Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

10 hours ago, Chris007 said:

It gets old hearing we need an IU guy, then we get an IU guy, and some people go oh not him. We’re all IU!!

I agree. I was about to post about this saying the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

One thing that excites me about this hire is Mike will handle all of the fall workouts, just like Schilling did. This is what fits Mike the best, he will get the most out of these kids, he is not afraid to get on someone. He will jump right into this role and run with it. 

Chris, Do you know if the first contact on this was Archie to Roberts or Roberts to Archie? Curious.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Chris, Do you know if the first contact on this was Archie to Roberts or Roberts to Archie? Curious.

I do not know. One day I will hopefully get to sit down Mike and I will ask how this came about. This hiring was as quiet as any I've ever been around. So I really don't know if he was our first choice or second. 

On a silver platter. 
Because this site has posters that know what the heck they're talking about. As much as I'm not a fan of self-congratulations, it came to my attention that other sites were self-congratulating ... heavily, all while NOT knowing what the heck was really going on.
So I'll leave that there, and try not to do that again; but it kinda ticked me off when another site had snarky mod posts about their wonderfulness, about how they weren't sure that this board even existed, and interspersed them with completely off-point information, all while we were hours into discussing the eventual hire.
Rant over.

Understand. Ever since we split with them it’s how it’s been. The funny thing is we didn’t sign up there when we were mods. They are signed up over here and would steal information and take it back to their board as their own. That’s why we started the you had to be logged in to see anything posted.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Does anyone think there’s a chance that CAM reached out at all to RMK about this hire? I know it’s CAM’s decision solely but surely he has to know that getting some RMK support could really only help his cause. With the purported softening of RMK’s Ill will toward the university coupled with his recent move back to B-Town, is this at least a possibility in your eyes? I know RMK has publicly supported CAM in the past and this may be a way of helping him out if he truly believes in him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Does anyone think there’s a chance that CAM reached out at all to RMK about this hire? I know it’s CAM’s decision solely but surely he has to know that getting some RMK support could really only help his cause. With the purported softening of RMK’s Ill will toward the university coupled with his recent move back to B-Town, is this at least a possibility in your eyes? I know RMK has publicly supported CAM in the past and this may be a way of helping him out if he truly believes in him.

If the fanbase needs RMKs support for hiring an assistant coach then that is a huge issue with our fanbase. 

Even before he left IU the game had passed him by. 

11 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I do know Romeo changed Archie’s mind on recruiting. That’s why you see Leal & Galloway. If you can get a great player fine but take good players and coach them up. Add a Lander and you’re good.

I think  getting Romeo sets the precedent of 5* Indiana kids coming here.

If Romeo came in a couple years as opposed to last year, I bet his story would have been a lot different.

If the fanbase needs RMKs support for hiring an assistant coach then that is a huge issue with our fanbase. 
Even before he left IU the game had passed him by. 

Not saying the fanbase NEEDS his support, I’m merely saying that it can’t be a bad thing if his support is gained. Two different things. But I would say that there is a certain faction of the fanbase that won’t support anything unless it’s got RMK’s stamp of approval. I am not one of those people, but they certainly are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

42 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Congratulations Mike Roberts, and Archie needs to spend as much time allowed with the General. I believe both parties have an opportunity to right wrongs before it’s too late. Knight has already been on campus so hope to get him back to Assembly Hall soon.

For all you naysayers, Roberts has been officially blessed by that legend in his own mind...........   This in response to the question - Do you like Mike Roberts?

Dan Dakich @dandakich

Yeah! Don’t know him well but I have always liked him and at least there’s someone on staff that has an understanding of what #iubb could be..he won’t bow down to players like last years coaches literally did

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

For all you naysayers, Roberts has been officially blessed by that legend in his own mind...........   This in response to the question - Do you like Mike Roberts?

Dan Dakich @dandakich

Yeah! Don’t know him well but I have always liked him and at least there’s someone on staff that has an understanding of what #iubb could be..he won’t bow down to players like last years coaches literally did

What an @$$.He just can't help himself.

1 hour ago, Woodson1980 said:

What an @$$.He just can't help himself.

He's right.  I really don't get the hatred for Dakich.  I just don't.  He's got a far greater insight to the program than any of us by 50x, he does love the school and the program despite the narrative otherwise.  He's not bitter he wasn't hired long term; and he's right.  Schilling, Ostrom, and Flint ALL cowered to players.

I really don't understand the negative opinions of Dakich.  If you don't like the way he says things, I say grow a pair.  And if you believe the false narratives about him, I say do your own digging and stop listening to people who don't know what they're talking about in this case.  

Dakich has a unique perspective on the program none of us has.  He has so much inside information it would make your collective heads spin.  I know the guy, and all he wants is for Indiana to win and do so with people who understand what this program is.  It's so easy to just believe the people who say "he's nothing but an ungrateful blowhard because he's bitter he wasn't hired."   That is absolutely, 100% not the case.  I absolutely agree with him that Indiana's winning culture was built by a coach and his players over 29 seasons, and Indiana ran away from that.  20 years later, we're all still searching; and his answer is the same as mine.   "Go back to what built that culture.  Indiana is a unique place, and it's time to treat it as such."   

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He's right.  I really don't get the hatred for Dakich.  I just don't.  He's got a far greater insight to the program than any of us by 50x, he does love the school and the program despite the narrative otherwise.  He's not bitter he wasn't hired long term; and he's right.  Schilling, Ostrom, and Flint ALL cowered to players.

I really don't understand the negative opinions of Dakich.  If you don't like the way he says things, I say grow a pair.  And if you believe the false narratives about him, I say do your own digging and stop listening to people who don't know what they're talking about in this case.  

Dakich has a unique perspective on the program none of us has.  He has so much inside information it would make your collective heads spin.  I know the guy, and all he wants is for Indiana to win and do so with people who understand what this program is.  It's so easy to just believe the people who say "he's nothing but an ungrateful blowhard because he's bitter he wasn't hired."   That is absolutely, 100% not the case.  I absolutely agree with him that Indiana's winning culture was built by a coach and his players over 29 seasons, and Indiana ran away from that.  20 years later, we're all still searching; and his answer is the same as mine.   "Go back to what built that culture.  Indiana is a unique place, and it's time to treat it as such."   

How do you know they cowered to players? The practices I was at I never saw that. I also never saw Dan at practice, now i did see him at a walk-thru but not at practice. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

How do you know they cowered to players? The practices I was at I never saw that. I also never saw Dan at practice, now i did see him at a walk-thru but not at practice. 

Send me a PM and I'll tell you exactly why I feel that way.  Not for public discussion.  

22 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Send me a PM and I'll tell you exactly why I feel that way.  Not for public discussion.  

I think this is part of the problem. Dan will say negative stuff, but not tell you why. So without the info, the insight has little value. DD wants to play it both ways.  I appreciated his honesty about Knight.