Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) SF Trey Patterson

More details on Patterson's 43 point game per the box score.  9 - 2s; 5-3's; 10 Fts; 12 reb; 3 asst; 2 blks; 2 stls.   

Background story on Patterson:    https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2020/01/trey-patterson-becoming-an-elite-star-at-rutgers-prep.html

Averaging 27 points per game, 12.4 rebounds per game and four double-doubles through five games.

21 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

WOW! Who is better Patterson or Mohamed ?

Hope that's just a rhetorical question.  All I could provide is that I suspect Patterson is consistently playing a higher level of competition than is Mohammed based on what Demo told us in Mohammed's thread but as to who is better  --  beats the hell out of me.

Newspaper account of Patterson's 43-point game.

SOMERVILLE - Trey Patterson put high expectations on himself and his team heading into the 2019-20 high school boys basketball season. 

After Rutgers Prep fell short in its quest for a championship last year, the junior guard decided it was time for him to step up. 

"Coming off of last year we kind of fell short, so this year I'm finally taking a bigger leadership role, verbally and by example, so I'm just coming to show the state what we can do and hopefully win some championships at the end of the season," he said after Rutgers Prep defeated Immaculata 92-71 on Thursday night. "I wanted to improve on mainly my ball handling, since I'm playing mostly on the wing. I wanted to get that tightened and always improve my jump shot, making that more consistent. My defense as well, being able to guard multiple positions, guards out on the perimeter and bigs in the paint, so those are some of the things that I focused on."

The hard work and dedication has paid off through the first five games of the season. So far he's averaging a double-double per game, with 27 points and 12.4 rebounds. He's also posted 19 assists, 12 steals and four blocks. Against Immaculata on Thursday night, he scored a career-high 43 points, with 17 points coming in the first quarter alone. 

"I genuinely believe that Trey gets better every single day that he lives," Rutgers Prep coach Matt Bloom said. "He's a worker, his work ethic is second to none. His leadership consistently gets better and today not only did he score but he made the right play every single time. He leads and everyone follows his lead, so when you make the right play with that kind of ability, then it's contagious and everyone plays well."

Despite Patterson leading the way, Immaculata didn't make it easy for Rutgers Prep (5-0). Down 45-34 at the half, the Spartans (4-1) opened the third on a 13-4 run to cut the lead to 49-47 with 4:25 left.   The Spartans managed to tie the game 49-49, but a 7-0 run by the Argonauts but Rutgers Prep back up 56-49 with 1:40 remaining in the quarter. 

"We have to play 32 minutes of our basketball, I think if we kept the defense up and get in transition, get dunks I don't think that would happen," Rutgers Prep's Nico Galette said of Immaculata's comeback. "But those are things we have to work on in practice."

Rutgers Prep opened a 65-52 lead after three, then outscored Immaculata 27-19 in the fourth for the 92-71 final. 

"That's a very good team," Bloom said of Immaculata. "They won 20-something games last year, they have two great senior leaders that played well, the crowd was amazing for this time of year and that's everything you ask for when you come and play in this type of environment. I thought our guys, with defense, put them away and stayed together, which is what good teams do."

Rutgers Prep jumped out to a quick 17-3 with 4:36 remaining in the first quarter, but Immaculata outscored the Argonauts 10-5 in the final 3:20 to cut the lead to 22-14 after one. 

"It was good, it set the tone early in the game," Patterson said of the early lead. "They were coming in with a high intensity atmosphere, it was probably one of their circled games on the schedule, so we had to just come in and handle business."

Patterson recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 43 points, 12 rebounds, three assists, two blocks and two steals. Otega Oweh also posted a double-double with 16 points, 10 rebounds, three steals, two blocks and one assist. Noah Harris chipped in 17 points, seven assists, two rebounds and one steal. 

"Everyone on the offensive end can score because we have so many weapons, so it's kind of hard to hone in on just one player," Patterson said. "We have so many pieces that can just kill you at any certain time, so it's pretty hard to defend."

For Immaculata, Jordan Myers had a double-double with 23 points, 14 rebounds, three assists and three blocks. Jaden Honis also recorded a double-double with 18 points, 10 assists, four rebounds and three steals. Darren Tuck contributed 16 points, five rebounds, three assists, two steals and one block. 

"It's a big win, it's a good team so I think confidence-wise it's good and just for the season, postseason it's great," Galette said. 

With Rutgers Prep seemingly clicking on all cylinders so far this season, the Argonauts are looking to make a lot of noise in Somerset County and the state. 

"Coming in I just wanted us to come in and win as many as we can and just take it day by day," Patterson said. "Just keep getting better every day to be at our highest peak at the end of the season."

"Obviously we have goals, but we want to attack every single day and just get better every day," Bloom said. "If we do that, eventually that day is going to come and we'll be ready for it."

Earlier today Rutgers Prep defeated Ramsey 63-48.  Patterson with 21 pts. and in today's game reached the 1,000 point mark.

NEW INFO

Trey Patterson tallied 21 points, 10 rebounds and four steals, recording his 1,000th career point along the way with a free throw late in the third quarter, as Rutgers Prep, No. 8 in the NJ.com Top 20, defeated Ramsey, 63-48, at Ramapo College.

NEWEST INFO

Patterson had 5 - 2pt.FG; 2 - 3pt. FG; 5 FT; 10 reb; 1 blk; 4 stls.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Added Even More Detail