Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) PF Jalen Washington to UNC

18 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Mike Schumann at The Daily Hoosier - we offered this week.   6'8" from Gary West Side HS.  Another one to watch next December at the Forum Tip Off Classic.

Rivals

I keep hearing that this kid is the most talented kid in the state including the 2019 kids. 

Gary West Side was also a participant in the Kevin Brown Memorial Tournment taking on Chicago powerhouse Morgan Park.  Morgan Park won 73-54.  Haven't been able to find any detailed stats for Washington, but his teammate Quimari Peterson ('21 PG) a name you may want to keep in mind had 18 pts., 4 stls. and 3 assts.  

Have we ever got a player from Gary Westside? I can’t recall any but Purdue used to own the area before MichSt now does. Big Dog went there I believe. This kids a talent would love to see Archie outbid everyone else and you know UK will come calling with cash at the 11th hour.

When was the last time any player from Gary, East Chicago, or Hammond came to play at IU?  Dan Dakich was born in Gary but went to high school in Merrillville. Rich Valavicius who was a member of the 1976 undefeated team before transferring to Auburn starred at Hammond High. Bootsie White, an All State guard was from Hammond and came to IU with George McGinnis and Steve Downing.  Other than those three, I'm not aware of any players from that part of the state who have played at IU.

GARY — Jalen Washington will miss his sophomore season with a knee injury, West Side coach Chris Buggs confirmed.

The Cougars forward landed awkwardly at practice earlier this week. He was on the bench for West Side’s game with Bowman in the Lakeshore Classic Friday.

“He’s really in our spirits. We’re praying for him,” Buggs said. “His spirits are up. He’s doing OK, surprisingly. He’s very strong mentally. He’s already started rehab.”

Washington is ranked in the top 20 in the Class of 2022 nationally by all the major recruiting websites. He was expected to be among the state’s most productive players this season.

He wasn’t available for comment Friday.

“We feel good about our group, feel good about guys stepping up. But it’s going to take us some time to adjust,” Buggs said. “They understand that it’s time to step up. We use the mantra ‘strength in numbers,’ so we can be ready for a situation when we’re a man short.”

It’s the second major injury in as many years for Washington, who missed almost all of his freshman campaign with a broken shoulder suffered in the first game last season.

EDIT- This is the only link I’ve found for this, so I apologize if I’m incorrect

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/west-side-s-washington-suffers-season-ending-knee-injury/article_3c4bf568-98af-5dce-9f29-ca154e5590c5.html

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Unfortunately you're not incorrect mamasa.   

247Sports-

National top-10 class of 2022 prospect Jalen Washington of Gary West is out for the season with a knee injury.

“Jalen is out for the year. He has an ACL injury,” Gary West coach Chris Buggs tells Peegs.com. “He’s had surgery. He’s started rehab. The team is really bonding together to support him.”

A 6-foot-9 forward, Washington is the No. 7-ranked prospect nationally in the 2022 class by 247Sports.

“He’s a tough kid. He’s working his butt off in rehab already. He has a good family, good people around him. We’re confident he’ll make a full recovery.

“His spirits are up. We’re going to keep supporting him, keep him in our prayers.”

Washington missed most of his freshman season with a shoulder injury.

He was very good with Meanstreets during the AAU summer period and also with his Gary West high school team in June.

Not a lot to be said given Washington has missed more games in the last 2 seasons than he's played due to injuries but seems like a well-grounded young man and apparently still on our radar despite being plagued with injuries.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/04/22/west-sides-jalen-washington-humbled-by-indiana-offer-has-tireless-work-ethic-to-get-better/?fbclid=IwAR0mZtrfy-gTsLbND6j8Vk3dVimifEJWkv8Xp0-HnfJIfWgZrwfBQZq5t8w

His injury history is a concern to me and how will he hold up in the rough and tumble B1G?

Alec Lasley -

Indiana is starting to ramp up its recruiting efforts for the class of 2022 and already have a group of prospects that hold offers. One of those targets is four-star forward Jalen Washington.

The Gary, Indiana native is one of the top power forwards in the class and was the first prospect in the 2022 class to receive an offer from the Hoosiers.

Unfortunately for Washington, he hasn't been able to stay on the floor for that long throughout the early parts of his high school career. The West Side High forward suffered a season-ending shoulder injury during his freshman season, and also missed most of his sophomore year after tearing his ACL in December. Still rehabbing, Washington is a player who still has great upside despite the limited action of basketball over the past two years.

When he is on the floor, however, he is a dominant big man. At 6-foot-8 and 205 pounds, Washington has a good combination of size, length and skill. His athleticism that is highlighted by his wingspan, makes him an impact player on both ends of the floor.

Using his frame in the paint, he is extremely effective once he touches the ball on the block. A good variety of post moves already, he can score through contact with either hand and is almost a walking bucket from 10 feet and in. Despite his impact down low, Washington can step out and shoot the three while still having the ability to create off of the dribble at times.

His shot is still developing but with the ability to stretch the floor, his offensive game is as well-rounded as any big man in the class.

On both ends, Washington is a tremendous rebounder and can get even better if his motor remains high. As a freshman he averaged nearly nine rebounds per game.

Washington holds offers from Purdue, DePaul and Iowa in addition to Indiana. He is ranked as the No. 24 overall prospect in the 2022 class.