Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

If the fanbase needs RMKs support for hiring an assistant coach then that is a huge issue with our fanbase. 
Even before he left IU the game had passed him by. 

Not saying the fanbase NEEDS his support, I’m merely saying that it can’t be a bad thing if his support is gained. Two different things. But I would say that there is a certain faction of the fanbase that won’t support anything unless it’s got RMK’s stamp of approval. I am not one of those people, but they certainly are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

42 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Does anyone think there’s a chance that CAM reached out at all to RMK about this hire? I know it’s CAM’s decision solely but surely he has to know that getting some RMK support could really only help his cause. With the purported softening of RMK’s Ill will toward the university coupled with his recent move back to B-Town, is this at least a possibility in your eyes? I know RMK has publicly supported CAM in the past and this may be a way of helping him out if he truly believes in him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Congratulations Mike Roberts, and Archie needs to spend as much time allowed with the General. I believe both parties have an opportunity to right wrongs before it’s too late. Knight has already been on campus so hope to get him back to Assembly Hall soon.

For all you naysayers, Roberts has been officially blessed by that legend in his own mind...........   This in response to the question - Do you like Mike Roberts?

Dan Dakich @dandakich

Yeah! Don’t know him well but I have always liked him and at least there’s someone on staff that has an understanding of what #iubb could be..he won’t bow down to players like last years coaches literally did

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

For all you naysayers, Roberts has been officially blessed by that legend in his own mind...........   This in response to the question - Do you like Mike Roberts?

Dan Dakich @dandakich

Yeah! Don’t know him well but I have always liked him and at least there’s someone on staff that has an understanding of what #iubb could be..he won’t bow down to players like last years coaches literally did

What an @$$.He just can't help himself.

1 hour ago, Woodson1980 said:

What an @$$.He just can't help himself.

He's right.  I really don't get the hatred for Dakich.  I just don't.  He's got a far greater insight to the program than any of us by 50x, he does love the school and the program despite the narrative otherwise.  He's not bitter he wasn't hired long term; and he's right.  Schilling, Ostrom, and Flint ALL cowered to players.

I really don't understand the negative opinions of Dakich.  If you don't like the way he says things, I say grow a pair.  And if you believe the false narratives about him, I say do your own digging and stop listening to people who don't know what they're talking about in this case.  

Dakich has a unique perspective on the program none of us has.  He has so much inside information it would make your collective heads spin.  I know the guy, and all he wants is for Indiana to win and do so with people who understand what this program is.  It's so easy to just believe the people who say "he's nothing but an ungrateful blowhard because he's bitter he wasn't hired."   That is absolutely, 100% not the case.  I absolutely agree with him that Indiana's winning culture was built by a coach and his players over 29 seasons, and Indiana ran away from that.  20 years later, we're all still searching; and his answer is the same as mine.   "Go back to what built that culture.  Indiana is a unique place, and it's time to treat it as such."   

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He's right.  I really don't get the hatred for Dakich.  I just don't.  He's got a far greater insight to the program than any of us by 50x, he does love the school and the program despite the narrative otherwise.  He's not bitter he wasn't hired long term; and he's right.  Schilling, Ostrom, and Flint ALL cowered to players.

I really don't understand the negative opinions of Dakich.  If you don't like the way he says things, I say grow a pair.  And if you believe the false narratives about him, I say do your own digging and stop listening to people who don't know what they're talking about in this case.  

Dakich has a unique perspective on the program none of us has.  He has so much inside information it would make your collective heads spin.  I know the guy, and all he wants is for Indiana to win and do so with people who understand what this program is.  It's so easy to just believe the people who say "he's nothing but an ungrateful blowhard because he's bitter he wasn't hired."   That is absolutely, 100% not the case.  I absolutely agree with him that Indiana's winning culture was built by a coach and his players over 29 seasons, and Indiana ran away from that.  20 years later, we're all still searching; and his answer is the same as mine.   "Go back to what built that culture.  Indiana is a unique place, and it's time to treat it as such."   

How do you know they cowered to players? The practices I was at I never saw that. I also never saw Dan at practice, now i did see him at a walk-thru but not at practice. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

How do you know they cowered to players? The practices I was at I never saw that. I also never saw Dan at practice, now i did see him at a walk-thru but not at practice. 

Send me a PM and I'll tell you exactly why I feel that way.  Not for public discussion.  

22 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Send me a PM and I'll tell you exactly why I feel that way.  Not for public discussion.  

I think this is part of the problem. Dan will say negative stuff, but not tell you why. So without the info, the insight has little value. DD wants to play it both ways.  I appreciated his honesty about Knight. 

2 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I don't care about DD 1 little bit, I don't hate him but I don't like him either... I believe he loves IU deep inside, but will do everything in his power from his pulpit to degrade IU and hurt IU because he is disgruntled like a jilted lover. He may love the program and want nothing more than for it to get back to the winning culture etc but nobody would ever surmise that from the way he acts and speaks.

Your narrative is that he is such a great guy, a great person, a great IU ambassador and every chance you get you try to convince the world (or at least the BTB world) of this.... but when somebody questions you then no details can be given.

Many people have had many interactions with him that have soured them and they are not afraid to talk about it. There have been entire threads and many others derailed by conversation of DD and if he is a good person or not.

I just find it amusing that you get so irritated of people having a negative opinion of him through either their own experiences or what they heard or read, but you want everybody to have this grand opinion of how great he is because you say so. Everybody can see he is overly anti-IU (even if that isn't how he feels deep inside), but you say he isn't and we should all just believe you. Many people say he is upset because he didn't get a long term job, or because Alford didn't... but we shouldn't believe any of that because you say constantly how great a person he is....

What details do you want?  I'm not irritated at all.  I'm just saying the narrative's wrong, and it is.  He isn't "anti IU."    He is "anti how IU has done things" and I think he's right.   You're painting with a  broad brush and making claims that aren't accurate.  

He IS a good person.  Take a peek at what he's done just this month with his bikes for kids campaign.  I'm not asking anyone to believe me based on just saying so, but you all have the ability to find information on your own, so do it.  Or...bow to the narrative and run with it.  Your call.

What details do you want?  That I agree with him on his stance that the athlete code of conduct was and is an awful idea?  That he believes as I do that like him or not, Knight built the culture we all know and want back at Indiana, but have run away from those players?   That the board of trustees is a bunch of clowns and yes men/women?    I agree with all of that.  Doesn't mean I hate IU.  It means I love IU.  What details do you want?

19 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He IS a good person.  Take a peek at what he's done just this month with his bikes for kids campaign.  I'm not asking anyone to believe me based on just saying so, but you all have the ability to find information on your own, so do it.  Or...bow to the narrative and run with it.  Your call.

I know he does a lot of stuff like this and is actively involved with amazing philanthropic organizations (my wife is on the Little Wish committee and he did a lot for them), and he should be commended for those efforts and his generosity in those areas. 

That doesn't ignore that fact that he is still extremely rude to people that he disagrees with and is confrontational just for the sake of it. He also has a great habit to lump large groups of people into a single narrative that fits his way of thinking (which is also common in the political world). You can do all the nice things in the world for a very sympathetic population (which again, should be commended), but you can't expect people to like you or think you are a good person if you are rude to them and act that way.

For the record, I listened to DD everyday from college through most of law school. For me, within the past three or four years he has went from a guy that reminded me of sitting with my dad at a bar talking about sports (dad's also from Gary) to a typical shock jock radio guy. If that is your style, cool I guess, but you can't be surprised when it may turn some people off. 

2 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I know he does a lot of stuff like this and is actively involved with amazing philanthropic organizations (my wife is on the Little Wish committee and he did a lot for them), and he should be commended for those efforts and his generosity in those areas. 

That doesn't ignore that fact that he is still extremely rude to people that he disagrees with and is confrontational just for the sake of it. He also has a great habit to lump large groups of people into a single narrative that fits his way of thinking (which is also common in the political world). You can do all the nice things in the world for a very sympathetic population (which again, should be commended), but you can't expect people to like you or think you are a good person if you are rude to them and act that way.

For the record, I listened to DD everyday from college through most of law school. For me, within the past three or four years he has went from a guy that reminded me of sitting with my dad at a bar talking about sports (dad's also from Gary) to a typical shock jock radio guy. If that is your style, cool I guess, but you can't be surprised when it may turn some people off. 

I agree 3 or 4 years ago I called him out on a couple of things he said one week, then the opposite the next week and he blocked me on twitter. He had great ratings and I think it went to his head. TV Dan is like, radio Dan not so much

2 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Which name is more likely to derail a thread more quickly and absolutely: Dan Dakich or Luke Brown?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

One is a has-been, the other is a never will be. I'm just joking, I have never see Luke play