that well 

Do you watch the games or just look at the stat sheet? Because that 2nd INT wasn't on him at all.

Interesting that you bring up his number of attempts, because his average yards per throw were significantly higher in that game than what Ramsey's career stats have been up to this point.