Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

I get Rabjohn's Crusade Against McRobbie But Please Make Sense

I want to start by saying I mostly agree with Jeff Rabjohn's and McRobbie has some answering to do with why he has lifted money from athletics for the University itself.

However, in a recent interview he cited McRobbie using Big Ten money for the new volleyball and wrestling facility as an example of taking money away from athletics for University purposes. Last I checked Volleyball and Wrestling are part of the athletic department and building the new facility would be the money BEING USED FOR ATHLETICS. He also proceeded to say the old facility was adequate when in reality it was not even close to that and a dump and a big reason why Volleyball and Wrestling are so bad.

Again, I get what Rabjohn's is doing and he is absolutely right to question McRobbie, but if he is going to tout that cause make sure your facts are 100% accurate. More money does need to be used for Football, but taking Big Ten Network money from Football to build a Volleyball facility is NOT an example of athletic money being lifted to the University that could be used for Football.    

I want to start by saying I mostly agree with Jeff Rabjohn's and McRobbie has some answering to do with why he has lifted money from athletics for the University itself.
However, in a recent he cited McRobbie using Big Ten money for the new volleyball and wrestling facility as an example of taking money away from athletics for University purposes. Last I checked Volleyball and Wrestling are part of the athletic department and building the new facility would be the money BEING USED FOR ATHLETICS. He also proceeded to say the old facility was adequate when in reality it was not even close to that and a dump and a big reason why Volleyball and Wrestling are so bad.
Again, I get what Rabjohn's is doing and he is absolutely right to question McRobbie, but if he is going to tout that cause make sure your facts are 100% accurate. More money does need to be used for Football, but taking Big Ten Network money from Football to build a Volleyball facility is NOT an example of athletic money being lifted to the University that could be used for Football.    

Did he say whether or not we were able to start an emergency fund instead of borrowing from the school with interest? That’s what we always did and that is just dumb. We finally have a modern revenue able to compete. I don’t think the athletic office has run in the red since 2005. But it would be nice to have an emergency fund to be able to maintain or grow when needed as opposed to depend on donors for a lot of things.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

34 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Did he say whether or not we were able to start an emergency fund instead of borrowing from the school with interest? That’s what we always did and that is just dumb. We finally have a modern revenue able to compete. I don’t think the athletic office has run in the red since 2005. But it would be nice to have an emergency fund to be able to maintain or grow when needed as opposed to depend on donors for a lot of things.

They didn't get into that.

I definitely get what he is saying and I love Zach. But he said it himself it’s an arms race. We were 9th in overall revenue last I can remember. We get a lot of donations for the academic side. With an Ohio State that has a revenue almost double ours it’s not as hard to give back a little. Almost like a large market team versus a small one. Imo, it’s ok every once in a while, but every year? He listed out random years other teams pay. We do it every year. That’s not a gift, that’s a revenue stream. It’s an arms race. If we are serious about winning we need all resources available to make an impression. I know that won’t be popular but that is how I feel on that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I definitely get what he is saying and I love Zach. But he said it himself it’s an arms race. We were 9th in overall revenue last I can remember. We get a lot of donations for the academic side. With an Ohio State that has a revenue almost double ours it’s not as hard to give back a little. Almost like a large market team versus a small one. Imo, it’s ok every once in a while, but every year? He listed out random years other teams pay. We do it every year. That’s not a gift, that’s a revenue stream. It’s an arms race. If we are serious about winning we need all resources available to make an impression. I know that won’t be popular but that is how I feel on that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm guessing with most things its probably somewhere between Zach's article and Rabjohn's outright crusade against McRobbie which started it all (where he has resorted to 'facts' mentioned above that make no sense). 

I think every team pulls some but IU is pulling the most or at least the most based on what they make which is somewhat what article is saying.

I think a big part of it is McRobbie is from Australia and doesn't completely get college athletics as a result, so I don't really blame him and I am sure is doing what any Australian school would do and what he thinks is best for University. I am not going to go into details but Butler had something similar happen where a president from another country didn't get athletics and resigned as a result after Final Four runs. I think McRobbie doesn't like all the heat and leaves in 2021.

It's something to consider when hiring foreign presidents and fielding big time athletics (I am not saying disqualify them, but make sure they understand US athletic model and how important they are in this country and will fully support that within University mission). 

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

My goodness, that reads like a press release. Are we sure Zach wrote that or did Fred? We spent 26 million of athletic money and the next closest school spent 10. That article didn't help IU's case.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My goodness, that reads like a press release. Are we sure Zach wrote that or did Fred? We spent 26 million of athletic money and the next closest school spent 10. That article didn't help IU's case.

I know Zach and I can guarantee you he is not doing this to carry the Universities bell or help them. I think he is just presenting facts and then everyone can draw their own conclusions. To some it will help IU's case and to some it won't and make them look just as bad like you think. Its up to you to decide.

I will not defend what University is doing and mostly against it, but I will defend Osterman to the death and know for a fact he did this with well researched facts and giving perspective for people to understand.    

See the money part is what I am saying. Zach is a great dude and we have worked with him before. But I don’t think he dove in far enough to understand the frustration. Or he just doesn’t feel it’s a big deal. Me personally I feel as though comparing OSU spending a couple of million on a close to $200 mill revenue versus us spending more on a $125 revenue stream is the issue I have. Our revenue is ninth in the B1G and we give back the most. I agree with Aaron on that we don’t see McRobbie for much longer. Will be curious to see the route we take after. To be clear I don’t want us to go full blown Kentucky either, but I feel there is a better middle ground.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

See the money part is what I am saying. Zach is a great dude and we have worked with him before. But I don’t think he dove in far enough to understand the frustration. Or he just doesn’t feel it’s a big deal. Me personally I feel as though comparing OSU spending a couple of million on a close to $200 mill revenue versus us spending more on a $125 revenue stream is the issue I have. Our budget is ninth in the B1G and we give back the most. I agree with Aaron on that we don’t see McRobbie for much longer. Will be curious to see the route we take after. To be clear I don’t want us to go full blown Kentucky either, but I feel there is a better middle ground.

McRobbie is not leaving till at the earliest 2021. The Bicentennial is his baby and he has been preparing for it for a few years. 

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

McRobbie is not leaving till at the earliest 2021. The Bicentennial is his baby and he has been preparing for it for a few years. 

That's exactly what I meant is that he retires or mutually parts ways in 2021 when contract is up. That's less than 2 yrs away. I didn't mean he was leaving today or before that. 

That's exactly what I meant is that he retires or mutually parts ways in 2021 when contract is up. That's less than 2 yrs away. I didn't mean he was leaving today or before that. 

Yeah I should have said 2021 cause that timeline is where I agreed with you.

4 hours ago, Iugradman said:
The bottom line is no BTN funds should be diverted from athletics when the basketball and football facilities are mediocre and the head football coach is the lowest paid in the Big Ten. Invest fully in football and build a successful program that more than funds the other sports and capital needs of the athletics department. Only then should BTN funds be diverted elsewhere.

IU spent all of this money building new non-revenue athletics facilities while basic needs like modern locker rooms for football and men’s basketball were ignored until very recently. The school’s priorities are out of wack. 

All while our academic ranking continues to decline. So what, exactly, has Mcrobbie helped the school with since he’s been here besides a few buildings? Terrible president, IMO. Any other president with a pulse could do what he’s been doing. I want better for my alma mater.

22 minutes ago, VO5 said:

All while our academic ranking continues to decline. So what, exactly, has Mcrobbie helped the school with since he’s been here besides a few buildings? Terrible president, IMO. Any other president with a pulse could do what he’s been doing. I want better for my alma mater.

McRobbie has done some good things for the University academically. He's also far easier to work with then the previous presidents and a lot of people I know like him for the most part. He's not perfect but cares about the University far more from an academic standpoint (even if rankings don't show it). He is decent compared to the past 2 president's and does some good things.

He just doesn't get athletics being from a foreign country. We certainly improved who we got compared to Brand and Herbert. Now need to strive even higher for someone who is slightly better with the academics and gets how athletics work within a University culture.

IU's biggest problem is they keep everything in house and try to ignore crisis' like this one and its happened time and again (I have been told this again by people who work within the University) and that far proceeds McRobbie and it allows bad PR stories like this to blow up into much bigger issues then they would be.

This is where the mindset needs to change and that's what we need is a president who believes in transparency and that's what Brian Davidson is pushing for (more transparency) in running for trustees. 

19 hours ago, Aaron said:

McRobbie has done some good things for the University academically. He's also far easier to work with then the previous presidents and a lot of people I know like him for the most part. He's not perfect but cares about the University far more from an academic standpoint (even if rankings don't show it). He is decent compared to the past 2 president's and does some good things.

He just doesn't get athletics being from a foreign country. We certainly improved who we got compared to Brand and Herbert. Now need to strive even higher for someone who is slightly better with the academics and gets how athletics work within a University culture.

IU's biggest problem is they keep everything in house and try to ignore crisis' like this one and its happened time and again (I have been told this again by people who work within the University) and that far proceeds McRobbie and it allows bad PR stories like this to blow up into much bigger issues then they would be.

This is where the mindset needs to change and that's what we need is a president who believes in transparency and that's what Brian Davidson is pushing for (more transparency) in running for trustees. 

I really don't understand the "he just doesn't get athletics" comments that I often see. Like, sure, he's from Australia and college sports aren't a big thing over there. So what? He's not a dumb man. Given his career, I assume that he's a very smart man. He sees how big sports are in the US. He's lived in Indiana since 1997. He sees the thousands of fans who go to the basketball games, the students who camp out for hours/days for big games, etc. There's no way that you can be smart enough to become a president at a major university without understanding that sports are a big deal here.  Saying that he doesn't "get" athletics is giving him an excuse. He understands, he just doesn't care. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I really don't understand the "he just doesn't get athletics" comments that I often see. Like, sure, he's from Australia and college sports aren't a big thing over there. So what? He's not a dumb man. Given his career, I assume that he's a very smart man. He sees how big sports are in the US. He's lived in Indiana since 1997. He sees the thousands of fans who go to the basketball games, the students who camp out for hours/days for big games, etc. There's no way that you can be smart enough to become a president at a major university without understanding that sports are a big deal here.  Saying that he doesn't "get" athletics is giving him an excuse. He understands, he just doesn't care. 

Trust me when I tell you that being from Australia he does not fully get how athletics work within a University. Its got nothing to do with being dumb. Unless you grow up in America, you cannot truly grasp how college sports in America fit within a University, since no other country has big time athletics as part of a school.

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Trust me when I tell you that being from Australia he does not fully get how athletics work within a University. Its got nothing to do with being dumb. Unless you grow up in America, you cannot truly grasp how college sports in America fit within a University, since no other country has big time athletics as part of a school.

In 21 years of living here he still hasn’t grasped it? I’d have to question his intelligence if this were the case. It’s like living in Europe and being oblivious to soccer.

I’m not trying to bash you at all, but all I’ve seen so far in defense of Mcrobbie is “he’s not that bad”, which is a bad case to make when there are PLENTY of university presidents out there that “get” what Mcrobbie doesn’t. He’s simply not doing his job as he should. 

29 minutes ago, VO5 said:

In 21 years of living here he still hasn’t grasped it? I’d have to question his intelligence if this were the case. It’s like living in Europe and being oblivious to soccer.

I’m not trying to bash you at all, but all I’ve seen so far in defense of Mcrobbie is “he’s not that bad”, which is a bad case to make when there are PLENTY of university presidents out there that “get” what Mcrobbie doesn’t. He’s simply not doing his job as he should. 

I am not making excuses and have been very clear that McRobbie needs to go and the University needs to find a president who is more transparent and balances athletics and academics.

But trust me when I tell you that when you hire a foreign president it is very hard for them to grasp the importance of athletics within an American University when you are not from here. I know of at least one other University that ran into the same scenario with a foreign president who didn't grasp the depth of how much athletics matter in this country and had been there just as long and had to resign as a result.

You cannot understand how athletics matter within a university culture in this country unless you grew up in this country since no other nation has big time sports within the school. It has nothing to do with being dumb.

51 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Idk, I mean I grew up in America so maybe that's why it's hard for me to believe that he doesn't understand. With how long he's lived in the US though you'd think he would at least know that it's a big deal. Something like "I don't understand why these silly Americans care so much about their college sports, but I understand that they do so I better emphasize it."