Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PG - Andre Curbelo

I wonder how Green plays into this recruitment. Same HS however I’m not sure of how he would sell his experience at IU thus far. The perceived attitude problems early last season seem to have been put aside and he really showed improvement toward the end of the season. Would he sell his personal development as a player to CAM and talk it up to Curbelo? If he does then I could see us in a stronger position than I have recently thought. It’s not like we’re up against the Big Boy$ in this recruitment. We should be able compete with all of them on a level playing field with the possible exception of the Duck$.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Green won’t have any impact I don’t think. They know each other and ran into each other at his old school. His dad played with Orlando the assistant at Illinois so that’s a connection with some meaning

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 9/6/2019 at 9:29 AM, mdn82 said:

When he was on JV as a freshman and came off the bench early as a sophomore he said he didn’t handle it well. That concerns me for fit.

It would concern me more if it was had been a problem that he didn’t recognize

Evan Daniels -

Four-star recruit Andre Curbelo recently narrowed his list of schools to five and now has scheduled three official visit dates, his coach Jay David tells 247Sports.

Curbelo, a standout at Long Island (N.Y.) Lutheran, is down to five schools -- Illinois, Indiana, Miami, Oregon and St. John’s.

Miami will get the first official visit from Curbelo this coming weekend. Illinois will get their opportunity to host Curbelo the weekend of Oct. 18, he'll then visit Oregon the following weekend (Oct. 25).

“[We are] still working on the others,” David told 247Sports.

Curbelo is one of the top available point prospects in the 2020 recruiting class. He currently ranks No. 55 overall and as the No. 9 point guard in the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Over the summer, Curbelo played for Puerto Rico in the FIBA u19 World Cup. Through seven games, Curbelo averaged 11.1 points, 5.6 assists and 3.6 rebounds a game.

Seems like a good get. I worry slightly about Underwood getting momentum going. Illinois has the potential to be a strong B1G program. Some suspect thats happening.

I think Dosunmu and that Georgi guy form a pretty dynamic duo. Cockburn or whatever is an imposing addition.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Seems like a good get. I worry slightly about Underwood getting momentum going. Illinois has the potential to be a strong B1G program. Some suspect thats happening.

I think Dosunmu and that Georgi guy form a pretty dynamic duo. Cockburn or whatever is an imposing addition.

Somehow, despite their roster turning over something like 50% each year with Underwood, they've managed to form a talented core of players.

Orlando Antigua. He’s the recruiter. Former Calipari “bag man.” Enough said. They’re cheating for sure.

For sure. Which is why I think they could catch lightning in a bottle. Talent can win despite coaching, and Underwood isn’t a total slouch. Gets kids to play hard.

We’ll see. I’m not sold but I’m keeping an eye on it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I really like the fit with what Underwood does offensively. Not sure the kid’s long enough or quick enough laterally to fit that extreme denial defensive structure that he runs. 

For sure. Which is why I think they could catch lightning in a bottle. Talent can win despite coaching, and Underwood isn’t a total slouch. Gets kids to play hard.

We’ll see. I’m not sold but I’m keeping an eye on it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t know, Underwood has looked really friggin bad.

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

What a history with this  kid.

Zagoria with a re-tweet --  Former St. John’s point guard André Curbelo has been suspended indefinitely from the Puerto Rican National Team.

FWIW, he ended up transferring to Southern Miss.

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

What a history with this  kid.

Zagoria with a re-tweet --  Former St. John’s point guard André Curbelo has been suspended indefinitely from the Puerto Rican National Team.

Another headcase Miller missed on. His terrible recruiting did have some positives.

One thing I will say:  at some point someone needs to seriously examine him for CTE.  He was a little goofy as a freshman but started going off the rails as a sophomore.  Suffered a concussion that year and missed a lot of games...remember him doing strange things on the bench -- think he got a tech one game, another game on a dead ball the ball went to him and he shot it from the bench during a time out.  I recall a case later in the year after he was back that he took a pretty hard bump that I don't think Illinois looked at that much and I'm sure if Curbelo was suffering symptoms, he wouldn't have come forward because of the time he missed after the first one.

Just read that he also suffered a concussion in practice while at St. John's last year -- prior to their last regular season game against Marquette and he sat out the rest of the year (Marquette game plus two Big East tournament games).