Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It seemed like we lost recruiting momentum but looks like that was simply because we were changing course 

Every other year there’s going to be a McDonald’s all-American from Indiana, get that guy like a TJD, then get the next best players from the state the rest of the years.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

I was writing a much longer and angrier post with this same theme, but you got there quicker and more succinctly. Perfect response. And the criticism that CAM might be hiring a, gasp, mid-major coach just aggravates me to death. Some of the very best coaches in the game are mid-major coaches. If I had to argue who the best game coach in CBB is, I would probably say Randy Bennett or Bob McKillop. If I had to argue who the best game coach I’ve ever seen is, it would absolutely be John Kresse. Just because a guy hasn’t sat next to K or  Beilein doesn’t mean he hasn’t learned from a great coach and wouldn’t be a huge get.

Great post! 

Exactly. I can’t imagine being upset about this? Do the people that are upset know a single thing about Mike Roberts the coach, any recruiting ties he may or may not have, or really anything about his coaching prowess. Is he good at advanced scouting, implementing game plans, developing players? 
They just like to be negative. My bet is they have no clue

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m not going to pretend to know anything about Mike Roberts as a coach or recruiter. Based on that my opinion on the matter is probably worthless but on the surface I am underwhelmed. He may be the best thing since sliced bread but I just do not see it. I do know that there HAD to be better options out there because I have read from people in the know that we have the money to throw at assistants. Who knows what ultimately led to the hiring. Hoping he is better than Schilling at the very least..

8 hours ago, Demo said:

I was writing a much longer and angrier post with this same theme, but you got there quicker and more succinctly. Perfect response. And the criticism that CAM might be hiring a, gasp, mid-major coach just aggravates me to death. Some of the very best coaches in the game are mid-major coaches. If I had to argue who the best game coach in CBB is, I would probably say Randy Bennett or Bob McKillop. If I had to argue who the best game coach I’ve ever seen is, it would absolutely be John Kresse. Just because a guy hasn’t sat next to K or  Beilein doesn’t mean he hasn’t learned from a great coach and wouldn’t be a huge get.

Scotty Davenport at Bellarmine!

10 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Hopefully Roberts is good with Big Men. He must have some kind of skill. I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

From Roberts UNCG bio:

Roberts helped center R.J. White earn All-Southern Conference honors three times in his career and finish eighth all-time in scoring with 1,460 points and fourth in rebounds with 878 caroms. White was the league’s dominant post player during his final two years, including ranking 11th in NCAA Division I in field goal percentage in 2015-16 (61.6%).

http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32200&ATCLID=209255391

Mike Roberts is hardly a home run but probably the best we can do under the circumstances (i.e., late summer means bad timing; IU's reputation is down nationally). If it is Roberts, give the guy a chance. He undoubtedly brings skills and perspective the program needs. 

I'm trying to think of any time we either had a new head coach hiring assistants or had to replace one that fans were really excited about who we hired.  Probably the most enthusiasm was when CAM hired Schilling.  Ed was thought to "check all the boxes" and fit the description of being a home run hire and look how that worked out.

Bottom line is that most of us don't have a whiff of a clue how well a coach (particularly an assistant) will pan out.  It's nice to have someone with an IU background or name recognition, but this is totally about CAM getting guys that will share his philosophy and work well with/for him.

Mike Roberts:

• I know nothing about him as a coach.
  • Wasn't a stellar player while at IU.
  • Observed the last bit of the old culture at IU.
  • Was in our last NC game.  Observed adversity, determination, and achievement during that season.
  • Who else came from that culture era?  Michael Lewis (unavailable) and Dane Fife (unavailable)
  • Name 5 NBA all-stars that are great college coaches?
  • IMO, Archie may be looking for that last bit of IU culture and to understand what it takes.
  • I don't know if it's a homerun but it may be what this program needs.

If it's Roberts I'm glad he has IU ties.  We've gone away from IU long enough and it's failed.

I don't know about him as a coach but I will not assume he'd be a good hire just because, not wired that way.  I would hope we at least reached out to the likes of Lewis, we don't know if we don't try.