Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

Season Predictions 2019-2020

If we can't win these games it is not likely we will win comparable games during the conference schedule. There is a lot of complaining within the IU fan base about prognosticators predicting IU missing the NCAA tournament again and finishing near the bottom of the conference. To make the tournament, IU has to win games against teams like Florida State, Notre Dame, and Connecticut--not to mention comparable conference teams. It's really that simple.

Using single games to determine season success is a recipe for failure. Obviously, we could lose all those games mentioned and still have a great season.

I’m eager to see our lineups and how this team fits Archie’s system, but fully expect some early loses and mistakes. Non-con is the time to learn and tighten up the ship so we can ensure we come out at least a few games above .500 in conference, which should usually land us in the tournament given the B1G schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No one "expects" IU to be undefeated. But our non-conference schedule is quite easy compared to last year when we won games against the likes of Louisville, Butler, and Marquette. It is the conference schedule this year that is the tougher of the two. And if IU can't do well in the non-conference schedule, the likelihood that we will suddenly make it up during conference play is not great. Losses against non-conference teams will be an indicator of what kind of year we will have.

59 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You think that a team that is projected to finish 8th-11th in their conference will be favored in a quasi-road game against UConn? 

11-2 would be unequivocally excellent.

Yeah, cause that’s where UConn would be picked to finish in the BIG as well 

But I could see the game being basically a pick em 

No one "expects" IU to be undefeated. But our non-conference schedule is quite easy compared to last year when we won games against the likes of Louisville, Butler, and Marquette. It is the conference schedule this year that is the tougher of the two. And if IU can't do well in the non-conference schedule, the likelihood that we will suddenly make it up during conference play is not great. Losses against non-conference teams will be an indicator of what kind of year we will have.

Actually if you use Torvik last year we had a predicted non con SOS of 164. This year we have 153. Not much difference at all. This year is actually tougher due to it being deeper. When we played the teams last year the teams you spoke of only Marquette was ranked. Coming in at 24 which Notre Dame will be slightly higher. The only thing really missing this year is a Duke pummeling us by 100 from our schedule. The other high end non con are actually comparable if not better and the lower games are better this year.

My initial comment was we should know soon enough whether this team will improve over last year's disappointing season by our performance during non-conference games. Suffice it to say the non-conference schedule is easier than the conference schedule irrespective of whether the non-conference schedule is slightly more difficult than last year. If IU struggles during the non-conference schedule, we are not likely to do well in the conference schedule. My point is simply that underachieving against non-conference competition will likely be followed by a mediocre conference record. Hopefully, that will not be the case.

My initial comment was we should know soon enough whether this team will improve over last year's disappointing season by our performance during non-conference games. Suffice it to say the non-conference schedule is easier than the conference schedule irrespective of whether the non-conference schedule is slightly more difficult than last year. If IU struggles during the non-conference schedule, we are not likely to do well in the conference schedule. My point is simply that underachieving against non-conference competition will likely be followed by a mediocre conference record. Hopefully, that will not be the case.

But that completely ignores improvements made as the season progresses

Ditto. 9 wins non con. 9 wins in conference. 1 BTT win is where it ends for me. No tournament wins.

Fair. If it goes that way I’m admittedly going to lose my patience. We were given promises of competing for B1G championships and national championships. Our recruiting efforts are cool and interesting but on a national scale they aren’t entirely impressive. It may be exactly what we need. I hope it is.

If not, when do we expect things to actually change? Serious question.

Indiana should be a preseason top 25 team every season and finish at or near top 25 every season. That’s my expectations.

Fair. If it goes that way I’m admittedly going to lose my patience. We were given promises of competing for B1G championships and national championships. Our recruiting efforts are cool and interesting but on a national scale they aren’t entirely impressive. It may be exactly what we need. I hope it is.

If not, when do we expect things to actually change? Serious question.

Indiana should be a preseason top 25 team every season and finish at or near top 25 every season. That’s my expectations.

It’s a good question and I don’t know. I think we make the tournament with no wins so I should have worded that better. I think we come in the 8-10 range. To me that’s improvement but I can understand that frustration for sure if it ended that way.

Well..

This topic can be, and has been, debated ad nauseam. In today’s college game there are two ways to success. The ,not so cheap, and easy way or “in it for the long haul” method. I don’t believe Archie has been given the go ahead for the former so hopefully he can succeed at the latter. I believe that’s why we’re seeing him go after the players he’s going after. I see him really trying to keep players for as long as possible.

As for a date to when things will change? I’m guessing we struggle a bit this season and the natives get extremely restless. He’ll, the pitchforks might even come out in full force. We’ll be on the bubble and many will find enough reason to give up. However, I see next season as the season things “click” with an experienced team and we make noise. We’ll be in the top 25 most of the season with an older team that’ll return a ton of talent. From there, I think we’ll be old and talented for quite some time and people will be happy we stuck with Archie.

Just my 2 cents though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
Good post. But I do feel if the injury bug stays away, especially with RP,we won't be a bubble team. Lose 2 at the most in non conference and no more than 8 in Conference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On 7/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, Stromboli said:

1.  Overall record, B1G record, post-season results, if any (Edit: I went with 30 total games just based on what has been announced, Stuhoo points out we had 35 last year.  Do what your heart says is right)

2.  Starting 5 for first game of BigTen season

3.  Average PPG for top 5 scorers

4.  A hot take

5.  Another hot take

1.  We finish two games over .500 overall.  NIT team.

2.  Green, Phinisee, TJD, Smith, Durham

3. Green 14, Phinisee 12, TJD 10, Smith 10, Durham 10

4. Archie's seat becomes brutally hot early in the season after a couple bad losses.

5. Archie lasts one season past this one.

1.  Overall record, B1G record, post-season results, if any (Edit: I went with 30 total games just based on what has been announced, Stuhoo points out we had 35 last year.  Do what your heart says is right)

I'm assuming Hunter gives us something.  22-13   12-8    NCAA Round of 32

2.  Starting 5 for first game of BigTen season

Phinisee, Green, Brunk, Smith, Hunter

3.  Average PPG for top 5 scorers

Green  14.2   Phinisee  12.6    Jackson-Davis  11.7   Durham  10.1   Hunter   8.2

4.  A hot take    Archie Miller will earn the respect of those who doubt him now.

5.  Another hot take   The surprise of the season will be Armaan Franklin.  

1. 19-12. 1-1 in big. 20-13. Then either 2 or 3 wins and a loss in NIT.
2. Phinisee, Green, Smith, TJD, Brunk. Durham 6th man.
3. Green 15, Phin 11, TJD 10, Durham 10, Smith 10.
4. I’m afraidJerome Hunter doesn’t contribute this year. No info, just my feeling.
5. We have 2 injuries and have to play a walk on minutes in the rotation.
6. Justin Smith? Does he become the player he thinks he is? I pray he does.
7. Our offense is stagnant again. Win games in B1G in 60’s. Have some 50 point games again.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Picked up my copy of the Athlon Sports preview today. Since I live in Illinois, the cover is usually an Illini and/or NW player. So glad to see an IU player on the cover, even with a Purdue player with him.fd4d0318c47780f6ab3d8499fd71e4b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1. IU goes 20-16(9-11). Win 1 game in the B1G tourney and 2 games in the NIT(which I included in the record. 17-14 beforehand).

2. I would like to see a starting 5 of Phinisee, Franklin, Smith, TJD, Brunk.

3. TJD averages 14.0 ppg. Green 13 ppg. Phinisee 10 ppg. Durham and Smith 7 ppg.

4. Franklin starts half the season and plays about 18 minutes a game as a spot up shooter and spacer and ends up being the hustle guy this team needs.

5. Team struggles again offensively as Archie continues to run an offense based on lazy pick and rolls rather than ball and player movement. Defense gets better but can’t overcome the offenses let downs. Archie’s seat gets hotter than this take will be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners