Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

Season Predictions 2019-2020

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The more I think about this season... the more I think about 2013-2014... definitely a few similarities.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not that you won't be right (which I hope you aren't) but I felt like last season was very similar to 13-14. A young, talented team that couldn't shoot. 

both had the same exact records after the big ten tournament. 17-15. Guess we will see though. 

Not that you won't be right (which I hope you aren't) but I felt like last season was very similar to 13-14. A young, talented team that couldn't shoot. 
both had the same exact records after the big ten tournament. 17-15. Guess we will see though. 

Kinda the same this year. Freshman big man in TJD instead of Vonleh. Some vets like Davis, Brunk, Al and Green. Green is expected to be the #1 guy kinda like Sheehey was. A sophomore PG in Rob that we can only hope makes even half the jump Yogi did his Sophomore season. A talented wing that’s super athletic yet we still are waiting for it to come together(Troy was a freshman though). Only bad thing is that team was terrible on offense with an offensive coach. This team is a mystery with a coach that isn’t good offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Kinda the same this year. Freshman big man in TJD instead of Vonleh. Some vets like Davis, Brunk, Al and Green. Green is expected to be the #1 guy kinda like Sheehey was. A sophomore PG in Rob that we can only hope makes even half the jump Yogi did his Sophomore season. A talented wing that’s super athletic yet we still are waiting for it to come together(Troy was a freshman though). Only bad thing is that team was terrible on offense with an offensive coach. This team is a mystery with a coach that isn’t good offensively.

The difference is Yogi was the #1. He was expected to do everything offensively. I don’t think you put the ball in Green’s hands and say score. Sheehey was a bench player that just was never a starter. He couldn’t really shoot from outside. Green is very different. This feels more like the year after than 2013-14. Plus having depth inside. I think the only thing similar is having 1 pg.

What in God's name is the media's fascination with Penn St and the Illini?!?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah I don’t think Penn St makes it. At best Illinois is a bubble team to me. They haven’t been good at all and are still young. They aren’t exactly lining up elite players either so I have no clue.

6 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

What in God's name is the media's fascination with Penn St and the Illini?!?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You know its funny. The media's sole reason for predicting Purdue to finish top 4 in the BIG and make the tournament is because of Matt Painter's track record despite the fact that they lost their two best players.

But in the same breath they continue to predict Penn State (who has never made the tournament under chambers) and Illinois to make the tournament and finish high in the big ten when neither team has any track record of success in the last decade. Heck, neither team finished above .500 last year. 

Guess we will see. 

Yeah I don’t think Penn St makes it. At best Illinois is a bubble team to me. They haven’t been good at all and are still young. They aren’t exactly lining up elite players either so I have no clue.

Illinois has a top ten Big Ten player. That’s basically what they see. And probably thinking that Underwood can recreate the offense he had a Oklahoma State that averaged almost 86 points a game which was a team lead by Jawun Evans who was a very talented guard. The problem is the pieces actually falling together and those players making good decisions. They’ve been pretty scrappy under Underwood so maybe they are thinking this is the year for them with the talent they have.

Illinois has a top ten Big Ten player. That’s basically what they see. And probably thinking that Underwood can recreate the offense he had a Oklahoma State that averaged almost 86 points a game which was a team lead by Jawun Evans who was a very talented guard. The problem is the pieces actually falling together and those players making good decisions. They’ve been pretty scrappy under Underwood so maybe they are thinking this is the year for them with the talent they have.

They won 12 games last year with the same player on their squad. They have went 11-27 in conference under Underwood. There is no rational whatsoever to put them there. They gained 1 hovering top 50 ranked player. The rest are not ranked. How do you go from a 12 win team to a lock without adding much of anything?

They won 12 games last year with the same player on their squad. They have went 11-27 in conference under Underwood. There is no rational whatsoever to put them there. They gained 1 hovering top 50 ranked player. The rest are not ranked. How do you go from a 12 win team to a lock without adding much of anything?

How do you expect Indiana to go from what they were last year, losing its two best players and yet being better like so many want to claim here? It’s just a prediction. And one that on paper, makes sense because they have 3 of the best players in the Big Ten.

How do you expect Indiana to go from what they were last year, losing its two best players and yet being better like so many want to claim here? It’s just a prediction. And one that on paper, makes sense because they have 3 of the best players in the Big Ten.

Illinois has 3 of the best players in the Big Ten? Are you serious? As for Indiana I don’t expect them much better. But going from 17 to 18 or 19 which is what I predict isn’t exactly crazy versus 12 to 20 plus. If you can’t see that I have no clue what to tell you.

Illinois has 3 of the best players in the Big Ten? Are you serious? As for Indiana I don’t expect them much better. But going from 17 to 18 or 19 which is what I predict isn’t exactly crazy versus 12 to 20 plus. If you can’t see that I have no clue what to tell you.  

Ayo Dosunmu is arguably a Top 5 player in the B1G, Trent Frazier and Giorgi are both Top 20-25 players in the B1G.

Ayo Dosunmu is arguably a Top 5 player in the B1G, Trent Frazier and Giorgi are both Top 20-25 players in the B1G.

They might all be top 20-25 players in the B1G. but like you said about IU’s team no one has a clue how they are going to be. Surely a player that was unranked coming out of high school last year as a freshman can’t be a top player in the league his sophomore year (sarcasm). I personally feel that Illinois will be better but that’s not a high bar to pass from last year. Every year teams overachieve and teams underachieve. It will be no different next year I predict there will be teams picked in the top half to finish in the bottom half and I predict some teams picked in the bottom half will finish in the top half. TBD on where IU and the rest of the B1G will fall in line. 4 weeks until that journey starts and the beginning of the best sport on the planet(my opinion). Countdown has begun

They might all be top 20-25 players in the B1G. but like you said about IU’s team no one has a clue how they are going to be. Surely a player that was unranked coming out of high school last year as a freshman can’t be a top player in the league his sophomore year (sarcasm). I personally feel that Illinois will be better but that’s not a high bar to pass from last year. Every year teams overachieve and teams underachieve. It will be no different next year I predict there will be teams picked in the top half to finish in the bottom half and I predict some teams picked in the bottom half will finish in the top half. TBD on where IU and the rest of the B1G will fall in line. 4 weeks until that journey starts and the beginning of the best sport on the planet(my opinion). Countdown has begun

Agreed. I don’t think Giorgi is one of the 25 best players in the league, but I also didn’t think when he said Illinois has 3 of the best players in the league that’s where the bar went either. I see Giorgi splitting time with Mr. Cockburn so he won’t get the numbers he got last year. To me they didn’t really improve their roster. Pretty hard to jump from 12 wins to lock in tournament with no noticeable upgrades. I am also not exactly sold on Michigan being in the position most assume. They lost a lot and nobody knows what to expect from Howard. I will also be curious of how well Purdue does. Taking my fan goggles off, losing a national player of the year type hurts bad for anyone. Especially a team that doesn’t turnover those type of players regularly. I think Iowa is a really intriguing team in the B1G. If they can avoid the back half B1G schedule implosion I think can be really decent.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Those are guys Illinois featured when they won 12 out of 33 games. 

They added a top 50 big; we added a top 30 big.

You’re entitled to your opinion about Illinois; you’re not the only one to share it, but I am not impressed.

Those are guys Illinois featured when they won 12 out of 33 games. 
They added a top 50 big; we added a top 30 big.
You’re entitled to your opinion about Illinois; you’re not the only one to share it, but I am not impressed.

I never said they were a lock. Katz did. I’m saying that’s probably his reasoning. Because they do have some talent. We lost a lot more than they did and really only added the one guy. Where as they brought back their 3 best and brought in a good freshman.

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I never said they were a lock. Katz did. I’m saying that’s probably his reasoning. Because they do have some talent. We lost a lot more than they did and 'eally only added the one guy. Where as they brought back their 3 best and brought in a good freshman.

So you're saying their not a lock to make the tourney.You're not really going out on a limb with that.

I'm going a little farther out on a limb; I'm saying that

• Illinois' 12-21 team from last year does not have three of the top 25 returning players in the conference.
  • Ain't no way in the world that Trent Frazier is a top 25 player in the conference; if you'd rather have him on a roster than Phinisee you're crazy. Frazier is an undersized two guard who does not defend much. He is not an efficient offensive player either.
  • Illinois has a nice enough trio of guards; Ayo is a big talent. But their front line, save for Georghi B and a 50-ish ranked raw freshman, is utter crap. As in, Kipper Nichols and a 300+ ranked freshman are their backups at the 4 and 5 spot.
  • If Illinois gets to .500 overall that's a major improvement for them; that's about where I would expect them to end up.