Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

On 8/2/2019 at 9:00 PM, Stuhoo said:

I asked Caleb Love to decscribe his final six head coaches in one word:
Roy Williams-Amazing
Bill Self-Cool
Archie Miller-Passionate
Cuonzo Martin-Genuine
Sean Miller-Confident
Chris Mack-Consistent

@caleb2love

Paul Biancardi

Such a stupid question. 

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I can definitely see why they would. I can’t comment on Walter McCarty the coach, but I can comment on Walter McCarty the person. He’s a phenomenal guy, just a really, really good person. In my NBA time with Celtics he was probably the best guy I worked with. Treated the front office staff with tons of respect (which isn’t always the case), went above and beyond in the community, and was a guy that would do things for the business people (pr, community and sponsor stuff) when others players wouldn’t show up, or would just refuse, etc.

None of that means he’s capable of running a D1 college basketball program, I completely get that, but I can definitely see why coaches like that would go work with him. He’s just good people, and maybe they thought they could bring experience and help him learn the ropes. 

I sort of meant with the background and DNA both Graves and Lickliter have, they're not going to learn much from him from a coaching standpoint.  I've known the Lickliter family since I was a freshman in high school in the 1980's, Todd, while maybe not a great leader or communicator, has forgotten more basketball than McCarty knows.  Walter McCarty is another coach who speaks in platitudes and cliche's.   May be the nicest man on the planet...I'm just not sure I think Todd Lickliter in particular gains much from working under him except maybe he gets to stay in a good conference and in his home state.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:16 PM, Old Friend said:

I honestly can't believe either of those two guys took jobs to be on Walter McCarty's staff. Have heard him interviewed and speak publicly; and have been less than impressed.   

Penny Hardaway has the #1 recruiting class in basketball and to me sounds like a 100% disingenious snake salesman.  What recruits want to hear isn't necessarily what impresses us.

At the end of the day, Evansville got a coach that played in the league for 11 seasons and has NBA assistant coaching experience.  At a place like Evansville, it's probably worth the risk to bring in someone like him.

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I sort of meant with the background and DNA both Graves and Lickliter have, they're not going to learn much from him from a coaching standpoint.  I've known the Lickliter family since I was a freshman in high school in the 1980's, Todd, while maybe not a great leader or communicator, has forgotten more basketball than McCarty knows.  Walter McCarty is another coach who speaks in platitudes and cliche's.   May be the nicest man on the planet...I'm just not sure I think Todd Lickliter in particular gains much from working under him except maybe he gets to stay in a good conference and in his home state.

What was Lickliter looking to gain at this point?  After Iowa, he took the head job at Marian and then was a scout for three years with the Celtics after that.  He's 64 now and says he is retiring.  Regardless of his opinion of McCarthy, he's spent his last 40 years as a high school head coach, a college assistant, a college head coach, and as an NBA scout.  Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if his future involvement in basketball at any level is very, very minimal.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

What was Lickliter looking to gain at this point?  After Iowa, he took the head job at Marian and then was a scout for three years with the Celtics after that.  He's 64 now and says he is retiring.  Regardless of his opinion of McCarthy, he's spent his last 40 years as a high school head coach, a college assistant, a college head coach, and as an NBA scout.  Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if his future involvement in basketball at any level is very, very minimal.

Exactly why I'm surprised he took the job.

It's not surprising Todd Lickliter would become an assistant at Evansville. He's a native Hoosier, loves to coach, and at this point in his career this is probably the only opportunity still available to him to coach at the division I college level.  Lickliter is working for a head coach, Walter McCarty, who was a standout player at Kentucky, first round draft pick who played in the NBA for a decade,  and worked as an NBA assistant coach for 10 years.  McCarty also was an assistant at Louisville where he worked for his college coach Rick Pitino. He obviously has a good resume and a wealth of experience. Lickliter was a scout with the Celtics when McCarty was a Celtic assistant coach so they apparently know and like each other. The fit seems good to them. I'm not sure why anyone would question Lickliter's motives for taking this job.

So, back on the topic of Schilling leaving for a second or two ... Does anybody have any intel on when and with whom Archie is gonna fill this position? ... The Calbert-to-IU rumors had legs for a while, but that front appears to be quiet -- at least for now. ... Although we are in a quiet period as far as recruiting goes, it seems as if Archie should get cracking on this ... I wouldn't know for sure, but I can't imagine there are too many Power 5 conference schools missing a top assistant at this point in the year. School starts toward the end of the month and the quiet period ends soon after that. This position needs to get filled! 

30 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would say by the end of this week or weekend. I think Calbert interviewed for the job but I do not think he will get the job. I think it will be a very good hire, someone with a lot of experience who the fans will be happy with. 

In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, if Calbert interviewed and won't get it, the person we hire will not be who we need unless it's Michael Lewis or someone like that.   THIS fan wants an IU guy in that program playing a prominent role.    There are a whole lot of qualified coaches.  Doesn't mean they all fit here or anywhere else; and I think this is a unique place.

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, if Calbert interviewed and won't get it, the person we hire will not be who we need unless it's Michael Lewis or someone like that.   THIS fan wants an IU guy in that program playing a prominent role.    There are a whole lot of qualified coaches.  Doesn't mean they all fit here or anywhere else; and I think this is a unique place.

First of all, you stated "In my opinion," so there's that (and I regularly agree with your opinion). 

That having been said, this time I strongly disagree with your opinion;

This is not just an X's and O's basketball role, not just a recruiting role, and not just a 'connection to the program' role. It is also, and is foremost, a management culture and leadership role. In my opinion, the primary objective is to find someone who can effectively work alongside Flint, Ostrom, and Comar under Archie Miller. This is a team of coaches, and they need to, have to, find someone who will fit into that managerial team. That is what will allow recruiting, in-game decisions, and yes, even in-state and alumni relations to flourish.

It would be nice if Archie could build a program that is regularly in the hunt for the BT. If he can do that I would hope somewhere down the line we add an assistant or 2 that played here and is passionate about coaching at this level.

For now though, hire the best fit and build a winner

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would say by the end of this week or weekend. I think Calbert interviewed for the job but I do not think he will get the job. I think it will be a very good hire, someone with a lot of experience who the fans will be happy with. 
When you say fans will be happy does that include old friend?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

First of all, you stated "In my opinion," so there's that (and I regularly agree with your opinion). 

That having been said, this time I strongly disagree with your opinion;

This is not just an X's and O's basketball role, not just a recruiting role, and not just a 'connection to the program' role. It is also, and is foremost, a management culture and leadership role. In my opinion, the primary objective is to find someone who can effectively work alongside Flint, Ostrom, and Comar under Archie Miller. This is a team of coaches, and they need to, have to, find someone who will fit into that managerial team. That is what will allow recruiting, in-game decisions, and yes, even in-state and alumni relations to flourish.

Curious to know which part of that description you believe Calbert does not fill?   He is a leader.....and I know that because I knew him in school a little, he is connected having played in the NbA for 15 years and done lots of coaching since, and he's an IU guy.  Personally?  I can't stand Bruiser Flint.  I think he adds next to nothing.    Why is Calbert a bad fit given your description?  I'm at the Reds v Angel's game, so  good 'tween innings conversation.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

There is a difference between someone who interviews because they feel like they should and someone who interviews because they really want the job. That's all I'm going to say for now.

Fair enough.  If accurate....I get it.