Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

TV Series Thread

Some say this is the Golden age of Tv dramas so I was curious everybody’s top 5 dramas of all time. So many good dramas have been made over the last 20 years it’s hard to narrow down but here are my top 5

1. Lost- From the first episode to the highly debated last episode( I loved it) this show had me obsessed. Like with IU basketball, Lost consumed my life. Not only when a episode was playing but spending the days after on message boards coming up with theories and trying to figure out what was coming next. Even if you didn’t like the ending the journey to get to it was a fantastic one. If you are looking for a an epic journey I highly recommend following the passengers of oceanic flight 815.

2. Game of Thrones- I go back and forth between this and Lost as my favorite of all time. Before this was even a show I was invested in this world already because the books are my favorite book series of all time. I was worried about how this was going to turn out as a show. Not worried anymore. As much as I love the books I became just as invested in the show. Characters, Characters, characters make this show the best. Some of the best character development of any show. Some truly unforgettable moments as well. Tyrion’s(Peter Dinklage) speech at his trial in season 4 is some of the best acting you will find. I was a little disappointed in the finale but not enough for it to ruin the whole series

3. Battlestar Galactica- I avoided this show for the longest time just because it was a show during the late 70’s that looked terrible. When they said they were remaking it I assumed it would be low budget and a cookie cutter Syfy drama with dull characters and heavily rely on special effects. A friend of mine kept pushing me to watch it after 2 season had aired and I finally watched it. This show pushed what a Syfy drama could be if done properly. They started with a 2 hr miniseries and later had a 4 season run of some of the most thought provoking storylines and everyday problems everyone faces all while running for their lives in space. If any of you were like me and avoided it because it was a Syfy show set in space I highly recommend watching it on amazon Prime. I promise it’s worth it. Frak!!

4. Breaking Bad/ Better Call Saul- from start to finish Breaking Bad might be the closest show to being written perfect. Not many throw away episodes in the series. Bryan Cranston as Walter White is about as good as it gets and Aaron Paul holds his own in each scene. I included Better Call Saul with it because it’s the spin-off that came after breaking bad was done and unlike most spinoffs it is written and acted just as good as the original and some might say maybe better.

5. The Wire- this show shows up on the all time list all the time and there is a reason for it. The cast was mostly unknown at the time and the realism of the show was unmatched. The shows ability to kill of lead characters to move the story forward set a trend for many shows after to follow. While on the surface it looks like another cop drama it’s way more then that. Younger posters who haven’t heard of the Wire it will hold up just fine if you watch it today even though it came out in 2002

Shows that deserved mentioned
The leftovers
Sorpranos
Twin Peaks
Justified
Dexter(minus last season)
Fringe
House(minus last couple seasons)
Orphan Black

I’m sure I’m missing some but am interested in anyone else’s list

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My old age will shine through in my list.

NYPD Blue - Andy Sipowicz (Dennis Franz) and especially the seasons with Bobby Simone (Jimmy Smits) as his partner is definitely in my top 5.  I'm often disappointed with series ending episodes but I thought this one was exceptionally well done.

Twilight Zone - Rod Serling was a masterful screenwriter.  

Gunsmoke - Only The Duke could have played the part of Matt Dillon any better.

M*A*S*H - It had its share of comedy interwoven in the series but overall I consider it a drama.  It only got better when Mike Farrell, Henry Morgan and David Ogden Stiers became series regulars.  Unlike NYPD Blue, I was somewhat disappointed with the series ending episode.

The Fugitive (TV series not the movie) - It wasn't locked into any specific locale and Richard Kimble could get involved in so many different situations as a man on the run.  Side note --  I watched the series ending episode in the Swine Barn at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.  lol

Oooh this is fun. My list (no order):

-Breaking Bad

-House of Cards (pre-Spacey being written out)

-Friday Night Lights

-Sons of Anarchy

-Band of Brothers (this is probably #1, honestly)

Honorable Mention:

-Justified (criminally underrated)

-Luther

-Seasons 1 through 3 of The Wire. They lost me after that, but those first 3 seasons, and especially 1 and 3 were just incredible  

-Lost (I think I loved it so much because it was VERY hard to get through during the writer’s strike portion (I binged it about 4 years ago), I embraced the struggle I guess)

-Homeland

-Season 1 of True Detective (haven’t gotten around to seasons 2 and 3, but season 1 was mind blowing)

12 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I havent watched much tv in 15 years but we got started on Breaking Bad on Netflix a few years ago and couldnt stop. Literally watching episodes til 3-4 in the morning.

I got hooked on it my freshman year of college. I legitimately spent most of the semester digging myself out of the hole I got in staying up watching that show for a few weeks. I ended up having to watch the last 2 seasons live and it was torture. 

Oooh this is fun. My list (no order):

-Breaking Bad
-House of Cards (pre-Spacey being written out)
-Friday Night Lights
-Sons of Anarchy
-Band of Brothers (this is probably #1, honestly)

Honorable Mention:
-Justified (criminally underrated)
-Luther
-Seasons 1 through 3 of The Wire. They lost me after that, but those first 3 seasons, and especially 1 and 3 were just incredible  
-Lost (I think I loved it so much because it was VERY hard to get through during the writer’s strike portion (I binged it about 4 years ago), I embraced the struggle I guess)
-Homeland
-Season 1 of True Detective (haven’t gotten around to seasons 2 and 3, but season 1 was mind blowing)

Sons had some great moments. Opie was such a good character.
True Detective season 1 was fantastic. Watching those 2 act together was like watching De Niro and Pacino acting together in Heat. Go ahead and skip season 2. Season 3 gets it back on track. Stephan Dorff beat acting job of his career.
I haven’t finished Homeland. I haven’t watched past season 3

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

True Detective season 1 was fantastic. Watching those 2 act together was like watching De Niro and Pacino acting together in Heat. Go ahead and skip season 2. Season 3 gets it back on track. Stephan Dorff beat acting job of his career.

The 2nd season of TD had an odd pairing so I didn’t try very hard to watch it. I LOVE Mahershala (sp?) Ali, so I’m itching to watch season 3. 

I have Homeland on a slow burn. I’m on season 4 or 5 I think, but I still sneak in a few episodes when I get a chance. I knocked out the Damien Lewis seasons in a few weeks though. 

Great question. Hadn’t really ranked my favorites before now. Off the top of my head:

1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer- Seasons 2 and 3 are my favorite episodic tv seasons ever, no question.

2) West Wing- Before Sorkin left.

3) Game of Thrones- Even when it got shaky, still loved it.

4) Sherlock- The best episodes were unlike anything else on TV.

5) Russian Doll- Natasha Lyonne is freaking extraordinary.

Honorable Mention: Killing Eve, Angel, Orphan Black, Mad Men, Six Feet Under, X-Files.

Great question. Hadn’t really ranked my favorites before now. Off the top of my head:
1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer- Seasons 2 and 3 are my favorite episodic tv seasons ever, no question.
2) West Wing- Before Sorkin left.
3) Game of Thrones- Even when it got shaky, still loved it.
4) Sherlock- The best episodes were unlike anything else on TV.
5) Russian Doll- Natasha Lyonne is freaking extraordinary.
Honorable Mention: Killing Eve, Angel, Orphan Black, Mad Men, Six Feet Under, X-Files.

Not many people have seen orphan black so I’m glad to see you have seen it. Tatiana Maslany performance is something to watch. I will have to check out Russian Doll

Ooh good topic. Gonna go with

Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul - Can not put into word last the sustained excellence of this universe.  And impressively both shows get better as they go  

Deadwood - a remarkable cast portraying well developed characters dealing with real stakes nobody really a hero and even the villain being more than that

Justified - an unbelievable tale of a good guy who does bad things and a bad guy that will at times do good things because they serve his interest.  Leading to frequent team ups with an unbelievable resolution.  

Firefly - Shiny 

Person of Interest - started as an episode of the week and was good.  But transformed into a serialized drama that unfortunately never caught on l.  

Something all these series have in common.  The people operate in the grey.  The world isn’t black and white.  In POI the main character stops a woman from murdering a man for being a serial rapist.  He lets her go but then dumps the rapist in a Mexican prison  

Good stuff. I love comedies and haven’t seen all the dramas but.....

1. BREAKING BAD!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing to me. Better Call Saul is great too. Not as good though. Still waiting for it to POP.

2. The Wire

3. Dexter- loved it up until the last season or 2, then it fell off.

4. Black Mirror on Netflix. Super thought provoking shows. Well acted. I low key loved this series.

5. Ozark. Only 2 seasons deep, but it has all the Breaking Bad type feel. Really enjoying it.

Comedies- more my go to.

1. It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia. Goofy, nuts, hilarious.

2. The office. Just excellent

3. Big Bang Theory. Love everything about it.

4. Curb your enthusiasm. Could easily be #1 on my list. Hilarious. Better than Seinfeld to me.

5. The League. A shorter series based on fantasy football league. It was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Good stuff. I love comedies and haven’t seen all the dramas but.....

1. BREAKING BAD!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing to me. Better Call Saul is great too. Not as good though. Still waiting for it to POP.

2. The Wire

3. Dexter- loved it up until the last season or 2, then it fell off.

4. Black Mirror on Netflix. Super thought provoking shows. Well acted. I low key loved this series.

5. Ozark. Only 2 seasons deep, but it has all the Breaking Bad type feel. Really enjoying it.

Comedies- more my go to.

1. It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia. Goofy, nuts, hilarious.

2. The office. Just excellent

3. Big Bang Theory. Love everything about it.

4. Curb your enthusiasm. Could easily be #1 on my list. Hilarious. Better than Seinfeld to me.

5. The League. A shorter series based on fantasy football league. It was excellent.

Ozark is very good. A few more seasons of this quality and it will crack my list. 

Personally I feel like Netflix shows tend to fall off a cliff versus the slow decline of network TV so I’m concerned. First season of bloodline was amazing for example but stunk season 2 

Homeland kind of lost my interest after season 3 or 4. Can’t remember which

Game of Thrones.  The last two seasons kind of wasted what they had built, but it's still the greatest show ever created.  Just the scale of it was insane.  

Someone said Deadwood.  Agree.  Peak HBO.

Firefly!  The greatest series that never was.  "My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Letterkenny.  Anyone else watch this?  It's a Canadian show that probably wasn't supposed to be anything, but it's kind of blown up.  Definitely my favorite thing on TV now.  If you start watching, just skip S1E3.  You'll be quoting this show immediately.  Pitter patter!

And then reality TV, I'll take Alone.  

1 minute ago, Stromboli said:

Game of Thrones.  The last two seasons kind of wasted what they had built, but it's still the greatest show ever created.  Just the scale of it was insane.  

Someone said Deadwood.  Agree.  Peak HBO.

Firefly!  The greatest series that never was.  "My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Letterkenny.  Anyone else watch this?  It's a Canadian show that probably wasn't supposed to be anything, but it's kind of blown up.  Definitely my favorite thing on TV now.  If you start watching, just skip S1E3.  You'll be quoting this show immediately.  Pitter patter!

And then reality TV, I'll take Alone.  

Holy crap how could I forget Firefly. Gonna replace DS9 with that

Good call on firefly. A show where the fans love it after it got cancelled ended up getting a movie made (Serenity) to continue the story. Great cast

Another show I forgot to mention was Chuck. Chuck wasn’t going to win any Emmys or get recognized but it was a great mix up of comedy, drama, action, spy world and references to pop culture. Soundtrack was an A+ as well. Special effects were terrible but the guest stars alone make it worth watching especially season 2

5 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Good call on firefly. A show where the fans love it after it got cancelled ended up getting a movie made (Serenity) to continue the story. Great cast

Another show I forgot to mention was Chuck. Chuck wasn’t going to win any Emmys or get recognized but it was a great mix up of comedy, drama, action, spy world and references to pop culture. Soundtrack was an A+ as well. Special effects were terrible but the guest stars alone make it worth watching especially season 2

Chuck was amazing! the actress made it.