Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SF Jordan Geronimo to Maryland

Really excited about this kid. Don't expect him to be an instant impact guy, but my hope is he becomes everything we thought Justin Smith would be. Seems to have a much higher ceiling offensively as he already has a smooth stroke and hits shots with consistency. 

Would be nice to have him and Jerome Hunter on the floor together, so  much versatility on the offensive end with loads of defensive potential. Add in a more athletic 5 than Joey and De'ron and you have the makings of  a solid packline defense. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Today's stats for Geronimo:  19 pts, 6 rbs, 4 stls

OF, in your opinion, how do Geronimo’s stats translate given that it sounds like he’s playing some pretty questionable competition? Is it at all the case that his stats are padded because nobody else on the court is taller than 6’0” type of thing?

11 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

OF, in your opinion, how do Geronimo’s stats translate given that it sounds like he’s playing some pretty questionable competition? Is it at all the case that his stats are padded because nobody else on the court is taller than 6’0” type of thing?

I don't know that I'm truly qualified to answer your question.  St. Paul's is much like Aminu Mohammed's school in that both are very small schools.  Historically, I think St. Paul's has been very mediocre but this year is a marked improvement  --  is it all Jordan Geronimo?  He's clearly the best player on the team.  He carries a #83 national ranking from Rivals and #91 from 247 so he's certainly not chopped liver.  I do think it's very safe to say that without Geronimo, St. Paul's would be very much mediocre this season.  

I guess to me his game against Brewster Academy which is a basketball factory school gives us an idea of his potential.  Final score was 111-54 but put it in perspective.  Brewster is the reigning 2019 national prep champion.  It’s roster includes Terrence Clarke, Matt Cross, Jamal Mashburn Jr., and 5 other kids who have made D1 commitments.  Against this team, Geronimo had 21 pts. including 3-3 on 3s; 8 reb; 2 blks; 2 assists.

This from the St. Paul's website after yesterday's win:  Today St. Paul’s School scored an exciting victory against Exeter Academy, last year’s NEPSAC Class A Champions.  This historic win was punctuated with stability under pressure, marking the first time Big Red boys basketball has defeated Exeter since the 1980’s! 

From their win earlier this week over Proctor:  "For the first time in the school’s history, St. Paul’s boys’ varsity basketball team won against a Class AA opponent."

From a win a week ago over Holderness:  ...first win over Holderness in more than 20 years.  

I missed a couple of minutes of today's game so my scorecard is even more unofficial than usual.  New Hampton defeated St. Paul's 71-63 and it was a tale of 2 halves for Geronimo.  New Hampton jumped out to a quick 10 point lead and definitely looked like the better team.  Geronimo picked up 2 fouls and went to the bench with 12 min. left in the first half.  [They play 16 min. halves with a 35 sec. shot clock].  Lead grew and he went back in 4 minutes later but played very tentatively on defense and forced shots on offense.  At the half St. Paul's trailed 39-24.  Geronimo 6 points on 2-9 FG; 0-4 on 3s; 2-2 FT; 2 reb; 3 asst.

Second half a completely different story and with 40 sec. left in the game, St. Paul's only trailed by 4.  In the second half, he scored 19 pts. on 8-9 FG; 3-4 on 3's.  One of his buckets was a coast-to-coast drive with a very athletic finish.  

So for the game, he finished with 25 pts. on 10-18 FG; 3-8 on 3s; 2-2 FT; 4 reb; 3 asst; 2 TO; 3 stls; 5 blks.  

This from a St. Paul's tweet:  Hard-fought loss to Class AAA leader New Hampton. 63-71. Proud that we never gave up.

Geronimo:  23pts (9-17 FG, 2-2 FT), 7rbs, 4stls, 4blks, 2asts

Timely article from TheDailyHoosier:  https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-checking-in-on-2020-signee-jordan-geronimo/

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Added TDH link

New England Reporting Report does a state-by-state ranking.  Geronimo #3 in New Hampshire behind Terrence Clarke and Matt Cross. 

"The biggest riser in the state is St. Paul's wing Jordan Geronimo, who made made a commitment to Indiana following a breakout summer. He's continued to take his game to new levels this winter as he adds polish to his unique combination of athleticism and budding skill."

Within the link below is another link to the individual rankings. 

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/in-the-news/new-hampshire-loaded-again-in-2020

A less than memorable game for Geronimo even though St. Paul's defeated Williston 69-59.  He picked up 2 early fouls and went to the bench with 7:30 left in the first half.  Came back in with 2:30 left and picked up his 3rd foul a minute later.  He started the 2nd half and picked up foul #4 (a cheap charging call) in the first 15 sec.  Sat out until 5:00 remained so all total he played less than 14 minutes.  I had him with 10 points on 3-8 FG; 1-4 on 3s; 3-6 on FTs; 4 reb; 1 asst; 2 stls; 1 blk.  All of his free throw attempts came in the last 70 sec. of the game and if Williston wasn't such a poor team his 3 misses could have been costly.  

Picking up early fouls is a bit of a trend I've noticed and most are a result of trying to be too aggressive in getting steals.  He also needs to stay focused.  He missed his first 2 3s and his head dropped and his shoulders sagged and that's something I've also noticed as I've watched more of his games.  

35 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A less than memorable game for Geronimo even though St. Paul's defeated Williston 69-59.  He picked up 2 early fouls and went to the bench with 7:30 left in the first half.  Came back in with 2:30 left and picked up his 3rd foul a minute later.  He started the 2nd half and picked up foul #4 (a cheap charging call) in the first 15 sec.  Sat out until 5:00 remained so all total he played less than 14 minutes.  I had him with 10 points on 3-8 FG; 1-4 on 3s; 3-6 on FTs; 4 reb; 1 asst; 2 stls; 1 blk.  All of his free throw attempts came in the last 70 sec. of the game and if Williston wasn't such a poor team his 3 misses could have been costly.  

Picking up early fouls is a bit of a trend I've noticed and most are a result of trying to be too aggressive in getting steals.  He also needs to stay focused.  He missed his first 2 3s and his head dropped and his shoulders sagged and that's something I've also noticed as I've watched more of his games.  

This is a pretty productive game given the foul situation nonetheless. 

Yesterday St. Paul's was beaten in OT 77-70.  I wasn't able to watch most of the second half or OT so not a lot I can tell you.  From the St. Paul's website:   Geronimo had 9 assists and 14 points, including two 3-pointers. 

From what I did watch, Geronimo didn't have anywhere close to 9 assists and IMO that was more likely his rebound total.  He did have 4 TOs while I watched and 2 of them were on really bad passes trying to thread a needle.  In the first half I had him with 9 points on 4-7 FG and 1-2 on 3's; 3 rebounds and just 2 assists.

Neither of these teams was anything more than average with too many players trying to make NBA moves and highlight plays - pretty sloppy game.  Teams like Blackhawk Christian, Bloom. South, Silver Creek would win by large margins IMO.  Geronimo is the best player on St.Paul's and again IMO, he should try to dominate more than he does.  I'm not suggesting he plays soft, but should be more of a ball hog when it comes to taking shots.  Almost too much of a team player if that makes sense.  He's interesting to watch as he goes up and down the court.  It almost looks like he's loafing (he really isn't) it's just his particular gait.  But he can really accelerate and he's a good leaper.  

It's really unfortunate that the St. Paul's game vs. Brewster Academy isn't somewhere on the internet.  He had a terrific performance against one of the top prep schools in the country and I'd like to watch it.