Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

13 hours ago, Old Friend said:
Curious to know which part of that description you believe Calbert does not fill?   He is a leader.....and I know that because I knew him in school a little, he is connected having played in the NbA for 15 years and done lots of coaching since, and he's an IU guy.  Personally?  I can't stand Bruiser Flint.  I think he adds next to nothing.    Why is Calbert a bad fit given your description?  I'm at the Reds v Angel's game, so  good 'tween innings conversation.

Oh; I think Calbert could be a fantastic fit!
If him and Archie see eye to eye and Calbert were “all in” to perform in the job, I’d be thrilled if he were the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Curious to know which part of that description you believe Calbert does not fill?   He is a leader.....and I know that because I knew him in school a little, he is connected having played in the NbA for 15 years and done lots of coaching since, and he's an IU guy.  Personally?  I can't stand Bruiser Flint.  I think he adds next to nothing.    Why is Calbert a bad fit given your description?  I'm at the Reds v Angel's game, so  good 'tween innings conversation.

Hey at the game myself, if you’re a reds fan it’s been a good one 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh; I think Calbert could be a fantastic fit!
If him and Archie see eye to eye and Calbert were “all in” to perform in the job, I’d be thrilled if he were the choice.

I think so also, but he has to want to.   I just want someone who can sell and who understands the culture at Indiana.    It's been missing too long and I think the administration made a huge mistake distancing the university from Bob Knight.    Don't have to like the man, but like any leader, he should be and should have been evaluated and judged by the job he did, and that was undeniable.

1 hour ago, BtownBanner6 said:

Hey at the game myself, if you’re a reds fan it’s been a good one 

That's so awesome.  It sure has.  My son is with me.  High school CF and a huge Trout fan.  Saw him drop a fly ball and hit a HR.   Perfect night, too.

47 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

That's so awesome.  It sure has.  My son is with me.  High school CF and a huge Trout fan.  Saw him drop a fly ball and hit a HR.   Perfect night, too.

Absolutely think any baseball fan is doing themselves an injustice not watch him play when they get a chance 

I would say by the end of this week or weekend. I think Calbert interviewed for the job but I do not think he will get the job. I think it will be a very good hire, someone with a lot of experience who the fans will be happy with. 

Tonagel’s name is being tossed around on another site. Have you heard his name mentioned at all or is the name your hearing bigger within college basketball?

13 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Tonagel’s name is being tossed around on another site. Have you heard his name mentioned at all or is the name your hearing bigger within college basketball?

If you want an X and O guy, he's pretty good.  As a recruiter, not sure he is going to bring much to the table in terms of a major conference.

That said, he's been a head coach at a (very successful) NAIA school for the past 14 years.  Would think that he'd be more like a guy that would move up to the head coach of a low major job than be an assistant as a high major.

4 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I would love to trade Flint for Cheaney. Not a big Flint guy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’ve been extremely pleased with our front court so far so I don’t have a problem with Flint myself. Will interesting now that he’s got some bigs 

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

As opinionated as I am. What the fans want and what the fans need are almost certainly different. Hire the best person for the job. End of story. 

This has been said and accepted over and over for 20 years.   "The best person for the job" has not been successfully hired yet.   It's been a turnstyle of failures since Mike Davis got the job.   This is a very broad brush way of looking at it.  What does "the best person" look like?    

17 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

This has been said and accepted over and over for 20 years.   "The best person for the job" has not been successfully hired yet.   It's been a turnstyle of failures since Mike Davis got the job.   This is a very broad brush way of looking at it.  What does "the best person" look like?    

Not sure, but the fact the program has been a disaster for the last twenty years would suggest the best person does not have Indiana connections. 

Someone that is a very strong recruiter and can be a net positive on guard development. Bruiser is doing a decent job with the bigs. I personally don’t care where they are from as long as they can assist in those two areas and help instill a consistency in effort and execution. That’s what I hope for.

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

Calbert doesn’t have any national recruiting connections. The next assistant coach must have strong recruiting connections to players in the 2020 and 2021 classes so IU can bring in the talent needed to be competitive.

We have been down that road.  How many coaches have we hired who have had "strong ________" on paper?    Hasn't worked.     To me, there is no paper profile.  What we really haven't done is hire an IU guy and give him large responsibility.  All moot if Calbert doesn't want it, but seriously...  how much national experience do you need if you understand what you're selling?  "Hi, I'm Calbert Cheaney.   All time NCAA scoring leader and I played at Indiana before I played in the NBA for 15 years."   If I'm a kid not bound by a shoe company, I am now listening.

We have been down that road.  How many coaches have we hired who have had "strong ________" on paper?    Hasn't worked.     To me, there is no paper profile.  What we really haven't done is hire an IU guy and give him large responsibility.  All moot if Calbert doesn't want it, but seriously...  how much national experience do you need if you understand what you're selling?  "Hi, I'm Calbert Cheaney.   All time NCAA scoring leader and I played at Indiana before I played in the NBA for 15 years."   If I'm a kid not bound by a shoe company, I am now listening.

Most kids have no clue who Calbert Cheaney is. In the last 30 years we have had Dan Dakich on our staff. We have had IU guys. The problem is your last sentence. The strong majority of kids will end up with the brand their grassroots team is with. You need someone that can navigate those waters. I love Calbert but he is not that guy.