Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

58 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

First one then the other. Unless something happens to change it. 

^ Man that’s some quality info I should be charging for that.  

Used to call that the "Dick Vitale" quote.  You used words, but as Bob Knight would have said "you didn't say a G*d d*mned thing."     I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

2 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. In basketball it is about players more than scheme. The recruits Archie is bringing are not immediate impact players. Do you want to wait until 2022-2023 to see Galloway and leal become key players?

Pretty bold claim 

Yeah the theory above is actually the opposite of the understood reality - college is far more dependent on coaches and schemes than players unlike the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IDK. Why do the winningest, “best” coaches pay top dollar for top players?

The bigger debate to me is, does young top end talent beat old 2nd level talent? I guess the evidence indicates it’s very competitive which is why we are seeing the results we are.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

Kentucky and Duke are winning 30 games a year. GENERALLY TRUE

A single elimination tournament is a crap shoot. NOT REALLY.

How close was Virginia to losing multiple times in the last tournament? YOU MEAN THOSE GAMES THEY WON?

And Villanova had several highly ranked recruits on its national championship teams. NOT ONE AND DONES LIKE DUKE AND UK.

It's an interesting theory that Jay Wright and Tony Bennett are positioned as coaches that win with under recruited players and win without high end talent. While it's absolutely true that Villanova and Virginia won titles without one and done players, both rosters had plenty of top 50/100 ranked kids. 
For Nova, of the 8 guys that played double-digit minutes for their 2018 team 5 were top 100 recruits and 6 were top 125. Brunson and Spellman were ranked in the 20's, with Brunson being a McDonald's All-American, and then they got lucky that DiVincenzo (ranked 124) hit like an Oladipo (to a lesser extent). 
For Virginia, Diakite was ranked #32, Guy was #37 (McDonald's AA), Jerome was #44 and Deandre Hunter was #91. The core of that team was mostly top 50 guys and then again Hunter turned out way better than even his top 100 position. 
I really think the key to winning, especially when you're not going to compete with UK, Duke and Kansas consistently on the recruiting trail, is to build around as many of these top 20-70 guys as possible that stay 2-3 years, and then surround them with your Phinisee's, Franklin's, Leal's, Galloway's and Brunk's. 

I certainly think it’s Indiana’s best option. In general I’d take old talent over freshman talent.

Mostly talent that is trying to win vs the quickest route out. Kyle Guy is a nice example. He did his work on the court and when he did it well enough the NBA noticed and he left.

I would rather players put both feet in the door versus always having 1 out the door, no matter if that player is a OAD or else.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I certainly think it’s Indiana’s best option. In general I’d take old talent over freshman talent.

Mostly talent that is trying to win vs the quickest route out. Kyle Guy is a nice example. He did his work on the court and when he did it well enough the NBA noticed and he left.

I would rather players put both feet in the door versus always having 1 out the door, no matter if that player is a OAD or else.

Absolutely agree. If Archie can bring in a consistent pipeline of the TJD's and Jerome Hunter types, both being top 50ish guys with eventual NBA talent but also guys you expect to stay 2-3 years, and then surround them with guys like Phinisee, Franklin, Brunk, Leal, Galloway, etc., etc., then he's going to build something really nice at IU. 

But, you do need that consistent pipeline of the top 50 guys. Virginia basically won a National Championship by getting 4 guys (Diakite, Guy, Jerome and Hunter) in back-to-back classes and they all stayed 3 years.