Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2019) PG Austin Van Zyl

10 hours ago, VO5 said:

Would love to have him, but Snow had a writeup today that said it’s a long shot for him to play in college. Sounds like going pro in some capacity is the likely option.

Isn’t he already a pro in France? Or is that different than the pros that play for Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Arizona?

Some have said that this feels like a Crean-like desperation recruit. With Archie saying that we will only go after someone that will help us in the 2019 class, I'm going to choose this to have more of the feeling of this being the type of unknown recruit Beilein would get at Michigan that would roast us for 20 point?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, schoosier said:

Isn’t he already a pro in France? Or is that different than the pros that play for Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Arizona?

He is, but I don't think that alone excludes him. I haven't read all of the information on amateurism but it appears that you can play at the professional level and still be eligible as long as you were not compensated in any way. The article/information posted by Stuhoo says he went there on a deal that would allow him to play college ball which leads me to believe his family is footing the bill.

13 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t know anything about him but we will have 2 open scholarships so if he doesn’t play or just fills in next time we have 5 guys on the DL I’m cool. Even more cool if he is a legit contributor

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I completely agree- for next season. But tying up a scholarship for 2+ yrs? Not interested.

Not concerned about his numbers vs grown men in a pro league, when he could be playing high school. If Archie wants him, and we have open scholarships, you take him. 

Agreed. I don’t know if there is upside, but there definitely isn’t much downside with the open schollies.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Everybody is against creaning yet all for doing the things that make it necessary. Seems odd. 

?

We have two open scholarships.  Can't Crean with openings.  Even if we take in another player this year, there would be three openings next year without any commits yet.

22 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Not concerned about his numbers vs grown men in a pro league, when he could be playing high school. If Archie wants him, and we have open scholarships, you take him. 

Agreed. Archie has not been offering scholarships to guys who he doesn't think are worthy. He wouldn't offer Wyndham because he didn't think he was good enough. If he's willing to offer Van Zyl it'll be because he thinks he's going to be a contributor, not to fill up a scholarship.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

?

We have two open scholarships.  Can't Crean with openings.  Even if we take in another player this year, there would be three openings next year without any commits yet.

So we sign 3 people. No open scholarships left. 

Would leave us with what 2 going into 2021 for that stacked class