Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PG - Andre Curbelo

IU offered today.  4-star PG attends Long Island Lutheran HS (Devonte Green's school); played on the Adidas circuit for the NY Jayhawks.  Ranked 52nd overall by 247 and the #7 PG

The Daily Hoosier Summary

Rivals

ESPN

Andre Curbelo '20 (PG) - NY Jayhawks                  
Date W/L Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Blks. Stls.
4/13 W 14 6 9 0 2 2 4 6 10 0 0 0
4/13 L 21 10 23 1 2 0 1 3 4 0 0 0
4/14 W 14 6 8 0 0 2 2 4 3 0 0 2
4/14 W 20 9 12 0 1 2 2 5 4 6 0 5
4/27 W                        
4/27 W                        
4/27 L 19 6 14 1 2 6 9 4 12 5 1 2
4/28 W 13 6 14 0 1 1 2 4 3 1 1 1
7/11 W 12 5 10 0 0 2 2 4 4 2 0 3
7/11 W 14 7 16 0 0 0 2 7 7 3 0 1
7/12 W 18 7 7 0 0 4 4 2 4 0 0 0
7/12 W 26 13 20 0 0 0 0 2 10 0 0 0
7/13 L 17 7 13 0 0 3 3 7 6 5 0 3
7/18 W 13 5 11 1 3 2 2 5 4 3 0 0
7/19 W 13 5 14 0 1 3 5 1 2 2 1 2
7/19 W 20 9 15 0 0 2 2 7 8      
7/20 L 16 7 12 0 2 2 2 1 5      

Avg   16.7 55%   21%   74%   4 6 2 0 1
# Gms   15                      

In the video on the other page he seems to use his body to shield the defender really well. I really like his runner too. Would like to see how good he is at making the simple play too. Definitely a lot of bigger boys in the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not the good vibes I got from Galloway, Leal, and Geronimo. Starting guard spot isn’t likely. Good minutes early on could be questionable also. We’ll see.

Otherwise fairly good thoughts and comments.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Am I wrong to think it will be difficult to get a PG Like Curbelo to commit to IU while RP is still here? Especially with the possibility of Lander committing the following season? Whoever commits is likely to be back up next year and if Lander commits will likely be pushed further down the depth chart.

He certainly would be a welcomed addition, but I just don't see someone like him, who is clearly skilled enough to play and possibly start somewhere, wanting to commit to a situation where he will be down the depth chart for a few years.

I doubt too many recruits worry or even think about who might be recruited in the class behind them, i.e., Lander.   As for worrying about RP being ahead of him, maybe a little concern but too many of these kids have drank the Kool-Aid that they're the next greatest and they think they'll just take over a program.  That's using a very broad paint brush and in no way does it apply to every high school kid, but the fact is, it does happen with too many.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/09/05/q-a-2020-point-guard-andre-curbelo-talks-iu-offer/

An interesting tidbit here: "I’d been talking to the assistant coaches … coach (Mike) Roberts and coach (Tom) Ostrom there for a while …"

Roberts making an impact on the trail. Also not sure how long a "while" is but Roberts has only been on the staff officially for a couple weeks.

Interesting. He left PR because he was one of the best players because he wanted more of a challenge. Even though he talks of starting early in college I wonder if he is still open to going somewhere where he will again have to earn his time.

Interesting. He left PR because he was one of the best players because he wanted more of a challenge. Even though he talks of starting early in college I wonder if he is still open to going somewhere where he will again have to earn his time.

When he was on JV as a freshman and came off the bench early as a sophomore he said he didn’t handle it well. That concerns me for fit.

When he was on JV as a freshman and came off the bench early as a sophomore he said he didn’t handle it well. That concerns me for fit.

The thing is we don’t know what the staff is telling him what his role would be. We might not see him getting significant minutes early but they might. They are making it clear they are trying to get a pg and most of them are pretty highly rated.

The thing is we don’t know what the staff is telling him what his role would be. We might not see him getting significant minutes early but they might. They are making it clear they are trying to get a pg and most of them are pretty highly rated.

I don’t see Archie as the type to blow smoke up a kids butt. At 6’0” he has one position. Where would those minutes come from? Are Rob’s minutes going to decrease when he becomes a Junior and Senior? I don’t see that. If the kid had versatility to knock down shots or play some at the 2 maybe. Rob could play some at the 2 but if our best lineup has Rob at the 2 anymore than 5-8 mpg I think we have bigger problems. But he has had many other schools on him longer that he seems more enamored with so the point is moot imo. I do see us getting a PG, but I think we will see that with someone with more size and the ability to make a shot outside of 10 feet.

Nick Baumgart on Curbelo using Synergy data and comparing him to Hassan Diarra.

Diarra 17.4% TO rate on 299 possessions vs Curbelo's 17% on 317 possessions is a wash. Offensively, Diarra seems to be touch better.  From reports, he's better defensively than Curbelo. Although Diarra isn't perfect fit for Archie's system, he had the better numbers last summer.

Curbelo's work from Gauntlet indicates:

•Better in 1/2court v transition

•Good around basket

•Poor shooter beyond 12-15'

•Some questionable shot selection

•below average in 2-man game

I wonder how Green plays into this recruitment. Same HS however I’m not sure of how he would sell his experience at IU thus far. The perceived attitude problems early last season seem to have been put aside and he really showed improvement toward the end of the season. Would he sell his personal development as a player to CAM and talk it up to Curbelo? If he does then I could see us in a stronger position than I have recently thought. It’s not like we’re up against the Big Boy$ in this recruitment. We should be able compete with all of them on a level playing field with the possible exception of the Duck$.

I wonder how Green plays into this recruitment. Same HS however I’m not sure of how he would sell his experience at IU thus far. The perceived attitude problems early last season seem to have been put aside and he really showed improvement toward the end of the season. Would he sell his personal development as a player to CAM and talk it up to Curbelo? If he does then I could see us in a stronger position than I have recently thought. It’s not like we’re up against the Big Boy$ in this recruitment. We should be able compete with all of them on a level playing field with the possible exception of the Duck$.

Oregon is one of the biggest offenders. I don’t trust Illinois under it’s shade ball coach. Miami....need I say more. New St. John’s....

Another interesting list. That’s all I have to say about that. It’s not geographical... its not by conference. What’s the connection? Lol.

For Indiana being relatively clean, we sure tangle with the best of them...

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app