Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2019) PG Austin Van Zyl

Not sure we are. Never said Archie was. Said this fan base seems to get excited every time every time we look at a flyer thinking that they will be the biggest diamond in the rough ever. 
Obviously Archie isn’t sure or else this guy would have an offer yet already on this board are chomping to lock him up so that he can be a contributor. 
Yet everything about him indicates he would most likely be a Priller. 
Taking flyers on guys like that is what leads to creaming because you can’t tie up that scholarship for 4 years. 
Its just like Gelon people looked for the silver lining and supported it when all the offer did was guarantee a creaning down the road. 
Dont support recruiting kids that are obvious creaning fodder then claim to be against the practice. 

To bring the convo back I am not sure that theory fits here. His size and handles even if for backup minutes at the point should be beneficial. Will he play here? I don’t know. But Gelon was a SG without size, handles, speed, athleticism, or a shot that can get on the floor. He had no shot. This kid has a role if he can adapt to the speed. I like his shooting motion, but I am not sure that would ever be a strength. His size could definitely create mismatches. I am pretty indifferent either way as I wouldn’t mind pulling an extra 20 or 21.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

25 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

But you don't know it will lead to Creaning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No but these kind of offers more often than not do. Certainly not guaranteed but still not smart. 

51 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

To bring the convo back I am not sure that theory fits here. His size and handles even if for backup minutes at the point should be beneficial. Will he play here? I don’t know. But Gelon was a SG without size, handles, speed, athleticism, or a shot that can get on the floor. He had no shot. This kid has a role if he can adapt to the speed. I like his shooting motion, but I am not sure that would ever be a strength. His size could definitely create mismatches. I am pretty indifferent either way as I wouldn’t mind pulling an extra 20 or 21.

Obviously my skepticism is based mostly I don’t believe that 12 HMs are actually interested. 

And In a field with this many experts when only 1 person sees something. It’s probably not all the others being wrong. As we learned so often under Crean. 

Could he work out and be legit. Of course he could. But as of right now with the information on the table it’s just not that likely. 

Obviously my skepticism is based mostly I don’t believe that 12 HMs are actually interested. 
And In a field with this many experts when only 1 person sees something. It’s probably not all the others being wrong. As we learned so often under Crean. 
Could he work out and be legit. Of course he could. But as of right now with the information on the table it’s just not that likely. 

That’s perfectly fair imo.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Have no idea if the kid can play. What little that’s out there is pretty useless. Doubt he gets a dozen high major offers, though I don’t doubt that he’ll get his tires kicked by a dozen high majors. So the kid’s a lottery ticket? Ok. 1) you have 2 open rides available, 2) you have 1 pg on your roster. And Green should not play 1 single minute as point. He is not a facilitator, period. Can’t be argued in good faith,  3) a 6’4” kid who may or may not be good enough to help is available. A kid who fancies himself a future pro, 4) if he’s good enough to play you’ve solved the biggest issue on this roster, a 2nd facilitator. And maybe done so for multiple seasons.  No longer mandatory to find a pg in ‘20. Plus, a kid with enough size to play next to Phinisee as well, 4) if he’s not good enough, you’ve lost, what exactly? 1 year of a ride you weren’t using. The kid thinks he’s a pro, if he’s not playing, he’ll leave.  He’s already playing in a pro league. Guarantee that he isn’t looking to sit on scholarship for 4 years. Bottom line: if he can play, you’re better. If he can’t, you’re not worse. Zero downside. Though I’m sure there’s some underappreciated 5’9” kid from Yokel HS somewhere in the southern part of the state who Miller should take a swing at instead because he really, really wants to wear the candy stripes.

Side note: hate the term “Creaning” with a white hot freaking passion. Always have. It’s a lazy pejorative. Coaches have been “Creaning” kids since Crean was in diapers. A close friend on my College team was “Creaned” by our Coach and that was 198 freaking 3. Has happened forever, will happen forever. Crean’s treatment of players was in no way unusual.

^^ G_d dammnit that’s a great post. ^^

Have no idea if the kid can play. What little that’s out there is pretty useless. Doubt he gets a dozen high major offers, though I don’t doubt that he’ll get his tires kicked by a dozen high majors. So the kid’s a lottery ticket? Ok. 1) you have 2 open rides available, 2) you have 1 pg on your roster. And Green should not play 1 single minute as point. He is not a facilitator, period. Can’t be argued in good faith,  3) a 6’4” kid who may or may not be good enough to help is available. A kid who fancies himself a future pro, 4) if he’s good enough to play you’ve solved the biggest issue on this roster, a 2nd facilitator. And maybe done so for multiple seasons.  No longer mandatory to find a pg in ‘20. Plus, a kid with enough size to play next to Phinisee as well, 4) if he’s not good enough, you’ve lost, what exactly? 1 year of a ride you weren’t using. The kid thinks he’s a pro, if he’s not playing, he’ll leave.  He’s already playing in a pro league. Guarantee that he isn’t looking to sit on scholarship for 4 years. Bottom line: if he can play, you’re better. If he can’t, you’re not worse. Zero downside. Though I’m sure there’s some underappreciated 5’9” kid from Yokel HS somewhere in the southern part of the state who Miller should take a swing at instead because he really, really wants to wear the candy stripes.
Side note: hate the term “Creaning” with a white hot freaking passion. Always have. It’s a lazy pejorative. Coaches have been “Creaning” kids since Crean was in diapers. A close friend on my College team was “Creaned” by our Coach and that was 198 freaking 3. Has happened forever, will happen forever. Crean’s treatment of players was in no way unusual.
Awesome post. I agree about "Creaning"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Logically you are correct, but it just reeks of desperation, doesn't it? A week or so ago Archie says he's "banking" 2 open schollies, now he's keeping in regular contact with some off the radar kid that no one has heard of? Nothing wrong with checking out all options, but this is not the kind of roster management of an up & coming program, is it? 

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Very well done.  I know nothing of Austin Van Zyl except the one video I've seen and another poster on another site mentioning he shot very poorly for his season.  I DO know you're 100% correct on Green and I'm stoked someone other than me said so.  That said, he WILL play at the "1," and we'll see if he learned anything and the late season improvement was meaningful..or...not.

Durham can give minutes at the "1," and I think Franklin can as well.  But...we do need another pure PG. What I don't know is whether or not our fans (who have become painfully impatient) will get upset if he's not able to contribute significantly in year 1.   I feel the same way about Luke Brown.  I think that kid (who I DO know about) will be a solid player by the time he's a junior in college, but doubt he'd "wow" anyone as a freshman.   Phinisee will be counted on heavily, and anyone here knows that's my horse.  I'm happy for that fact, but he ain't Superman.  He needs help.  I'd use the word "intrigued."

Logically you are correct, but it just reeks of desperation, doesn't it? A week or so ago Archie says he's "banking" 2 open schollies, now he's keeping in regular contact with some off the radar kid that no one has heard of? Nothing wrong with checking out all options, but this is not the kind of roster management of an up & coming program, is it? 

I don’t recall him saying that at Huber. He said we will have 3 or 4 recruits for 2019. If there was someone that would help this team he would go after them. I don’t recall him backing himself into a corner. We are the only ones that deal in absolutes.

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I don’t recall him saying that at Huber. He said we will have 3 or 4 recruits for 2019. If there was someone that would help this team he would go after them. I don’t recall him backing himself into a corner. We are the only ones that deal in absolutes.

I was referencing this story: https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/05/miller-plans-to-bank-2-open-scholarships/

CAM: "“We would only use one if it was an impactful decision. We’re not going to use one just to be hasty. We’ve had all spring to evaluate things, but going into the 2020 class with some more windows to add some more bodies in that class is something that we’ve looked forward to.”

So IF he brings on Van Zyl he must think he's 'impactful'. Here's hoping. 

5 hours ago, Demo said:

While making a good point...I take offense to you referring us in the southern part of the state as "Yokel"! I'm sure that my education level as witnessed by the IU diploma hanging on my wall is well deserved.

Sith Lords deal in absolutes

I was referencing this story: https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/05/miller-plans-to-bank-2-open-scholarships/

CAM: "“We would only use one if it was an impactful decision. We’re not going to use one just to be hasty. We’ve had all spring to evaluate things, but going into the 2020 class with some more windows to add some more bodies in that class is something that we’ve looked forward to.”

So IF he brings on Van Zyl he must think he's 'impactful'. Here's hoping. 

I definitely get why you said that now but if you read through that, that is just bad interpretation by the writer. He never comes out and says “I am banking this scholarship”. The writer point blank said that’s the plan. That is from the same thing I was talking about. If you watch the video of the whole speech he even discusses going into next year with “3 or 4 freshman”. In the article they acknowledge he said if there were impactful talent he would go after them. I don’t understand why the title is “Archie Miller plans on banking a scholarship”. That’s just bad reporting.