Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2019 Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic

We open the season Friday night against Pitt @ 8 pm. Sunday's game is on BTN. Set the DVR. Go Hoosiers! #Q49

Friday, Aug. 30
5:00 pm: UCLA vs Northwestern
8:00 pm: IU vs Pittsburgh - Live Stats

Sunday, Sep. 1
5:00 pm: Northwestern vs Pittsburgh
8:00 pm: IU vs UCLA - BTN // Live Stats

Preview

SCOUTING THE PANTHERS
• Last season, Pittsburgh posted a record of 8-10-1 on the season and notched the program's first victory in the ACC Tournament, a 2-0 win at No. 7 Virginia. The Panthers were then edged at No. 8 Duke, 0-0, in penalty kicks.
• Pitt also notched impressive victories over No. 12 NC State, Clemson and Columbia in 2018.
• In a preseason poll conducted by the ACC coaches, Pittsburgh was picked to finish sixth in the stacked Coastal Division.
• Forward Edward Kizza, who scored a team-best 15 goals last season, was named to the ACC Preseason Watch List.
• Friday's meeting will be the first between the two programs.

I will be there Sunday and watching tonight on BTN+. Pitt is tough but inferior. UCLA generally has equal talent but struggled recently similar to how we did 2013-2015. I expect us to win tonight and then UCLA is a true tossup. Curious to see all the new guys who looked good in exhibition play. Still look better then everyone but the top few teams who we are equal to but need to beat sometimes. 

Not sure what in the world has happened tonight. Down 2-0 and have played the worst half of soccer I have seen an IU team play since the Freitag era getting destroyed in every aspect. I know we have lost 10 starters but I saw all three exhibition games and we looked just fine dominating the two weaker teams and losing to Louisville playing toe to toe and they are certainly better than Pitt.

Yeagley won't stand for this. This is honestly the most embarrassing soccer I have seen in a long long long time from us. Not connecting on passes at all, committing cheap turnovers, getting dominated in possession and deservedly down big to a decent but not great Pitt team.

One note: Big Ten has full VAR now for every match rather than just goal line technology as it has had in past years it appears.  

Like I said Yeagley wouldn't stand for that. Come out a different team in second half and wipe out deficit in 12 minutes. Josh Penn scored on a strike up top just outside the box for the first then Black headed in a rebound off a corner. Penn for his one year here (and yes I am fairrly sure he is one and done from something I heard behind the scenes) is an absolute stud. 2-2 30 min left.

To OT tied 2-2. Still looked a bit young and inexperienced like I expected but we played harder and with heart as I would expect. Good to see a young team bounce back after the worst first half for an IU team in many years.

I am going to say it now: The biggest difference between the end of 2004 when Jerry Yeagley retired til 2015 (besides the sudden hotness and 2012 Natl championship run in tourney after mediocre year) and 2016 on is our ability to pull out clutch wins with late goals, golden goals and PK wins. For the first 11 yrs post Jerry every close match seemingly went against us and the last 3 and now tonight every close match has gone our way with clutch win after clutch win. A big part of it is the recruiting is back to top top classes again but the other piece is pulling out the close ones. I have said it since 2016 and even more so since 2017 that we have finally returned to the glory days in the way we play after a decade of relative mediocrity by our standards and tonight reinforced it.

This team still has a lot to learn and is young but definitely carries the talent of 2016 on once it grows up. We will definitely will have some immature moments due to our youth, but I doubt we ever play a first half as bad as that in my lifetime again. That this young team was able to over come it all and win is really impressive.  Should be a fun ride this year.

Another young moment as Goumballe whiffs on a shot in front of goal. Goalie may of saved it but blew a golden opportunity. Like I said earlier talent there but passing still not connecting as well as a typical Hoosier team.

End the of 1st half scoreless. IU still had issues connecting on passes at times but much better first half on Friday. If IU comes out as strong as they did in second half Friday they should have this one.