Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

Look, you can be a complete ******* and be charitable and caring in some aspects of life.

Whatever he does at Riley is great! There are so many other people in the world who do these things without being a complete jerk. He acts like he’s above everyone and is the only one who knows right from wrong.

He’s not for me. I’m assuming you’re friends with him because you really do seem to have a personal investment in him with how you defend him. Nothing wrong with that - we all have that friend who everyone else thinks is a jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
You have have a friend everyone else hates? Trying to think of mine lol. O crap maybe I am him

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Osterman -Indpls. Star

Archie Miller will fill his open assistant coaching position by bringing a former Hoosier back to IU.

Mike Roberts, a walk-on on Indiana's 2002 national runner-up team and later served as team captain and then spent a year as a graduate assistant under Bob Knight at Texas Tech, has been named to the position left vacant by Ed Schilling’s departure earlier this summer. Roberts is Miller’s first assistant coaching hire at IU who was not part of Miller’s original three-man staff in Bloomington.

Evan Daniels of 247Sports had the initial report. An IU spokesman would not confirm the report. 

Roberts did not immediately respond to a message from IndyStar.

A Terre Haute native, Roberts spent the past eight seasons serving on Wes Miller’s staff at UNC Greensboro. Wes Miller has turned the Spartans into a mid-major power, winning 81 games over the past three seasons and appearing in four straight postseason tournaments. UNCG played in the 2018 NCAA tournament and last year captured the No. 1 overall seed in the NIT.

Roberts’ UNCG biography cites his role in developing multiple NBA draft picks during his career, including Ryan Anderson, Devon Hardin and Arsalan Kazemi.

Roberts also has stops at Rice, Cal and Texas Tech, where he was a grad assistant under Knight.

At Indiana, Roberts was a three-time academic All-Big Ten selection, and earned a Big Ten sportsmanship award in 2005, the same year in which he served as a team captain.

I would've reached out to other candidates before him, but this makes me think there could be more pros than cons.

I like Dan Dakich and I feel his pain as a diehard Indiana fan. It’s been painful and the administration frustratingly fubars every opportunity it gets.

Welcome Mike Roberts. Awesome gig for him. I like that he’s a good guy and I like that he is smart. Hopefully he has the charisma of a Dane Fife.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

YES!!!!!   I can get completely on.board with that.
He is old. Of course he is a partial d cause he can. He has earned the right. He has played and coached for iu he can say what he wants. People can criticize that is fair also. Some hate knight and some idolize same thing. If not for knight dakich and iu are both nobody imo. 2 championship would be all imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Every program, in my opinion, needs a culture guy. Football, basketball, baseball, I don’t care. The guy that gets what it takes but might not have been the star or most athletic when he played.

I remember watching Roberts play. Role player only but I could tell he got “it”. Hustle, discipline, not flashy, understood his role. Admittedly, I haven’t followed his career one bit since his IU playing days, but I suspect he coaches the way he played and gets “it”.

I know I’m using some vague terminology but sometimes it difficult to define “culture” or “it”. But in my experience most of the culture guys were the ones good at Xs and Os and positioning.

Long story short, I like the hire. Culture and glue type guy. I’m anxious to see how he helps us improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, for one, really like this hire.  The stud player usually doesn't make a very good coach.  It's the smart guy, without God given physical ability, at the end of the bench that busted his @$$ everyday and soaked up all the BB IQ that he could!

I just posted a long-winded reply trying to explain this. I like your explanation better!

Every program, in my opinion, needs a culture guy. Football, basketball, baseball, I don’t care. The guy that gets what it takes but might not have been the star or most athletic when he played.

I remember watching Roberts play. Role player only but I could tell he got “it”. Hustle, discipline, not flashy, understood his role. Admittedly, I haven’t followed his career one bit since his IU playing days, but I suspect he coaches the way he played and gets “it”.

I know I’m using some vague terminology but sometimes it difficult to define “culture” or “it”. But in my experience most of the culture guys were the ones good at Xs and Os and positioning.

Long story short, I like the hire. Culture and glue type guy. I’m anxious to see how he helps us improve.

I posted this yesterday but it supports the idea

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2014/11/roberts-still-passionate-about-basketball-iu/amp/

Roberts seems like the guy who can help sell kids on how great IU and Bloomington are.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It seems like the idea of Archie trying to build the culture after something’s happening last season ring true with the recruitments of Galloway (really likes what his dad had to say), Leal, and now Roberts.

If we can compete the next few seasons to build the culture and then add the likes of Lander, Furst, and Kaufman we could see an extended period of success at IU that has been missing for a hot minute.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

14 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I know Mike personally he worked for me at IU for two summers. Awesome dude. The nicest guy still comes to say Hi when he is in town. Quick story, one summer Tim Garl brought me Mike Roberts, Ryan Tapac, Mark Johnson, Rod Wilmont, AJ Ratliff and Robert Vaden who all needed summer jobs at IU. The job was 8-4:30 Monday-Friday. We couldn't fire these guys. Mike was there every day for the whole summer, never missed a day, an hour, nothing. Was always so nice, spoke to everyone, got along with everyone, and was a hard worker. Pretty much the same with Tapac, Johnson and Wilmont. Now Vaden and Ratliff was a different story, they usually rolled in around 10 or 11 and left for the day by 2 or 3. Then they were always upset that their pay wasn't that much. Anyway, I have the utmost respect for Mike Roberts. 

And so after that summer, you suggested to Vaden that it would be best if he transferred???