Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

On 8/6/2019 at 7:45 PM, monskisprodigy said:

A name I haven’t seen thrown around (if it has I apologize) is AJ Moye. He’s a director of skill development, trainer at Mamba Sports Academy working with Kobe and a Head coach at Oak Park High School per his instagram. If we were going the non D1 route, this could be an interesting hire. Always loved his toughness, and he seems to bleed Cream and Crimson.

Anyone know any more about his coaching history? Has he been involved in the AAU circuit at all?

Was always a big fan of AJ and have followed him more closely the past year or so. Very accomplished and I definitely hope he re-unites with us at some point but it doesn't look like that time has come quite yet.

As I understand it, the ncaa quiet period doesn’t end until early September. Without publicly naming our assistant, Archie’s guy can unofficially be in our recruits ears about IU.

This is IU playing in the grey area that is necessary to succeed today. We’ll see if it pays off

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The only problem with that is, most likely this coach is still employed by another school, so they don't want him out recruiting for IU. 

That and as the Colts found out until he signs the contract he can leave you empty handed.

Also at some point it's not too cool to wait so close to the beginning of the season to tell your current employer.

I cannot imagine why we would drag this out. Cannot be good for us, the coach nor the school he is leaving.

He faster he gets in, learns the nuances of the school, the staff, the team, our recruits and our system the more impactful he will be

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

In my speculative, educated but uninformed opinion, Lance Irvin might be a good fit for more than a few reasons.

• Compelling life story
  • Chicago basketball royalty
  • Mac Irvin/recruiting-ultra connected
  • As head coach of Chicago State, making much less than an assistant at IU would
  • DI assistant coach experience
  • Knows Archie - got a play-n game from us last year

Maybe I'm getting overly antsy about this, but it sure does seem to me we should've known something about this by now. School opens in a week and a half and the dead period ends soon after. It's hard to imagine a school that considers itself a blueblood going this long without a top assistant for its basketball program -- especially this late in the game. ... I mean -- the Schilling decision was announced in late June. 

Maybe I'm getting overly antsy about this, but it sure does seem to me we should've known something about this by now. School opens in a week and a half and the dead period ends soon after. It's hard to imagine a school that considers itself a blueblood going this long without a top assistant for its basketball program -- especially this late in the game. ... I mean -- the Schilling decision was announced in late June. 

Ostrom is the top assistant for the IU program. There will be an assistant named within a week or two I would assume. Don’t forget things took a while when Archie hired assistant’s the first time too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

20 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Ostrom is the top assistant for the IU program. There will be an assistant named within a week or two I would assume. Don’t forget things took a while when Archie hired assistant’s the first time too.

I never said Ostrom wasn't the top assistant. ... I said "a top assistant." ... And when Archie was hired, he had his staff in place by mid-April. 

I never said Ostrom wasn't the top assistant. ... I said "a top assistant." ... And when Archie was hired, he had his staff in place by mid-April. 

Fair enough. There could be a number of reasons as to why there hasn’t been a hire yet. But I’d expect something within a week or two like I believe Chris suggested.