Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

16 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly I am guessing he got forced out. As a coach quitting right at the end of June is a bad move. There are no jobs open. Plus it’s crazy timing from a recruiting standpoint. Wonder if we have another Kyrie Irving moment honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s an equally odd time to fire somebody. Unless he did something very bad. Can’t just be lackluster results. 

With Brooks possibly? Something strange with this Van Eyl recruitment? Man, crazy night of news. This is completely out of left field.

Has Ed been out recruiting this Spring and Summer?

He really hasn’t been mentioned much. Usually Bruiser it seems.

Schilling's one job this year was to land Keion Brooks, the son of a player Schiller coached. His failure to do that along with not really contributing meaningfully in any other way cost him his job. Archie recognizes that he needs a better staff and that's a good thing.

Schilling's one job this year was to land Keion Brooks, the son of a player Schiller coached. His failure to do that along with not really contributing meaningfully in any other way cost him his job. Archie recognizes that he needs a better staff and that's a good thing.

First part is true. Second part is guesswork.

If so, why now and not before spring evaluations, recruiting, and offers?

I'm on record when Schilling was hired that I was not a fan for reasons that now run back 20 years.  Frankly, it wouldn't at all surprise me if the reason for his departure wasn't independent of his duties/responsibilities as a member of the coaching staff.  

Having said that, is this Van Zyl fiasco involved and secondly, do we know which recruits Schilling has been the primary contact?

25 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm on record when Schilling was hired that I was not a fan for reasons that now run back 20 years.  Frankly, it wouldn't at all surprise me if the reason for his departure wasn't independent of his duties/responsibilities as a member of the coaching staff.  

Having said that, is this Van Zyl fiasco involved and secondly, do we know which recruits Schilling has been the primary contact?

I think I'm way behind. What is the Van Zyl fiasco? I know he's a '19 kid we just offered and is playing overseas, but I don't really know anything else about him.

2 minutes ago, CottageGrove said:

I think I'm way behind. What is the Van Zyl fiasco? I know he's a '19 kid we just offered and is playing overseas, but I don't really know anything else about him.

The kid said he got a scholarship offer, Schilling liked it on twitter and then it was reported that he didn't get an offer. 

This one hurts for me but not surprising. He didn't bring in any recruits, he was enjoying being an assistant a little too much from what I was told. I believe Ed knew this was going to happen. It will be interesting to see which way this goes when we hire a new coach. 

Was he not well liked by the players?

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I guess i’m still trying to figure out how it would be addition through subtraction

It’s possible for an assistant coach to be pretty much useless (recruiting, strategy, etc.) and still be very much liked by the players. I’ve seen it a handful of times, but I’m just reading tea leaves and guessing here. 

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Ed Schilling may have ties to the state, but they're waning the further away he gets from his camps, and I have not been sold on ANY of the assistant coaches from a basketball standpoint.   Can he take Bruiser with him?  Surely an IU guy can stand with his hands in his pockets and look away from the huddle.

I'm with you on Flint.  Hated that one from the beginning.

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It’s possible for an assistant coach to be pretty much useless (recruiting, strategy, etc.) and still be very much liked by the players. I’ve seen it a handful of times, but I’m just reading tea leaves and guessing here. 

I believe you are on the right track. Reading tea leaves could be lucrative in your future.