Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

Season Predictions 2019-2020

My biggest problem was not only losing 12 of 13, but also coming out unprepared every game.  That's very problematic to me.  If we can avoid that this season I'll be encouraged.  If it continues, I'll be irate.

How do you define if we are prepared from South Florida? Let alone every game. We looked prepared against MSU? We looked prepared in a lot of games to me. How I define prepared is different than what you do so I would like to know how we were unprepared in every game? It should be easy for me to pick a random game and see what you were seeing then. If you weren’t irate last season I would hate to see that and at least prepare for that this season on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, Josh said:

That's not where I am.  I saw the improvement I guess, but going from an F- to a D+ isn't improvement enough for me to think we're headed somewhere exciting.  

Essentially your expectations were that we go from an F (Crean's final year) to an A almost immediately.

Doesn't work that way. First year was another F. Last year was a D+/C-.

This year, C/C+ has us making the tournament. B is that we at least play a few games. A is getting us into the Elite Eight and beyond.

A lot of the improvement this program needed was on the recruiting trail. There's real strong progress there - probably even A level work already. That will ultimately be a key driver of progress on the court. 

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

How do you define if we are prepared from South Florida? Let alone every game. We looked prepared against MSU? We looked prepared in a lot of games to me. How I define prepared is different than what you do so I would like to know how we were unprepared in every game? It should be easy for me to pick a random game and see what you were seeing then. If you weren’t irate last season I would hate to see that and at least prepare for that this season on the board.

When we fall behind by 10 points to start most every game....I call that unprepared. 

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Essentially your expectations were that we go from an F (Crean's final year) to an A almost immediately.

That's not at all what I said

7 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Doesn't work that way. First year was another F. Last year was a D+/C-.

This year, C/C+ has us making the tournament. B is that we at least play a few games. A is getting us into the Elite Eight and beyond.

A lot of the improvement this program needed was on the recruiting trail. There's real strong progress there - probably even A level work already. That will ultimately be a key driver of progress on the court. 

Yep.  The past two seasons have been disappointing, regardless of whatever our expectations were.  While it is not unheard of for a new coach to come in and have immediate success, it's not the norm.  I remember after CAM's first season saying that the only thing we know is that he can't produce miracles.

I'm to the point where I don't even think about trying to predict the upcoming season.  There are too many factors you just can't foresee.  The only way to be able to have any confidence about an upcoming season is when you have enough known quantities returning - that rules out freshmen, players returning from injury, and expected improvement from returning players.  And that's only if you avoid injuries.

Personally, I saw definite improvement from the beginning of the first year to the end of that season.  Last season, we were statistically better, had better results in our record, and definitely improved over the previous season.  We really fell apart in the middle of the season and began playing much better toward the end but were still inconsistent.

Barring injuries, we need to see continued improvement in the offense and overall much, much better consistency both individually and as a team.

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

We fell behind to start most every game.  You don't remember that?

Without someone actually looking at the data to see how frequently we fell behind by X number of points in the first Y minutes, this argument is pointless.

I remember frequent frustration that'd we'd fall behind quickly, but human memory is severely impacted by many factors. I am very curious how frequently we fell behind early by a significant margin...

We fell behind to start most every game.  You don't remember that?

I remember falling behind a bunch during our losing streak but most like any game any other year. It was more noticeable cause we were losing. Like the Maryland game. We came out hot as could be. We laid an egg right before and after halftime. MSU we didn’t fall behind by 10. Being unprepared to me and falling behind by almost 10 every game to start means something different to me than you. That’s fine. Being unprepared means you get smacked around and are truly losing huge and never get in the game. You don’t all of the sudden become prepared when you are down 10. When you said we were down by 10 almost every game to start, I just don’t agree with that. It’s fine, I just wanted to know where you were coming from.

8 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

We fell behind early a lot. As an example this is an early January article from the IDS.

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2019/01/iu-mens-basketball-continues-string-of-slow-starts-in-loss-to-michigan

Thank you.  Perhaps some of us blocked all of the poor starts out?  It happened all the dang time.  The only excuse I can come up with was that we were unprepared. 

We fell behind early a lot. As an example this is an early January article from the IDS.

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2019/01/iu-mens-basketball-continues-string-of-slow-starts-in-loss-to-michigan

Yes that is during the losing streak I said we fell behind a bunch. Plus that article was right after rock bottom on national television. That was our worst effort imo. One of two games I was at where I left early.

Thank you.  Perhaps some of us blocked all of the poor starts out?  It happened all the dang time.  The only excuse I can come up with was that we were unprepared. 

So we were down 10 almost every game huh? That article cited 4 of 5 games being down early (not 10!!!) in the middle of the losing streak which I said! Some of us just block things out to fit narrative huh?

And then we ended the season scoring 3 points in the first five minutes of the OSU BTT game, A game widely thought to be a NCAA tourney play-in game but we came out slow and Romeo, in his post game interview, stated they just did not come out with energy......in a game to get into the tourney !?!?!?!?!?

And then we ended the season scoring 3 points in the first five minutes of the OSU BTT game, A game widely thought to be a NCAA tourney game but we came out slow and Romeo, in his post game interview, stated they just did not come out with energy......in a game to get into the tourney !?!?!?!?!?

Ok?

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

And some may be only remembering the bad starts. 

Like I said, human memory is garbage. Someone would need to go actually look at the data. The article shared was about one game and included only a subjective comment on poor starts.

And some may be only remembering the bad starts. 
Like I said, human memory is garbage. Someone would need to go actually look at the data. The article shared was about one game and included only a subjective comment on poor starts.

It discussed 4 of their 5 starts and the one being Maryland in the middle of the losing streak. Which is exactly what my post said. Not sure why they are acting like they had an aha moment on me. “We fell behind early a bunch during our losing streak.”

15 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It discussed 4 of their 5 starts and the one being Maryland in the middle of the losing streak. Which is exactly what my post said. Not sure why they are acting like they had an aha moment on me. “We fell behind early a bunch during our losing streak.”

I wasn’t even responding to you ??