Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2019) PG Austin Van Zyl

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Wasn’t that the same guy that was talking up Duke to a kid Duke was also recruiting. 

Crean sure did know how to hire lol

That kid was Kyrie Irving and was concidered an IU lean before the McCleod BS.

Remember David Williams?  Jacksonville high player in 2009 that was given an offer by an IU assistant without talking to Crean.  Williams accepted......the assistant who made the offer was fired and IU backed off.  I believe Roshown McLeod was the assistant.
https://www.insidethehall.com/2009/04/22/hoosiers-land-first-2010-commitment-jacksonvilles-david-williams/

Wasn’t that the same guy that was talking up Duke to a kid Duke was also recruiting. 
Crean sure did know how to hire lol

Yes that was McLeod on a Kyrie Irving in home. Fired him for that. McCleod told Kyrie he would be better off going to Duke. The Williams thing was weird. He committed just never signed his loi. Rick Bozich went on radio in Louisville during the fall signing period when that went on and said he was part of a package deal that fell through. Never naming the player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That kid was Kyrie Irving and was concidered an IU lean before the McCleod BS.

Yep. He was close to committing. A stupid in home at the end and he just dropped us. That was the weirdest thing I can recall in all of my years following IU recruiting.

22 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

To be fair IU doesn’t/can’t say who they offer

But it would seem like there would be confirmation from sources other than Van Zyl....and while IU can't directly say who they offer, there certainly are quite a few people close to the program who can't confirm it like they had with other offers we have made.  And I do find it strange that Van Zyl hasn't tweeted anything in the past two days.

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

To be fair IU doesn’t/can’t say who they offer

True. One of the athletic dept’s mouthpieces would’ve confirmed by now though. Something weird happened in the last few days, whether from IU’s end or VanZyl’s. 

On 6/28/2019 at 6:33 PM, Hovadipo said:

True. One of the athletic dept’s mouthpieces would’ve confirmed by now though. Something weird happened in the last few days, whether from IU’s end or VanZyl’s. 

Very strange that it wasn't long ago he was retweeting articles about him considering what schools he would take visits to....then he tweets that he received an offer from Indiana, hasn't said he's gotten an offer from anybody else, and still hasn't 'set up a visit'.

17 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Very strange that it wasn't long ago he was retweeting articles about him considering what schools he would take visits to....then he tweets that he received an offer from Indiana, hasn't said he's gotten an offer from anybody else, and still hasn't 'set up a visit'.

I’m still not convinced he’s a real person. Working to confirm. 

11 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I’m still not convinced he’s a real person. Working to confirm. 

Well, we're 1 for 1 on fictional players committing to us but 0 for 1 with them actually playing for us....unless you count what was actually the cartoon that was Tim Priller.

I have to know!

Is he going to issue an imaginary acceptance or rejection of the imaginary offer?!?

"It is with great sadness that I am announcing that I will not be accepting the offer to play at Indiana University that I never had. Much love to Hoosier Nation; I'll always be an imaginary Hoosier in my heart! @pg_austinvanzyl"

lol