Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

2 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I don't care about DD 1 little bit, I don't hate him but I don't like him either... I believe he loves IU deep inside, but will do everything in his power from his pulpit to degrade IU and hurt IU because he is disgruntled like a jilted lover. He may love the program and want nothing more than for it to get back to the winning culture etc but nobody would ever surmise that from the way he acts and speaks.

Your narrative is that he is such a great guy, a great person, a great IU ambassador and every chance you get you try to convince the world (or at least the BTB world) of this.... but when somebody questions you then no details can be given.

Many people have had many interactions with him that have soured them and they are not afraid to talk about it. There have been entire threads and many others derailed by conversation of DD and if he is a good person or not.

I just find it amusing that you get so irritated of people having a negative opinion of him through either their own experiences or what they heard or read, but you want everybody to have this grand opinion of how great he is because you say so. Everybody can see he is overly anti-IU (even if that isn't how he feels deep inside), but you say he isn't and we should all just believe you. Many people say he is upset because he didn't get a long term job, or because Alford didn't... but we shouldn't believe any of that because you say constantly how great a person he is....

What details do you want?  I'm not irritated at all.  I'm just saying the narrative's wrong, and it is.  He isn't "anti IU."    He is "anti how IU has done things" and I think he's right.   You're painting with a  broad brush and making claims that aren't accurate.  

He IS a good person.  Take a peek at what he's done just this month with his bikes for kids campaign.  I'm not asking anyone to believe me based on just saying so, but you all have the ability to find information on your own, so do it.  Or...bow to the narrative and run with it.  Your call.

What details do you want?  That I agree with him on his stance that the athlete code of conduct was and is an awful idea?  That he believes as I do that like him or not, Knight built the culture we all know and want back at Indiana, but have run away from those players?   That the board of trustees is a bunch of clowns and yes men/women?    I agree with all of that.  Doesn't mean I hate IU.  It means I love IU.  What details do you want?

19 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He IS a good person.  Take a peek at what he's done just this month with his bikes for kids campaign.  I'm not asking anyone to believe me based on just saying so, but you all have the ability to find information on your own, so do it.  Or...bow to the narrative and run with it.  Your call.

I know he does a lot of stuff like this and is actively involved with amazing philanthropic organizations (my wife is on the Little Wish committee and he did a lot for them), and he should be commended for those efforts and his generosity in those areas. 

That doesn't ignore that fact that he is still extremely rude to people that he disagrees with and is confrontational just for the sake of it. He also has a great habit to lump large groups of people into a single narrative that fits his way of thinking (which is also common in the political world). You can do all the nice things in the world for a very sympathetic population (which again, should be commended), but you can't expect people to like you or think you are a good person if you are rude to them and act that way.

For the record, I listened to DD everyday from college through most of law school. For me, within the past three or four years he has went from a guy that reminded me of sitting with my dad at a bar talking about sports (dad's also from Gary) to a typical shock jock radio guy. If that is your style, cool I guess, but you can't be surprised when it may turn some people off. 

2 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I know he does a lot of stuff like this and is actively involved with amazing philanthropic organizations (my wife is on the Little Wish committee and he did a lot for them), and he should be commended for those efforts and his generosity in those areas. 

That doesn't ignore that fact that he is still extremely rude to people that he disagrees with and is confrontational just for the sake of it. He also has a great habit to lump large groups of people into a single narrative that fits his way of thinking (which is also common in the political world). You can do all the nice things in the world for a very sympathetic population (which again, should be commended), but you can't expect people to like you or think you are a good person if you are rude to them and act that way.

For the record, I listened to DD everyday from college through most of law school. For me, within the past three or four years he has went from a guy that reminded me of sitting with my dad at a bar talking about sports (dad's also from Gary) to a typical shock jock radio guy. If that is your style, cool I guess, but you can't be surprised when it may turn some people off. 

I agree 3 or 4 years ago I called him out on a couple of things he said one week, then the opposite the next week and he blocked me on twitter. He had great ratings and I think it went to his head. TV Dan is like, radio Dan not so much

40 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

A lot of that is radio schtick.  He's a very different person on the golf course or in public.

He did a ton for Tyler Trent.  Always doing things for kids at Riley.  I haven't seen the confrontational guy in public.   I guess my overall point is don't judge a radio personality and apply it to mean "that's who he is."   Not at all true.  For many radio guys, I'd imagine.  One of the biggest jerks I ever met in person was a beloved radio host in Indianapolis, so it goes both ways.

44 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

By most. It will be panned by a few on here

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, pretty sure if Brad freaking Stevens took the job and announced it by calling Miller a coaching wizard whom he could only aspire to emulate that someone would say, “but he didn’t win a title with the Celtics. Underwhelming hire”

Osterman -Indpls. Star

Archie Miller will fill his open assistant coaching position by bringing a former Hoosier back to IU.

Mike Roberts, a walk-on on Indiana's 2002 national runner-up team and later served as team captain and then spent a year as a graduate assistant under Bob Knight at Texas Tech, has been named to the position left vacant by Ed Schilling’s departure earlier this summer. Roberts is Miller’s first assistant coaching hire at IU who was not part of Miller’s original three-man staff in Bloomington.

Evan Daniels of 247Sports had the initial report. An IU spokesman would not confirm the report. 

Roberts did not immediately respond to a message from IndyStar.

A Terre Haute native, Roberts spent the past eight seasons serving on Wes Miller’s staff at UNC Greensboro. Wes Miller has turned the Spartans into a mid-major power, winning 81 games over the past three seasons and appearing in four straight postseason tournaments. UNCG played in the 2018 NCAA tournament and last year captured the No. 1 overall seed in the NIT.

Roberts’ UNCG biography cites his role in developing multiple NBA draft picks during his career, including Ryan Anderson, Devon Hardin and Arsalan Kazemi.

Roberts also has stops at Rice, Cal and Texas Tech, where he was a grad assistant under Knight.

At Indiana, Roberts was a three-time academic All-Big Ten selection, and earned a Big Ten sportsmanship award in 2005, the same year in which he served as a team captain.

A lot of that is radio schtick.  He's a very different person on the golf course or in public.

He did a ton for Tyler Trent.  Always doing things for kids at Riley.  I haven't seen the confrontational guy in public.   I guess my overall point is don't judge a radio personality and apply it to mean "that's who he is."   Not at all true.  For many radio guys, I'd imagine.  One of the biggest jerks I ever met in person was a beloved radio host in Indianapolis, so it goes both ways.

Look, you can be a complete ******* and be charitable and caring in some aspects of life.

Whatever he does at Riley is great! There are so many other people in the world who do these things without being a complete jerk. He acts like he’s above everyone and is the only one who knows right from wrong.

He’s not for me. I’m assuming you’re friends with him because you really do seem to have a personal investment in him with how you defend him. Nothing wrong with that - we all have that friend who everyone else thinks is a jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Look, you can be a complete ******* and be charitable and caring in some aspects of life.

Whatever he does at Riley is great! There are so many other people in the world who do these things without being a complete jerk. He acts like he’s above everyone and is the only one who knows right from wrong.

He’s not for me. I’m assuming you’re friends with him because you really do seem to have a personal investment in him with how you defend him. Nothing wrong with that - we all have that friend who everyone else thinks is a jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Good.  He's not for you.  But he's also not a complete dick.  His day job is to get ratings.  Like Rush Limbaugh, he says outrageous things so people will call and get all amped up one way or the other.  I doubt he believes much of the outrageous stuff he says.  You can make a judgement off his radio personality if you want to, but I know him.  And I know his friends.  A complete dick he is not.

15 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Good.  He's not for you.  But he's also not a complete dick.  His day job is to get ratings.  Like Rush Limbaugh, he says outrageous things so people will call and get all amped up one way or the other.  I doubt he believes much of the outrageous stuff he says.  You can make a judgement off his radio personality if you want to, but I know him.  And I know his friends.  A complete dick he is not.

So he’s a ‘partial dick’?

;)