Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Received an IU offer yesterday.   6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan per the Indianahq article which also discusses Aminu Mohammed.   4-star rating and overall ranked 24th nationally and the #3 ranked center by 247.  Plays AAU ball for the PSA Cardinals on the Nike circuit.  From Westtown HS in Norristown, PA.

Rivals

https://indianahq.com/iu-offers-aminu-mohammed-franck-kepnang/

He's playing 'up' and averaged 16 min./game.   He's an AAU teammate of Hassan Diarra '20 who holds an IU offer.

Franck Kepnang '21 ( C ) - PSA Cardinals       Has IU Offer  
Date   Pts. FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks.
4/26 W 8 3 7 2 2 0 0 7 0 2 1 0
4/27 W 7 3 5 1 2 0 0 10 0 0 0 2
4/27 L 6 2 4 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
4/28 W 2 1 4 0 0 0 0 4 0 1 0 3
5/10 W 6 2 3 2 2 0 0 2 0 0 0 4
5/11 W 9 4 7 1 2 0 0 5 0 1 0 3
5/11 W 2 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
5/12 W     DID NOT PLAY              
5/24 L 9 4 5 1 2 0 0 7 0 2 0 1
5/25 W 2 0 3 2 2 0 0 5 1 0 0 2
5/25 L 2 0 2 2 2 0 0 1 1 3 0 1
5/26 W 7 2 2 3 3 0 0 2 0 1 0 1
5/26 W 6 3 9 0 0 0 2 5 6 1 0 0
7/12 L 6 3 6 0 0 0 0 5 0 2 0 1
7/13 W 5 2 2 1 2 0 0 2 0 2 0 0
7/13 W 13 6 9 1 3 0 0 8 0 1 0 6
7/14 W 6 2 5 2 4 0 0 5 0 1 0 6
7/14 L 4 2 3 0 0 0 0 3 0 3 0 1

Avg   5.9 51%   69%   0%   4 0 1 0 2
# Gms AAU 17                        

Franck Kepnang - everybody remembers him right?   Westtown School (remember Jake Forrester?)  Can't find any stats for their games but Westtown does stream some of their games.  Good video quality but there's no play-by-play so you have to keep your own scorecard.  They've already played 4 games and have a 3-1 record.  I watched their most recent game against Rock Top Academy which Westtown won 82-56 and I was not impressed.   At best, IMO Kepnang was the 4th best player in Westtown's starting lineup which went:  7'0", 6'8", 6'5", 6'4" and Kepnang 6'11".  He rarely seemed to be a part of the offense standing off to the side and then moving to the basket when shots were taken.  He was very rarely actually passed the ball.  He finished with 17 pts. on 8-10 FG with 6 being offensive rebound putbacks.  He attempted 1 3-pointer apparently because everyone else was shooting them.  He was 1-1 on FT; 9 reb; 1 asst; 1 TO; 2 blks.   Only saw him dribble on a single possession.  He nowhere near has the quickness and agility of Caleb Furst and with offers out to 3 centers, i.e., Furst, Duncomb and Kepnang I view Kepnang as a poor 3rd option.

Okay, now having given him a pretty negative review, keep in mind I am in no way a trained scout and you're getting what you pay for.  I'll try to watch a couple of more games and see if anything changes my opinion.  Here's a link to their athletic schedule and you can make your own judgments.

https://events.locallive.tv/schools/auth/westtownschool

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Franck Kepnang - everybody remembers him right?   Westtown School (remember Jake Forrester?)  Can't find any stats for their games but Westtown does stream some of their games.  Good video quality but there's no play-by-play so you have to keep your own scorecard.  They've already played 4 games and have a 3-1 record.  I watched their most recent game against Rock Top Academy which Westtown won 82-56 and I was not impressed.   At best, IMO Kepnang was the 4th best player in Westtown's starting lineup which went:  7'0", 6'8", 6'5", 6'4" and Kepnang 6'11".  He rarely seemed to be a part of the offense standing off to the side and then moving to the basket when shots were taken.  He was very rarely actually passed the ball.  He finished with 17 pts. on 8-10 FG with 6 being offensive rebound putbacks.  He attempted 1 3-pointer apparently because everyone else was shooting them.  He was 1-1 on FT; 9 reb; 1 asst; 1 TO; 2 blks.   Only saw him dribble on a single possession.  He nowhere near has the quickness and agility of Caleb Furst and with offers out to 3 centers, i.e., Furst, Duncomb and Kepnang I view Kepnang as a poor 3rd option.

Okay, now having given him a pretty negative review, keep in mind I am in no way a trained scout and you're getting what you pay for.  I'll try to watch a couple of more games and see if anything changes my opinion.  Here's a link to their athletic schedule and you can make your own judgments.

https://events.locallive.tv/schools/auth/westtownschool

YIKES! Sounds like a "what else you got" situation. After the Forrester experience, I might be inclined to cap that well and move on.

Watched another game and my opinion didn't change.  Westtown played First Love Christian Academy and it was Westtown's third game of the season.  They led throughout and at the end of the 3rd Q score was 61-52.  With just under 5 min. left, Westtown led by 10 but managed to lose the game 71-70 for its first loss of the season.  Kepnang with 5 pts. on 2-2 FG and 1-1 FT; 5 reb all in the 1st half; 3 TO; 2 stl; 1 blk, 4 fouls.  In the 2 games I've watched the pattern was to sit Kepnang for the last 2:30-3:00 of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Qs.  In this game, he was taken out with 3 min. left in the 3rd but didn't return until 2:00 left in the game.  No play-by-play with the game streams to get any idea of why he was on the bench for such a long time as he still only had 3 fouls at that time.

He is clearly not an integral part of the offense.  In the first game I watched and in the first half of this game, they position  7'0" Derek Lively (4-star per 247; #28 nationally; #3 center) at the stripe and put Kepnang (#24 & #4) under the basket jumping from side to side.  The other 3 are positioned outside passing the ball among themselves or into Lively who invariably kicks it back out.  I'm not sure they even look for Kepnang.  In the 2nd half tonight, they put Lively and Kepnang both down low on either side of the basket but the basic ball movement remained the same.

Kepnang's lateral quickness is a questionmark. 

So far, watching the game streams seems to be the only source for Kepnang's stats but I'm not planning on watching any more.  If we get an indication that he really is a highly sought recruit, I'll start watching but until then, I'm going into a holding pattern with him.

I've given Kepnang a couple of bad reviews but there's an opportunity to see him in action Tuesday the 10th at 4:00 ET.  Not an ideal time for many of you, but some of you can watch if you so desire.  You'll need to register with LocalLive Networks but it's a no cost registration.  https://events.locallive.tv/schools/auth/westtownschool

If anyone has tuned in at 4:00 to watch Kepnang, you're watching a JV game.  Schedule clearly indicated the varsity game was a 4:00 tipoff but it appears that it will actually not start until around 5:30.  Kepnang will be #22 for those who do watch.

Well, I said I wasn't going to watch any more of Kepnang's games  --  I lied.  I tuned it in with 2:00 left in the 2nd Q just as he picked up his 2nd foul and went to the bench.  Have no idea what he looked like up to that point.  He started the 3rd Q; had 1 FG attempt and 1 reb. Picked up his 3rd foul and went to the bench with 3:00 left in the 3rd.  Started the 4th but picked up 4th foul 2:00 into the quarter and spent the rest of the game on the bench.  In the 7 minutes he played in the 2nd half he was only thrown a single pass by a teammate.  His only other touch was his rebound.  Really hope someone saw the first half and can give us their impression of his play.  Oh, final score was Westtown 71 George School 52.  It was 40-19 at halftime and 56-29 at the end of the 3rd so the game was really never in doubt.

Well, I said I wasn't going to watch any more of Kepnang's games  --  I lied.  I tuned it in with 2:00 left in the 2nd Q just as he picked up his 2nd foul and went to the bench.  Have no idea what he looked like up to that point.  He started the 3rd Q; had 1 FG attempt and 1 reb. Picked up his 3rd foul and went to the bench with 3:00 left in the 3rd.  Started the 4th but picked up 4th foul 2:00 into the quarter and spent the rest of the game on the bench.  In the 7 minutes he played in the 2nd half he was only thrown a single pass by a teammate.  His only other touch was his rebound.  Really hope someone saw the first half and can give us their impression of his play.  Oh, final score was Westtown 71 George School 52.  It was 40-19 at halftime and 56-29 at the end of the 3rd so the game was really never in doubt.

You are always looking for the next Priller?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It figures.  I've panned Kepnang's play and today this from Jake Weingarten -
Five-star junior Frank Kepnang has been phenomenal early in the second half. Has hit four shots to begin the half and has given Westtown a four-point lead.

I will take your evaluation of him over a Louisville freshman that was recently let go from Louisville Rivals site for work ethic

42 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It figures.  I've panned Kepnang's play and today this from Jake Weingarten -

Five-star junior Frank Kepnang has been phenomenal early in the second half. Has hit four shots to begin the half and has given Westtown a four-point lead.

Oh lord no. Don’t go turning him into the Luke Brown of out of state bigs.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Shows just what little I know about evaluating talent -

Westtown defeats Brewster Academy, 73-72.  Five-star junior Frank Kepnang was amazing in this game. Finished as game MVP after scoring 18 points and 13 rebounds.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Maybe going forward I should just limit myself to posting factual info and leave my opinions to myself?    Remain silent and be thought a fool or hit the 'submit reply' key and remove all doubt.

You’re our fool though Old Fart

41 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Maybe going forward I should just limit myself to posting factual info and leave my opinions to myself?    Remain silent and be thought a fool or hit the 'submit reply' key and remove all doubt.

Don’t be too hard on yourself.  Didn't Clifton Moore once school a five star. 

Westtown participating in the Chick-Fil-A Classic and lost its first game to Hillcrest Prep.  So Kepnang after an incredible game less than a week ago against Brewster Academy with 18 pts. and 13 reb. it looks like he regressed to the player I watched earlier and commented on how unimpressed I was.   Westtown will play again tomorrow and play another game in the Classic on Monday.

Westtown participating in the Chick-Fil-A Classic and lost its first game to Hillcrest Prep.  So Kepnang after an incredible game less than a week ago against Brewster Academy with 18 pts. and 13 reb. it looks like he regressed to the player I watched earlier and commented on how unimpressed I was.   Westtown will play again tomorrow and play another game in the Classic on Monday.
EMRBHQoWkAATn9X?format=jpg%26name=4096x4096&key=2737b6877a3e7cf2b8405a567fa9fefa8c7230971533b772e17b0f9cce2f91e0

I haven’t watched him personally so I have no clue. But when someone that size is that inconsistent against inferior talent it usually means his effort is bad or he is a complete project.