Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

Season Predictions 2019-2020

In my opinion this upcoming season will be a step in the right direction for the program. I think they will continue to build and improve on the previous 2 seasons.

In season 1 of the Archie era Indiana fans spent 0 days with any hope that IU would make the tournament. Their first game was a loss to Indiana St and after that they didn’t even sniff the tournament or NIT for the matter.

IU went 0-10 in Quad 1 games
Lost 3 Quad 4 games and 1 Quad 3 games
Didn’t beat a top 5 B1G team
Didn’t beat an ncaa tournament team
Best win Rpi wise was Maryland (66) at home.
IU finished with an Rpi of 107- note Rpi was metic used by committee that year.

Year 2 of the Archie era started out promising but a historic losing streak ended up derailing a season. However there was dramatic improvement from year 1 to year 2

IU fans spent the whole year with their team in the Ncaa tournament discussion. It took a losing streak 12 of 13 to derail a ncaa tournament birth. However even with a 12 out of 13 game losing streak IU was 72nd in a 68 team field and almost sneaked in. In all my years of doing bracketology I never have seen as resume like IU’s before. They had all the quality wins needed but just not the quantity. Inability to win against the middle of the B1G at home was a big factor.
IU went 6-9 in Quad 1 games
0 losses to anyone in the Quad 3 or 4 games before the tournament selection
3 wins against B1G top 5 teams
5 wins against ncaa tournament teams
Best win was @michigan st (net 8)
IU finished (net-54) note NET was metric used by committee.

In year 3 I expect continued improvement from year 2

Players are a year older and many upper class men have B1G game experience which in the B1G league is a big deal in my opinion. IU could of made they tourney last year and basically was a tourney team but I feel they will make they tourney this year.

People on here look at IU and have different expectations and views on the program. When Archie took over IU he took over a program that was 4th in overall wins in the last 25 years in its own state and around 45 compared to the rest of college basketball. Middle of the B1G in wins.
I looked at the state of the program at that time and envisioned a little longer time in building a program that looks like a contender. That was just my opinion but I could can understand if others have a different view on a timeline
Regardless of how year 3 turns out I can’t wait to watch the season unfold

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That was a great summary of things. The improvement was real and as terrible as the losing streak was it was a good reminder that we did not really have the bad losses we had in year 1.

I suspect we will have a less impressive record against top 20 teams but hopefully much better results against the middle and bottoms of the BT.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

In my opinion this upcoming season will be a step in the right direction for the program. I think they will continue to build and improve on the previous 2 seasons.

In season 1 of the Archie era Indiana fans spent 0 days with any hope that IU would make the tournament. Their first game was a loss to Indiana St and after that they didn’t even sniff the tournament or NIT for the matter.

Year 2 of the Archie era started out promising but a historic losing streak ended up derailing a season. However there was dramatic improvement from year 1 to year 2

IU fans spent the whole year with their team in the Ncaa tournament discussion. It took a losing streak 12 of 13 to derail a ncaa tournament birth. However even with a 12 out of 13 game losing streak IU was 72nd in a 68 team field and almost sneaked in. In all my years of doing bracketology I never have seen as resume like IU’s before. They had all the quality wins needed but just not the quantity. Inability to win against the middle of the B1G at home was a big factor.

Players are a year older and many upper class men have B1G game experience which in the B1G league is a big deal in my opinion. IU could of made they tourney last year and basically was a tourney team but I feel they will make they tourney this year.

People on here look at IU and have different expectations and views on the program. When Archie took over IU he took over a program that was 4th in overall wins in the last 25 years in its own state and around 45 compared to the rest of college basketball. Middle of the B1G in wins.
I looked at the state of the program at that time and envisioned a little longer time in building a program that looks like a contender. That was just my opinion but I can understand if others have a different view on a timeline

I will always believe the injuries was a large reason for that streak with RP's being the biggest reason. With the he way he was playing before his concussion, I believe he could have been in the discussion for FOY in the B1G.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Won’t predict our record just yet until the full schedule is released, but I do think we will get into the tournament.

As for starters, I think we will start the season:

Davis
TJD
Smith
Green
Rob

End the season:

Rob
Green
Hunter
TJD
Davis

I could also see Coach swapping TJD for Al, will be hard to keep Al out of that lineup, and he will push Green and others to take their spot. Idk, it’s tough because I’m a big Al fan, just does everything well.

Our biggest question marks will be Smith and Hunter. If Smith gains confidence, shooting stroke, and a consistent motor, he is a sure fire All-Big 10 caliber player. Just needs to get it in between his ears he can be a dominant player when he wants to. If Hunter is healthy, I see him being brought along slowly, and then potentially taking a starter spot later in the season.

Love that we have a bench where there isn’t much of a drop off at all the spots (except probably Rob’s).

Won’t predict our record just yet until the full schedule is released, but I do think we will get into the tournament.

As for starters, I think we will start the season:

Davis
TJD
Smith
Green
Rob

End the season:

Rob
Green
Hunter
TJD
Davis

I could also see Coach swapping TJD for Al, will be hard to keep Al out of that lineup, and he will push Green and others to take their spot. Idk, it’s tough because I’m a big Al fan, just does everything well.

Our biggest question marks will be Smith and Hunter. If Smith gains confidence, shooting stroke, and a consistent motor, he is a sure fire All-Big 10 caliber player. Just needs to get it in between his ears he can be a dominant player when he wants to. If Hunter is healthy, I see him being brought along slowly, and then potentially taking a starter spot later in the season.

Love that we have a bench where there isn’t much of a drop off at all the spots (except probably Rob’s).

Is it possible to see Green as a 6th man?! Al starting at the 2 would give us more length while Green could see the flow of the game. He could sub for either Phin or Al too. It’ll be interesting to see how the rotation plays out.

21 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

In season 1 of the Archie era Indiana fans spent 0 days with any hope that IU would make the tournament. Their first game was a loss to Indiana St and after that they didn’t even sniff the tournament or NIT for that matter.

Year 2 of the Archie era started out promising but a historic losing streak ended up derailing the season. However there was dramatic improvement from year 1 to year 2

Players are a year older and many upper class men have B1G game experience which in the B1G league is a big deal in my opinion. IU could of made the tourney last year and basically was a tourney team. I feel like  they will make they tourney this year.

People on here look at IU and have different expectations and views on the program. When Archie took over IU he took over a program that was 4th in overall wins in the last 25 years in its own state and around 45th compared to the rest of college basketball.   Middle of the B1G in wins over that same period 

I looked at the state of the program at that time and envisioned a little longer time in building a program that looks like a contender. That was just my opinion but I can understand if others have a different view on a timeline

I mean...Archie's first year was so monumentally terrible that missing the tournament his next year was still improvement.  That doesn't leave me with optimism, but I'm glad it does for some.  

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I mean...Archie's first year was so monumentally terrible that missing the tournament his next year was still improvement.  That doesn't leave me with optimism, but I'm glad it does for some.  

Something that get's overlooked (ignored?) about his first season is how equally bad the previous season was, and then lost three of the best players on that squad (Blackmon, Bryant, and OG) to the NBA.  IMO, you can't say Miller's first team underachieved - that group was destined to struggle.

5 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Something that get's overlooked (ignored?) about his first season is how equally bad the previous season was, and then lost three of the best players on that squad (Blackmon, Bryant, and OG) to the NBA.  IMO, you can't say Miller's first team underachieved - that group was destined to struggle.

We got destroyed on our own court by Fort Wayne and Indiana State (among others).  That isn't underachieving?

6 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Yeah but had they avoided the straight up embarrassing losses they would have made the NIT. 

As glad as you are that some have optimism, I’m just as sad that some want to ignore improvement. Despite how bad IU did in its first year they still improved in the second year. I absolutely hate that for the majority of fans college basketball basically is a 4 week season in March. Most don’t care if a team improves during a season or regresses during a season as long as they make the tourney everything is fine. Even if they made the tournament they would of still be been the same flawed team they were missing the tournament.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

As glad as you are that some have optimism, I’m just as sad that some want to ignore improvement. Despite how bad IU did in its first year they still improved in the second year. I absolutely hate that for the majority of fans college basketball basically is a 4 week season in March. Most don’t care if a team improves during a season or regresses during a season as long as they make the tourney everything is fine. Even if they made the tournament they would of still be been the same flawed team they were missing the tournament.

That's not where I am.  I saw the improvement I guess, but going from an F- to a D+ isn't improvement enough for me to think we're headed somewhere exciting.  

I honestly have been wracking my brain for a legit prediction and there’s just too many unknowns for me. 
I will say that if Phinisee misses and considerable length of time we miss the tourney. 

This is where I am. I do love the mentality of the players we are picking up. But most this year and next won’t be immediate impact 20 mpg players on a top team. We will have to rely on development. The team I watched last year at HH was far different than the one on the court without Hunter. I have to wait til then to have any idea what I am looking at. I do think we see improvements. I really liked how Green played down the stretch. I think Phinisee makes a good freshman to sophomore jump. TBD

That's not where I am.  I saw the improvement I guess, but going from an F- to a D+ isn't improvement enough for me to think we're headed somewhere exciting.  

Maybe not but beating a final 4 team twice (once in their building) late in the season might let some people get excited. I can see losing 12 or 13 might not thing they are heading somewhere exciting

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maybe not but beating a final 4 team twice (once in their building) late in the season might let some people get excited. I can see losing 12 or 13 might not thing they are heading somewhere exciting

My biggest problem was not only losing 12 of 13, but also coming out unprepared every game.  That's very problematic to me.  If we can avoid that this season I'll be encouraged.  If it continues, I'll be irate.