Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

This whole thing is still strange to me. You’d think some of the journalists would be asking about this vacancy and how it’ll be handled/when filled.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To my understanding they have been periodically. They are getting the standard no updates as of now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This whole thing is still strange to me. You’d think some of the journalists would be asking about this vacancy and how it’ll be handled/when filled.

The local sports journalists are so scared of losing their press pass that they basically just reprint IU Athletics press releases. No hard questions will be asked.

No reason Lewis couldn’t leave UCLA. Assistants leave for other roles all the time and there isn’t set time they need to stay. 1 month, 1 year, 10 years, nothing stopping him from leaving

I would say his family is a reason. They just moved out there less than a month ago and his kids are starting school. If it was going to be him it would have happened already imo.

Remember the advantages of not naming an assistant coach during the next few weeks.
Aug 1-3 is a quiet period
Aug 4-11 is a dead period.

These times restrict coaches and schools from contacting recruits. But coaches announced after the 11th might still be able to contact kids during these limited access periods.

Honestly I would be disappointed if we announced someone before the 11th.

Remember the advantages of not naming an assistant coach during the next few weeks.

These times restrict coaches and schools from contacting recruits. But coaches announced after the 11th might still be able to contact kids during these limited access periods.

Good point. Hopefully this is the reason. Excited to see if it’s Calbert or who it may be.

Still seems like a reactionary thing.

By the way how is Van Zyl or whatever his name is, doing?

Can you explain how that would work/make any sense? How would a person go about recruiting a kid to IU when they don’t work there? This person is likely coaching for another school now so they would be restricted regardless.

What is the rush at this point? He needs to get this right. If I were in Archie shoes, I'd wait for the perfect fit

I’ve heard he doesn’t always use all of his assistant coach openings, might just leave this one open

Can you explain how that would work/make any sense? How would a person go about recruiting a kid to IU when they don’t work there? This person is likely coaching for another school now so they would be restricted regardless.

We did this under Sampson I think. It is a definitely a grey area and I don’t know all the details but if remembering correctly the yet to be announced coach can tell recruits he will be on staff and can have contact with kids while others cannot.

So the next few weeks while kids have finished summer play and have a break from tons of coaches contacting them, a guy like say Calbert (just to throw a name out there) can go over to the Landers house and talk up IU.

59 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

If they are an AAU or NBA assistant then they wouldn’t be restricted. 

We did this under Sampson I think. It is a definitely a grey area and I don’t know all the details but if remembering correctly the yet to be announced coach can tell recruits he will be on staff and can have contact with kids while others cannot.

So the next few weeks while kids have finished summer play and have a break from tons of coaches contacting them, a guy like say Calbert (just to throw a name out there) can go over to the Landers house and talk up IU.

I thought it was Crean with Kenny.

The coach receives the verbal offer from Archie. Said coach goes and recruits. Contract is signed after dead period making it “official”.

Technically yes and it’s possible and possible to gain a small advantage perhaps but more odd and awkward than anything.

I imagine a guy, likely already employed somewhere else, traveling around to tournaments and kids homes on his own dime, saying, hey, I might still be employed by UCLA, the Milwaukee Bucks, Park Tudor high school, BUT, I am going to be employed by Indiana university soon and I would like to talk with you about that. It just doesn’t seem worth the ridiculousness

Technically yes and it’s possible and possible to gain a small advantage perhaps but more odd and awkward than anything.

I imagine a guy, likely already employed somewhere else, traveling around to tournaments and kids homes on his own dime, saying, hey, I might still be employed by UCLA, the Milwaukee Bucks, Park Tudor high school, BUT, I am going to be employed by Indiana university soon and I would like to talk with you about that. It just doesn’t seem worth the ridiculousness

The problem with this scenario is that assistant will have a hard time getting work again. Roshown McCleod hasn’t had a job in the NCAA after his Kyrie Irving situation. Not exactly the same but when you turn on the program you are working for, the fraternity of coaches won’t stand for that because they can’t trust you. That’s why a lot of programs go towards AAU coaches. I assume we will go that route.

1 hour ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I really believe that Archie just lacks a real sense of urgency. You see it in recruiting. I saw it during the long losing streak last year. He’s taking a ridiculous amount of time to find an Assistant Coach. I know that I’m going to get tomatoed for this, but I really think this guy coaches IU like he has a 15 year guarantee. He’s just not in a hurry.

Look at the sense of urgency from Tom Allen. Tireless worker. Tireless recruiter. Always selling the program. Makes Coordinator changes. Makes his coaching moves quickly.

And this is a guy with a whole lot less pressure on him.

Can you elaborate? Other than the assistant coaching search, he's stuck to his recruiting strategy. We seem to be plenty active on the recruiting trail.

It seems like you're faulting him for not panicking. Schilling left during an important recruiting time, and now we're in a recruiting quiet period. Seems like the logical thing to do would be to focus on recruiting and then shift focus to the assistant coach opening. 

Before anyone has to say it, that post was as bad as my Grigson/Ballard post. FK, we will do better tomorrow. I promise. Next week or two we will have an assistant coach.