Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) C Logan Duncomb to Xavier

Duncomb isn't going to be a high scorer.  That's not his niche.  He isn't that on his HS team.  His strengths are fundamentals, IQ, team first mentality, do what it takes to win, etc.  I know this is all cliche but its true.  I think the Brunk comparisons are quite good.  
None of that says he's a bad signing.  I'm excited about it.  Now, he won't be Zeller or TJD out of the gate.  That i'm confident to say.  I also have no clue what he can turn himself into.  To me though, personally, I love fundamental players but i love physical, intimidating, shot blocking bigs more.  
For example, say we got a Kofi Cockburn type player.  Kid was dynamic and made a huge impact on every game.  He was more impactful than Duncomb will be as a frosh.  BUT Kofi is leaving after one year, and likely doesn't have all those positive attributes i described of Duncomb above. Say Duncomb is patient, and works hard and can overcome some athletic/strength type deficiencies maybe that's a better get in the long run.
So a Cockburn type signing, much more exciting on the front end but a Duncomb signing COULD be a better type signing in the long run.  

How could you be so negative?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I started this out several pages ago by saying Duncomb is ranked about where Joey Brunk was ranked coming out of high school so we can expect that Duncomb will be roughly the kind of player Brunk is. After all, he was recruited to replace Brunk who completes his eligibility in a year. Some took offense at that but I think Brunk is a good player who plays hard and has shown some important leadership qualities. Brunk may not start all of next year as Race Thompson develops but he will still get decent playing time and will likely contribute important minutes. If that's what we get out of Duncomb, that's a solid recruit and as LCS says it probably also means we have recruited a 5-star at Trayce Jackson Davis' level to replace TJD when he leaves. I think everyone is sort of agreeing although some predict starting numbers by Duncomb's 3rd or 4th year. It could happen. We'll see. There is good reason to be pleased either way.

I started this out several pages ago by saying Duncomb is ranked about where Joey Brunk was ranked coming out of high school so we can expect that Duncomb will be roughly the kind of player Brunk is. After all, he was recruited to replace Brunk who completes his eligibility in a year. Some took offense at that but I think Brunk is a good player who plays hard and has shown some important leadership qualities. Brunk may not start all of next year as Race Thompson develops but he will still get decent playing time and will likely contribute important minutes. If that's what we get out of Duncomb, that's a solid recruit and as LCS says it probably also means we have recruited a 5-star at Trayce Jackson Davis' level to replace TJD when he leaves. I think everyone is sort of agreeing although some predict starting numbers by Duncomb's 3rd or 4th year. It could happen. We'll see. There is good reason to be pleased either way.

They are just butthurt because I said it lol.

I think Duncomb is going to be better than Brunk. Duncomb is 6’9 with a 7’4 wingspan and is 16 years old, with the possibility to keep growing. That wingspan will allow him to be a more versatile defender than Brunk could ever be. He’s also more athletic than Brunk. I like Brunk, but I think Duncomb is a notch above him for the reasons stated. 

10 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Joey Brunk was ranked 107 in his class. Averages 5.6 points and 3.5 rebounds for his career. So we are going to be mad if Duncomb turns out to be about the same?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

By your logic, its equally as likely we have just landed a guy who will average 24 points and 10 rebounds and be a national player of the year candidate by his junior season. 

10 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So he’ll be doing what Vonleh and TJD as freshman, as a senior? Honestly, by the time he’s a senior, we should still be recruiting McDonalds All-American bigs who will start over him. Now if he wants to average 10-12 off the bench, that’d be great.

You do realize that the model is changing in college sports in the next 2 years. The McD 1 and dones will be going straight to the NBA, not college. So you need guys who can develop over years. LD could average 15-8 his senior year, all depends on development. Think the Wisconsin model for big men, that’s what we are going to. Then sprinkle in a TJD and KL a yea. Then you have yourself a final four caliber team. But when those guys leave after 2 years, you need guys like LD ready to step in and produce. That’s how you sustain success and not have the highs and lows where you miss the NCAA’s. 

I highly doubt we are done recruiting big. Be happy we got a guy who could be a very solid piece down the road. Hell maybe he blows up over the next year and becomes a top 50 recruit. Who knows. 

Also, you expect LD to be a bench player but his actual rating score is higher than Leal who you have as a starter. Leal is a .9522 on 24/7, LD is a .9556 on 24/7. I think both will be starts by their junior years but not expecting it as freshmen. 

“How dare you be optimistic and believe we can recruit people better than Duncomb!”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
It's not that. We should always strive to recruit the best. It is your other opinions that you present as facts, that people argue with. You don't know he is going to be 5 point 5 rebound guy. Yet you present it as fact

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's not that. We should always strive to recruit the best. It is your other opinions that you present as facts, that people argue with. You don't know he is going to be 5 point 5 rebound guy. Yet you present it as fact

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No I said we’d be lucky to get that over his career. Meaning he could average 2 points a game his freshman year and grow from there. It’s an average. And it means that we are still recruiting top talent. I’ve alert said it was a good get that adds depth.

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

No I said we’d be lucky to get that over his career. Meaning he could average 2 points a game his freshman year and grow from there. It’s an average. And it means that we are still recruiting top talent. I’ve alert said it was a good get that adds depth.

I agree with you that most likely he won't be a statistical beast.

I just think people disagree with the "we'd be lucky" statement. I think to be lucky means Logan turns into an all BIG player and stays four years. The career averages you posted are the realistic expectations IMO, which are perfectly fine. Shows by his upperclassman years he is averaging like 10 and 7 or something. This counteracts his low averages as an underclassman

In a perfect world, I think he'd be an ideal candidate to redshirt to give his body more time to develop as he is young for his grade level.

On another note regarding his scoring average this past high school season.  The biggest share of Moeller's games were blowouts and its starting 5 got lots of bench time as a result.  3 of the 5 averaged right at the 14 ppg level, one of whom was a senior.  The entire team's stats are available at the link below.  Interesting to follow next year to see if he becomes more of a focal point in the Moeller offense.

http://gcls.gclsports.com/bkTeamStats.aspx?satc=159&year=2019&schoolid=17

In a perfect world, I think he'd be an ideal candidate to redshirt to give his body more time to develop as he is young for his grade level.
On another note regarding his scoring average this past high school season.  The biggest share of Moeller's games were blowouts and its starting 5 got lots of bench time as a result.  3 of the 5 averaged right at the 14 ppg level, one of whom was a senior.  The entire team's stats are available at the link below.  Interesting to follow next year to see if he becomes more of a focal point in the Moeller offense.

He is probably going to play major minutes early on. IU is going to be able to offer minutes at the 5 with Brunk, and most likely Jackson-Davis gone. Definitely a plus for IU when compared to other rosters.

47 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The GCl, his high school conference, is also notorious for playing really slow-paced basketball because of the pack-line defense. Could contribute to his point production. 

He is probably going to play major minutes early on. IU is going to be able to offer minutes at the 5 with Brunk, and most likely Jackson-Davis gone. Definitely a plus for IU when compared to other rosters.

That’s why Archie has to continue recruiting top notch talent.

That’s why Archie has to continue recruiting top notch talent.

every D-1 power 5 coach should continue recruiting top notch talent despite landing their top targets. Thats the name of the game