Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SF Jordan Geronimo to Maryland

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I guess players on our roster that shoot 30% from 2 and 8% from 3 and can’t play defense are untouchable from criticism but players that hit the portal is open season 

I don’t really see anyone assuming CJ Gunn will even start next year, and that aside, CJ played 150 minutes total last year. Jordan has played almost 1000 minutes across three years at IU and is 25 months older than CJ. So…yes, seems reasonable to be more optimistic about the younger player than the one who is basically still the same player he was when he stepped on campus.

16 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Good landing for him. 

As of now it looks like he’d be their primary backup in the frontcourt. I’m a little surprised he didn’t end up somewhere with a more obvious starting spot open. Good luck to him.

2 hours ago, Ryno6284 said:

I think a lot on here expected JG to have a VO kind of transformation, but he isn't a basketball player, he is just athletic.

People say this.  The cool thing is, we will get to find out.  I  could argue we would have done just as well with him getting Race’s minutes.  People have ripped Geronimo but he had some really promising minutes 2 seasons ago.   

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

People say this.  The cool thing is, we will get to find out.  I  could argue we would have done just as well with him getting Race’s minutes.  People have ripped Geronimo but he had some really promising minutes 2 seasons ago.   

My thing is we needed him to be a 3 and he wasn’t great at the 3. And woody doesn’t want an undersized 4 and I don’t blame him.  Best for all parties. 

5 hours ago, lillurk said:

As of now it looks like he’d be their primary backup in the frontcourt. I’m a little surprised he didn’t end up somewhere with a more obvious starting spot open. Good luck to him.

Yeah but we just don’t know what MD’s staff’s plan is or what is really driving him right now. It’s a team that can be good. He’ll have a chance to show and grow.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This. And some very strong games in conference when Race was out. But that’s beating the dead horse.  I’ll wish him well but like everyone else not when it’s against IU

5 hours ago, lillurk said:

I don’t really see anyone assuming CJ Gunn will even start next year, and that aside, CJ played 150 minutes total last year. Jordan has played almost 1000 minutes across three years at IU and is 25 months older than CJ. So…yes, seems reasonable to be more optimistic about the younger player than the one who is basically still the same player he was when he stepped on campus.

Optimism is great but ignoring realities and stats is silly and some aren’t open to that. 

in a world where everyone is essentially on a 1 year contract, JG > CJG

there is no reason to groom 4 year projects anymore, it’s all a what can you do to help the team now mode and JG is and was more impactful than CJG and it wasn’t close.

this was all in response to comments several posters made suggesting CJG was going to be an impact player next year, you added the part about starting. Maybe he will be an impact player but there is no basis for said statements other than blind optimism and hope.

Optimism is great but ignoring realities and stats is silly and some aren’t open to that. 
in a world where everyone is essentially on a 1 year contract, JG > CJG
there is no reason to groom 4 year projects anymore, it’s all a what can you do to help the team now mode and JG is and was more impactful than CJG and it wasn’t close.
this was all in response to comments several posters made suggesting CJG was going to be an impact player next year, you added the part about starting. Maybe he will be an impact player but there is no basis for said statements other than blind optimism and hope.

Sure, there are some posters who may be too optimistic. But there is no reason to think Gunn, Banks, and the Freshmen won't improve at all and be decent in their positions as role players. The options aren't just impact players or won't help at all. It will more than likely be somewhere in between.
Having said that, their being overly optimistic is no different than some one who is overly negative when we lose out on someone either in recruiting or the portal, and suddenly we're going to be terrible like many said when Ledlum and Knecht chose Tennessee. Since then, I'd argue better players have entered the portal and a handful of high 4stars and 5 star HS seniors have reopened their recruiting.
It's not all roses or doom until the roster is set, and we see what happens on the court. The rest all noise and not worth getting rattled about either side of the fate of next year's team.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Sure, there are some posters who may be too optimistic. But there is no reason to think Gunn, Banks, and the Freshmen won't improve at all and be decent in their positions as role players. The options aren't just impact players or won't help at all. It will more than likely be somewhere in between.
Having said that, their being overly optimistic is no different than some one who is overly negative when we lose out on someone either in recruiting or the portal, and suddenly we're going to be terrible like many said when Ledlum and Knecht chose Tennessee. Since then, I'd argue better players have entered the portal and a handful of high 4stars and 5 star HS seniors have reopened their recruiting.
It's not all roses or doom until the roster is set, and we see what happens on the court. The rest all noise and not worth getting rattled about either side of the fate of next year's team.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Agree:)