Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2019) PG Austin Van Zyl

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Reporters don't write the headlines, editors do.

I worked as a stringer (free lance sports writer for local teams, reporting on mostly local football games) and you are 100% correct.  And sometimes the editor's headlines are in 100% conflict with what the the writer wrote.

19 hours ago, Demo said:

Have no idea if the kid can play. What little that’s out there is pretty useless. Doubt he gets a dozen high major offers, though I don’t doubt that he’ll get his tires kicked by a dozen high majors. So the kid’s a lottery ticket? Ok. 1) you have 2 open rides available, 2) you have 1 pg on your roster. And Green should not play 1 single minute as point. He is not a facilitator, period. Can’t be argued in good faith,  3) a 6’4” kid who may or may not be good enough to help is available. A kid who fancies himself a future pro, 4) if he’s good enough to play you’ve solved the biggest issue on this roster, a 2nd facilitator. And maybe done so for multiple seasons.  No longer mandatory to find a pg in ‘20. Plus, a kid with enough size to play next to Phinisee as well, 4) if he’s not good enough, you’ve lost, what exactly? 1 year of a ride you weren’t using. The kid thinks he’s a pro, if he’s not playing, he’ll leave.  He’s already playing in a pro league. Guarantee that he isn’t looking to sit on scholarship for 4 years. Bottom line: if he can play, you’re better. If he can’t, you’re not worse. Zero downside. Though I’m sure there’s some underappreciated 5’9” kid from Yokel HS somewhere in the southern part of the state who Miller should take a swing at instead because he really, really wants to wear the candy stripes.

Side note: hate the term “Creaning” with a white hot freaking passion. Always have. It’s a lazy pejorative. Coaches have been “Creaning” kids since Crean was in diapers. A close friend on my College team was “Creaned” by our Coach and that was 198 freaking 3. Has happened forever, will happen forever. Crean’s treatment of players was in no way unusual.

I agree. At this point in 2019 recruiting I dont see a downside.

21 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Logically you are correct, but it just reeks of desperation, doesn't it? A week or so ago Archie says he's "banking" 2 open schollies, now he's keeping in regular contact with some off the radar kid that no one has heard of? Nothing wrong with checking out all options, but this is not the kind of roster management of an up & coming program, is it? 

It doesn’t feel that way to me. I have no problem with Coaches taking the occasional swing on traits as long as they have an out. I am probably the only one around here who didn’t think Jeremiah April was a bad offer. 7 foot. Good movement. Good hands. Really good touch. Turned out to have a poor work ethic and he was gone in a year. Nobody else was getting that ride, so I liked it as a low risk/high reward proposition. I see this similarly.

8 pages on a kid we really know very little about and who has no IU offer.  SMH

I’m willing to bet that nearly half of that 8 pgs is about “Creaning” lol. So glad I didn’t contribute in anyway to that

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, ebridges24 said:

Most of it was bickering about something other than the kid himself.

Sent from my LG-K371 using BtownBanners mobile app

Same as most threads lately, it seems. 

On topic, if this kid can reliably run an offense and has good upside I am all for it. Looks like we (the fans)might have to defer evaluations on him to actual coaches, seeing as there is so little information available on him. 

19 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

8 pages on a kid we really know very little about and who has no IU offer.  SMH

Sir, if you’re going to expect reasonableness from me, I will absolutely disappoint you.

Pretty sure I said that to my Dad at some point, and I KNOW I disappointed that guy. 

A re-twit from young Mr. Van Zyl:

David Sisk‏ @CoachDavidSisk

Vanderbilt has contacted South African guard, Austin Van Zyl, who plays in France. He had also heard from Cincinnati, Indiana, & UCLA. There is a possibility that he could also turn pro.

Now we know who some of the HM teams are

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

David Sisk @CoachDavidSisk
FollowFollow @CoachDavidSisk
More

Vanderbilt has contacted South African guard, Austin Van Zyl, who plays in France. He had also heard from Cincinnati, Indiana, & UCLA. There is a possibility that he could also turn pro.

If that’s legit I’m definitely more intrigued by him 

David Sisk‏ @CoachDavidSisk

Vandy, Cincy, Indiana, and UCLA for those who can’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app