Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Basketball Ticket Sales Issues?

I think IU is finally gonna get a wake up call this year and are about to get hit in the pocket with a lot of non ticket renewals and individual tickets available every game much like in 08-10 when Crean rebuilt. This is not insider knowledge but I was one who did not renew (It had nothing to do with performance but a job add that keeps me busy at nights and weekends at times) and got a call from IU just now about why I did not renew? I asked the woman on the phone if a lot of people did not renew and she stated she cannot disclose that but they are trying to get as many renewals as possible.

This tells me a ton of people of dropped and IU is about to get hit in the pocket in athletic revenue which hopefully is the kick in the butt IU needs to get it together. 

23 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I think IU is finally gonna get a wake up call this year and are about to get hit in the pocket with a lot of non ticket renewals and individual tickets available every game much like in 08-10 when Crean rebuilt. This is not insider knowledge but I was one who did not renew (It had nothing to do with performance but a job add that keeps me busy at nights and weekends at times) and got a call from IU just now about why I did not renew? I asked the woman on the phone if a lot of people did not renew and she stated she cannot disclose that but they are trying to get as many renewals as possible.

This tells me a ton of people of dropped and IU is about to get hit in the pocket in athletic revenue which hopefully is the kick in the butt IU needs to get it together. 

I used to work with the IU Auditorium in college and it is standard procedure to call people that do not renew their season tickets to see why or to check to make sure they didn't forget. Not saying that there isn't a decline in season ticket renewals, but I don't think the fact that they called you is necessarily indicative of it. 

9 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I used to work with the IU Auditorium in college and it is standard procedure to call people that do not renew their season tickets to see why or to check to make sure they didn't forget. Not saying that there isn't a decline in season ticket renewals, but I don't think the fact that they called you is necessarily indicative of it. 

Not entirely but if they had enough people interested to replace me I would not of been called. The fact that they needed to call me means at the very least they are struggling to get renewals. They may in the end get it but at the very least they are having trouble.

I for one half hope (and half don't since I want fans to support team and don't need the bad press) they lose 3-4K season ticket holders and get a kick in the butt to change how they do things. Getting hit in pocket is surest way to  make changes to how things run.

Just now, Aaron said:

Not entirely but if they had enough people interested to replace me I would not of been called. The fact that they needed to call me means at the very least they are struggling to get renewals. They may in the end get it but at the very least they are having trouble. I for one half hope (and half don't since I want fans to support team and don't need the bad press) they lose 3-4K season ticket holders and get a kick in the butt to change how they do things. Getting hit in pocket is surest way to produce winning teams and make changes.

Maybe it is different with basketball because there is a waiting list, but I spent my summers in college calling season ticket holders for the IU Auditorium to inquire about renewal. I think that they probably just called you because your account was flagged that you didn't renew. Again, could be different because its basketball, but I am assuming that the process is somewhat similar.

18 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

Maybe it is different with basketball because there is a waiting list, but I spent my summers in college calling season ticket holders for the IU Auditorium to inquire about renewal. I think that they probably just called you because your account was flagged that you didn't renew. Again, could be different because its basketball, but I am assuming that the process is somewhat similar.

I am not sure but I know since Supposedly they have a waiting list, if I drop, someone on it should be given chance to get tickets. The fact they called and pleaded with me to renew (and yes she definitely pleaded) tells me they are having trouble getting season ticket commitments. If the interest was high she would of just moved on and gone to someone on waiting list I assume.    

I am not sure but I know since Supposedly they have a waiting list, if I drop, someone on it should be given chance to get tickets. The fact they called and pleaded with me to renew (and yes she definitely pleaded) tells me they are having trouble getting season ticket commitments. If the interest was high she would of just moved on and gone to someone on waiting list I assume.    
Or they were calling to ensure you just didn't forget before they offered to the next person on the waiting list as a mmon courtesy since you had the tickets

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It’s very likely standard procedure to collect data about why someone didn’t renew.

I just very highly doubt IU basketball fans are suddenly calling it quits now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s very likely standard procedure to collect data about why someone didn’t renew.

I just very highly doubt IU basketball fans are suddenly calling it quits now.

I think one big issue is the competition for the entertainment $ and our entertainment time. My company is currently a corporate sponsor at IU but we met with the Colts recently and for about the same money we could partner with them. We would only choose one entity and if deciding today, we would switch.

One of the things we have learned in the evaluation process is just how diverse our interests are now. Some fans may still like IU about the same but many are not going out of their way to get to games or other events I have set up with the program.

IU fans have been in this “almost” level for awhile now and still maintain an affinity for IU but have been choosing to use the time they commit to IU games for other entertainment things now.

While the Colts are pretty well ahead of the pack on interest level in the state, IU was well ahead of many of the others (think the 500 was 3rd then the Pacers but I could be wrong on the Pacers). That is the case with IU fans having been waiting for a consistent winner. If IU can find a way to build that consistent winner, especially if every 2-4 yrs we make a run , then I think folks will start choosing to go to IU games over some of the other options.

So while fans aren’t leaving in droves there has been a steady decline in many sports due to competition for time and money.