Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

State of the program

"If we don't make the tournament but there's progress..." There is no progress if we don't make the tournament in 2020.  IU was the last team out this past year. If we don't make the tournament, we have either had the same kind of season as last year or worse. IU has to make the tournament in 2020.

4th to last team out last year. 72nd

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

36 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I think we make it, especially with even though I think the Big10 will be competitive, it won’t be as tough as last year. Also, I think our schedule will be slightly easier overall which will help us out.

I think Archie gets 4 years without a doubt unless this season is completely awful. If don’t make the tournament next year but there’s progress, I see him being out in 5 if he barely makes it in or out in years 4 and 5.

I get that our team stunk it up quite a bit, but this team was hit so hard with injuries that we lose site of the impact it had. If we stay healthy, this team is a top 50 team. I don’t see top 30 unless Hunter is healthy and killing it, along with Smith having a break out year.

I know everything is hypothetical, but I do believe that this team can make the tournament if healthy and can improve its shooting.

What's the definition of making progress though?  Just being really bad at the easiest shot in the game instead of terrible?  To me that's not confidence inspiring.  Not mailing it in for 2 months?  If the bar is that low then there are far bigger worries than making the tournament.

I just see many of the same issues persisting, not just because they've plagued Miller's whole career (and they have, red flag), but because the primary players are largely the same.  I hope Phinisee makes a jump and builds on strong play from last year and Durham can improve but we need more than that.  I have no faith Green is suddenly going to figure it out after being the same for 3 years.  Smith is an athlete but not a basketball player.  Anderson I'm very much in wait and see made on.  Hunter I don't expect anything from, so if he contributes then great.

The additions don't really address the biggest issues.

What about some of the more optimistic of us posters? Do you think we should make the tournament this year? I know injuries happen and that making the tournament is not the end all but I am curious where folks fall on this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What about some of the more optimistic of us posters? Do you think we should make the tournament this year? I know injuries happen and that making the tournament is not the end all but I am curious where folks fall on this.

To me he has to make the tournament this year.

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

We should, if injuries arent as bad as last year and I agree with a previous statement. I think Miller has to make the tournament this year as well

Can we have an expectations thread where we hold ourselves accountable at the end of the year?  Last year everybody thought we'd make the tourney and I was excited to hear that there would be no excuses.  

Then we were mediocre and I heard excuses.

Can we nix that this year?  If we miss the tourney again can some of you realize what I've been preaching all along?  This is Archie Miller basketball.  We deserve better.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Can we have an expectations thread where we hold ourselves accountable at the end of the year?  Last year everybody thought we'd make the tourney and I was excited to hear that there would be no excuses.  

Can we nix that this year?  If we miss the tourney again can some of you realize what I've been preaching all along?  This is Archie Miller basketball.  We deserve better.

This so much 

Last year everybody thought we'd make the tourney and I was excited to hear that there would be no excuses.  

I must apologize then. This whole time I thought you were frustrated because we didn’t hire Marshall. I didn’t realize it was due to to your perception of a situation and a correlation you came up with from that. I feel like I have been a dick for a full year then.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

I must apologize then. This whole time I thought you were frustrated because we didn’t hire Marshall. I didn’t realize it was due to to your perception of a situation and a correlation you came up with from that. I feel like I have been a dick for a full year then.

If honest, then thanks.  My frustration hasn't been who we didn't hire, but who we did hire.  

At worst, the forum was active and fun for a day.

I think the topic was relevant and the discussion has been interesting including its tangents.

Anyone think Archie and the team feels the pressure that this season is make or break in the mind of many fans? Or is this not a reality? Probably isn’t, honestly, but feels like it should be.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Here's another thing. Why does Archie keep targeting five star players? I mean we really need to win at this point. These guys are going to end up at Duke or Kentucky or somewhere along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Here's another thing. Why does Archie keep targeting five star players? I mean we really need to win at this point. These guys are going to end up at Duke or Kentucky or somewhere along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Starting to feel like a good question. It’s how Crean did things too. 5,4,3,2,1 blast off........

Except with Archie its 5,4,3..........open scholly.

Lol. Sorry couldn’t resist.

It honestly makes practical sense, but it’s an easy to watch transition that gets frustrating.

Go ahead and make it. Only person stopping you is you.

If you want, you can go dig back through last year’s posts.

For the record, my stance was that Romeo did nothing for our lack of PG and question around Deron’s health kept our big situation uncertain. I really didn’t know where to predict we’d end up.

Going into this year - I think our PG situation is looking up with RP as a sophomore. Our big situation is also looking better than last year assuming Deron is healthy again and TJD is ready for the beating in the B1G (I think he’ll have a promising but challenging year). Race also seems like he could be a big help here. I’m still not super confident in our post play.

Improved 3 point shooting will help, but I don’t think we need a ton of improvement in order to see drastic improvement in the offense.

I think we finish the year in the tournament as a 25-50th ranked team.

Feel free to put all of that on a sticky note or whatever.

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

At worst, the forum was active and fun for a day.

I think the topic was relevant and the discussion has been interesting including its tangents.

Anyone think Archie and the team feels the pressure that this season is make or break in the mind of many fans? Or is this not a reality? Probably isn’t, honestly, but feels like it should be.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Absolutely they need to feel it.  If Archie Miller underperforms in his first three years, then I'll lead the charge to replace him.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Go ahead and make it. Only person stopping you is you.

If you want, you can go dig back through last year’s posts.

For the record, my stance was that Romeo did nothing for our lack of PG and question around Deron’s health kept our big situation uncertain. I really didn’t know where to predict we’d end up.

Going into this year - I think our PG situation is looking up with RP as a sophomore. Our big situation is also looking better than last year assuming Deron is healthy again and TJD is ready for the beating in the B1G (I think he’ll have a promising but challenging year). Race also seems like he could be a big help here. I’m still not super confident in our post play.

Improved 3 point shooting will help, but I don’t think we need a ton of improvement in order to see drastic improvement in the offense.

I think we finish the year in the tournament as a 25-50th ranked team.

Feel free to put all of that on a sticky note or whatever.

I feel like somebody with more positivity should start that one, no?

I hope you're right with your prediction

While it was an underwhelming season (trust me, I’ve been outspoken about my frustrations with Archie/team), but no one in their right mind could have predicted the injuries that the team was dealt with. Rob’s concussion, Hunter missing the entire season, Race missing most of the season, McRoberts being hurt almost the entire season, Romero’s thumb injury, Al dislocating finger at MSU, Deron’s health iffy most of the season (some conditioning issues from last season’s injury), and a Green getting suspended (didn’t he also get injured and was out a couple games in the non-conference?).

I get both parties being positive or negative, but this team was totally derailed by injuries. This team also had 4 games where it took some ridiculous shooting to beat us. Trust me, I still think this team underachieved by not making the tournament, but if this team was mostly healthy all season, it gets into the tournament.

If this team can fix the slow starts and just be a cohesive team on the floor, I think this team can surprise some people. I’m expecting an 8-12th seed in the NCAA Tourney next season, and anything less will be a huge disappointment with Archie’s seat scolding hot (I realize my comment a few pages back about improving but not making the tournament made no sense, just an idiotic comment by me that I didn’t think through).

I think Archie can be the coach that can take us back to where we need to, but he needs to show much more than he did last season.