Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Ed Schilling Leaving, Mike Roberts Arriving

20 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Apparently Archie has talked to Jim Shannon in recent days about the position.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You mean pushing 60 years old Jim Shannon?  That would.....surprise me.

24 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Why this obsession with a former IU player? Many are not qualified to do what some of you want. If you want recruiting, who has the pedigree of all the former IU players mentioned to bring in top 50 guys? Many kids nowadays will point to Romeo over guys like Guyton, Jeffries, etc. as former IU players they know. If you say they know the state, that may be true, but we’ve had zero issue recruiting our own state. As far as player development, which former IU player has any sort of pedigree developing players and getting the maximum out of them? 

I think some IU fans have this disillusioned belief that former IU players coming back will somehow magically turn our program around, even when they don’t have the pedigree. Give me a guy that has out of state connections that is an ace recruiter, or someone that has a history of developing players. We don’t need a former IU player and it’s likely we will not go that route. 

Guyton is absolutely qualified to be an assistant coach at IU.

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

How so?

He won championships as a semi-pro coach.  He was director of player development at Northwestern and is currently an assistant at Loyola Maryland.  I'd happily take that as an assistant.

27 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

He won championships as a semi-pro coach.  He was director of player development at Northwestern and is currently an assistant at Loyola Maryland.  I'd happily take that as an assistant.

Meh semi-pro and player development at Northwestern aren’t great. Northwestern took a huge step back last year. Assistant at Loyola is fine and all but there are much more qualified personnel out there. Take away the fact that he played at IU and look at his resume. You still want him here?

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

I wouldn't mind either of these, but Moye is already working with players on skills development. The guy absolutely loves IU too. Seems like he would be a great fit.

You know my thoughts! LOL!

10 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Meh semi-pro and player development at Northwestern aren’t great. Northwestern took a huge step back last year. Assistant at Loyola is fine and all but there are much more qualified personnel out there. Take away the fact that he played at IU and look at his resume. You still want him here?

The fact he played at IU is an absolute plus.  Frankly we've turned away from IU guys long enough and it hasn't gone well; sure can't hurt to get an IU guy involved as an assistant.

EDIT:  After looking I wouldn't want Jeffries so it's not like being an IU player was the deciding factor.

Apparently Archie has talked to Jim Shannon in recent days about the position.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

By talk to him do you mean for input? Or to hire? I would definitely reach out for his recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This new coach has to be able to recruit. That is the lifeblood of a program. There are no “IU guys” other than Fife who have experience successfully recruiting elite level talent. Just get the best candidate available.
We agree on something! Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Demo said:

You mean pushing 60 years old Jim Shannon?  That would.....surprise me.

Shannon has won over 600 games as HC. Known to be excellent X&O guy. Well respected throughout the coaching fraternity. Well liked by players. Why not? Recruiting questions outside of Indiana but no doors closed in-state.

8 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Shannon has won over 600 games as HC. Known to be excellent X&O guy. Well respected throughout the coaching fraternity. Well liked by players. Why not? Recruiting questions outside of Indiana but no doors closed in-state.

Not downgrading Shannon as a Coach at in any way. The man’s had a great run and has earned his reputation. I’m sure he could bring some positive benefit. It’s just hard , really hard, for me to see someone at the point he is in his career wanting to take on a collaborative role like that.  If Miller wants him and Shannon wants it, it’s ok with me. The HC is 100% accountable. He should have who he wants. Just seems like an odd fit.

Not sure if he's interested or being considered, but Chris Hawkins has done a nice job at Crispus Attucks (state champ, sectional champ, semi-state in his first 3 years).  He's had a lot of IU ties over the years.  Some of you may remember him as Birdman on other/previous sites.  

4 hours ago, mamasa said:

Not sure if he's interested or being considered, but Chris Hawkins has done a nice job at Crispus Attucks (state champ, sectional champ, semi-state in his first 3 years).  He's had a lot of IU ties over the years.  Some of you may remember him as Birdman on other/previous sites.  

Success in his first three years without his own players?  He wouldn't fit in down in Bloomington :farting_smiley:

11 hours ago, mamasa said:

I'd love that, he'd be a great recruiter for IU.

I just realized today that Ed Schilling was on Calipari's staff at UMass, then to the NBA with the Nets, and then following him to Memphis. I'm sure lots of you here already knew this. Just saying that I hadn't realized it. Another thing that I didn't know was the Schilling decided to leave Memphis in April of 2005 to try to start an academy in Indy. What ever happened to that?

19 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I just realized today that Ed Schilling was on Calipari's staff at UMass, then to the NBA with the Nets, and then following him to Memphis. I'm sure lots of you here already knew this. Just saying that I hadn't realized it. Another thing that I didn't know was the Schilling decided to leave Memphis in April of 2005 to try to start an academy in Indy. What ever happened to that?

I dunno. When did he start at Park Tudor?