Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

Season Predictions 2019-2020

So you're saying their not a lock to make the tourney.You're not really going out on a limb with that.
I'm going a little farther out on a limb; I'm saying that
  • Illinois' 12-21 team from last year does not have three of the top 25 returning players in the conference.
  • Ain't no way in the world that Trent Frazier is a top 25 player in the conference; if you'd rather have him on a roster than Phinisee you're crazy. Frazier is an undersized two guard who does not defend much. He is not an efficient offensive player either.
  • Illinois has a nice enough trio of guards; Ayo is a big talent. But their front line, save for Georghi B and a 50-ish ranked raw freshman, is utter crap. As in, Kipper Nichols and a 300+ ranked freshman are their backups at the 4 and 5 spot.
  • If Illinois gets to .500 overall that's a major improvement for them; that's about where I would expect them to end up.

Well if you want to compare Phinisee and Frazier

-Phinisee: 27.6 minutes, 6.8 points, 2.9 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals, 1.3 turnovers, 36.1% FG, 39.5% 2FG, 31% 3FG, 66% FT, 10.9 PER, 16.5% usage, 1.8 WS.

-Frazier: 30.5 minutes, 13.7 points, 2.6 assists, 2.3 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 2.0 turnovers, 41.1% FG, 41.7% 2FG, 40.6% 3FG, 75.9% FT, 15.7 PER, 23.4% usage, 2.4 WS.

Those are honestly about the stats we could hope for from Phinisee in his Sophomore season as Frazier did in his Sophomore year. And when it came to B1G play, Illinois only lost 1 game less and beat MSU and Maryland. Now we were definitely the better team last year but we still lost Romeo and Juwan. And for the media, that’s massive for a team that already struggled. And the media loves great guards and Ayo is one of the best in the B1G. If you believe Indiana can be good, gottabe able to believe Illinois could be good.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

-Phinisee: 27.6 minutes, 6.8 points, 2.9 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals, 1.3 turnovers, 36.1% FG, 39.5% 2FG, 31% 3FG, 66% FT, 10.9 PER, 16.5% usage, 1.8 WS.

-Frazier: 30.5 minutes, 13.7 points, 2.6 assists, 2.3 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 2.0 turnovers, 41.1% FG, 41.7% 2FG, 40.6% 3FG, 75.9% FT, 15.7 PER, 23.4% usage, 2.4 WS.

Those are honestly about the stats we could hope for from Phinisee in his Sophomore season as Frazier did in his Sophomore year. And when it came to B1G play, Illinois only lost 1 game less and beat MSU and Maryland. Now we were definitely the better team last year but we still lost Romeo and Juwan. And for the media, that’s massive for a team that already struggled. And the media loves great guards and Ayo is one of the best in the B1G. If you believe Indiana can be good, gottabe able to believe Illinois could be good.

I believe that both Indiana and Illinois can be about 4 wins better this year.

That’d put IU at 23-12 and Illinois at 16-17.

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Those are honestly about the stats we could hope for from Phinisee in his Sophomore season as Frazier did in his Sophomore year. 

Good stat summary:

You’re saying that as Phin matures his assist to TO ratio will get worse and be as bad as Frazier’s? 

Geez I hope not.  ;)

Good stat summary:
You’re saying that as Phin matures his assist to TO ratio will get worse and be as bad as Frazier’s? 
Geez I hope not.  ;)

Phinisee is better with the ball. But we can only hope he averages 13 a game and improves his 3pt and FT shooting by 10%. That’d be a huge help.

Good stat summary:
Geez I hope not.  ;)

And that ratio is better but you can also look at it that Fraziers TO% was 14% and Phinisees was 14.5%. But Phinisee is a better passer and a more willing passer. But that also had to do with the roles of each player.

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Phinisee is better with the ball. But we can only hope he averages 13 a game and improves his 3pt and FT shooting by 10%. That’d be a huge help.

In fairness, Phinisee was shooting right around 40% from 3 before his concussion. 

Good stat summary:

Geez I hope not.  ;)

Plus RP was hurt with a sever Concussion for almost 2 months of the season. I truly believe had not RP been injured, his numbers would have been better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Me So Hornsby said:

1. Overall 27-8 (15-5 B1G reg season, 1-1 B1GT, 4 NCAA wins

2. Phinisee, Green, Smith, TJD, Davis

3. Hunter-13.7ppg
Phinisee-11.6ppg
TJD-10.8ppg
Al-10.1ppg
Smith-9.8ppg

4. Hunter is 2nd team all B1G

5. Defense meshes and we make a deep tourney run with hunter and phinisee leading the way

And yes the kool aid tastes great

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A Final Four run!? Well that escalated quickly, You think Green starts, but won't be among the top 5 scorers?

Screw it, I like your enthusiasm, so if you are right I'm buying you a steak dinner (you do have a Golden Corral nearby, right?)

Here’s the thing I was slightly inebriated so I forgot to put green in that scoring list lol. Still hold pat on everything else and I’ll take that Golden Corral steak dinner, I’ll eat until I hate myself

Nobody goes to Golden Corral, you just end up there

Outsiders perspective, Draft Kings set over/unders for college bball, they have IU at 17.5 wins.

https://www.nj.com/betting/college-basketball/college-basketball-odds-team-win-totals.html

Vegas and the media love our chances (sarcasm) Seems like an easy bet to take the over but man........ iubb.

Outsiders perspective, Draft Kings set over/unders for college bball, they have IU at 17.5 wins.

https://www.nj.com/betting/college-basketball/college-basketball-odds-team-win-totals.html

I would definitely go with the over. I have us at 19, but that seems to be the lowest we have seen. Well they are looking for action. Everyone is low.

Before I say what I’m getting ready to say, I hope like hell I’m wrong. That being said, Teams will pack the lane against us this season and we will have to rely too much on our defense to win games. I just do not see anyway that we finish better than 9th-10th in the league.

I really hate that I spent $10 for that mess, to watch the Gannon game. Yes I’m well aware that we did not have Al and Green and RP hasn’t practiced in a month. But, I had to turn it off with 3 minutes to go in the first half. Too brutal for me to watch. As bad as I hate to say it but I’m not pumped about the season, at all.

1 minute ago, yogisballin said:

Before I say what I’m getting ready to say, I hope like hell I’m wrong. That being said, Teams will pack the lane against us this season and we will have to rely too much on our defense to win games. I just do not see anyway that we finish better than 9th-10th in the league.

I really hate that I spent $10 for that mess, to watch the Gannon game. Yes I’m well aware that we did not have Al and Green and RP hasn’t practiced in a month. But, I had to turn it off with 3 minutes to go in the first half. Too brutal for me to watch. As bad as I hate to say it but I’m not pumped about the season, at all.

You didn’t watch the second half?