Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

I’m honestly not overly concerned with the hire. I understand the need to want someone established at a high level with recruiting or Connections, but to be honest there are lots of mid major or Lower level coaches that have an extremely high coaching IQ and are more than capable of Xs and Os, which to me is more important. IMHO a guy can learn to recruit moreso than a guy can learn to read a live defense and adjust on the fly or game plan. Some guys just have the ability to look at a game and dissect it. That to me is more important. At the end of the day Archie and Ostrom are our top recruiters, and I’m honestly not disappointed in what we’ve been getting, the new asst isn’t going to make or break the recruiting trail too much. There are lots of quality guys waiting for the chance to prove themselves, and are more than capable of being just as good or better than some of the “name brand” guys that some people want.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan0302 said:

Underwhelming hire if it’s Mike Roberts . Was expecting someone with major recruiting connections.

Establish a winning vibe with the kind of recruits that we are getting now, and that is not a problem. You can put all the great recruits on the floor all you want, and if you don't know your X's and O's or player development, getd you nowhere.

Ha! Awesome isn’t it? Back in the day the Moses Abraham and Cody Zeller threads were my eye opener.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Moses Abraham thread was the best lol. Dark times, dark times haha

I’m honestly not overly concerned with the hire. I understand the need to want someone established at a high level with recruiting or Connections, but to be honest there are lots of mid major or Lower level coaches that have an extremely high coaching IQ and are more than capable of Xs and Os, which to me is more important. IMHO a guy can learn to recruit moreso than a guy can learn to read a live defense and adjust on the fly or game plan. Some guys just have the ability to look at a game and dissect it. That to me is more important. At the end of the day Archie and Ostrom are our top recruiters, and I’m honestly not disappointed in what we’ve been getting, the new asst isn’t going to make or break the recruiting trail too much. There are lots of quality guys waiting for the chance to prove themselves, and are more than capable of being just as good or better than some of the “name brand” guys that some people want.

This is basically my thinking. I believe Archie and Co. realize that IU can recruit itself, to some extent, if managed properly. Coach Ostrom also has ties to the Midwest that have been helpful. We’ve landed some solid to great recruits the last few recruiting cycles. I don’t see that changing due to the next assistant coaching hire.

Give me the coach that’s good at developing talent, knows his X’s and O’s, and meshes well with the other coaches.

9 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Amazing that Tom Allen can go out and get a hot OC from Fresno State.

But Archie is out trying to get Mike Roberts? Lol.

Wow.

That OC is making double what Mike is. But I guarantee you that Mike is going to work his butt off. He love IU. 

15 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Amazing that Tom Allen can go out and get a hot OC from Fresno State.

But Archie is out trying to get Mike Roberts? Lol.

Wow.

I'm sure the football team wouldn't have been able to get a new OC of some caliber if DeBord quit/resigned/got fired after spring practice.

The stupidity isn't as much about getting Mike Roberts as it is not getting rid of Schilling the moment the season ended(if that was the plan) instead of waiting until June when his contract expired. That really limited the options as far as hiring someone the likes of Michael Lewis or getting an experienced HC that had just been canned.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

People seem to forget that the basketball equivalent to the new OC for Archie is Ostrom.

I’ve met the OC once, and I know Tom Allen went to Glass for the money to get a big time hire. But I worked with Mike when he was here and he loves this place. He knows what’s it like to play at IU and would probably do it for 100K