Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Baseball: NCAA Tournament With Short Ride to Louisville

No warning. Ump was just terrible. Called ball 3 on strike 3 then proceeded to toss UL pitcher for saying ‘thats terrible’ and he gets automatic suspension. Then new pitcher throws ball 4 called strike 3 as makeup call. 
Ump screwed both teams big with terrible calls and should be in trouble but doubt NCAA does anything. 
Either way fun IU UL rivalry keeps building in baseball and shoutout to our fans who went toe to toe with them in fun neutral tourney atmosphere and made tons of noise all weekend.

That was called a ball with Lloyd on the mound earlier in the game. There were some bad calls both ways. Regardless, you can’t put yourself in that position if you’re THE closer or any other important piece.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 hours ago, Aaron said:

No warning. Ump was just terrible. Called ball 3 on strike 3 then proceeded to toss UL pitcher for saying ‘thats terrible’ and he gets automatic suspension. Then new pitcher throws ball 4 called strike 3 as makeup call. 

Ump screwed both teams big with terrible calls and should be in trouble but doubt NCAA does anything. 

Either way fun IU UL rivalry keeps building in baseball and shoutout to our fans who went toe to toe with them in fun neutral tourney atmosphere and made tons of noise all weekend.

I thought the ball 3 was most definitely a ball. It looked like it was at least a foot off the plate on TV, maybe more. I would not have been surprised if it was called a strike, but it definitely looked like a ball. (Side note, these games were my annual reminder as to why I have a hard time watching a lot of college baseball as the strike zone seems to consistently be called only marginally better than little league.) The bummer for me is I have yet to see the last pitch. My stream cut out and went to a blue screen, then to the ESPN logo for several minutes right before the pitch. It didn't come back until the teams were separated in the outfield. I didn't know until last night that it was a controversial call and there was a bit of a ruckus? Is there video available anywhere? I tried to watch the replay stream and got the same result. 

Now that season is over who can we expect to leave early from this years roster?

I would assume Matt Gorski is gone. Then maybe Gordon and Saalfrank?

I know Lloyd, Milto, Fineman have exhausted eligibility so will be gone as well. Will be a number of holes to fill on offense and possible SP. I would assume Bierman slides into one of those SP slots. Main bats back are Barr, Dunham, Bradley and Richardson

Gorski taken 57th by Pirates in second rd of MLB Draft. Means he should be an Indianapolis Indian within a few yrs.

Not there was much doubt and I never projected him as part of next year’s roster but being drafted this high he has 0% chance of returning. 

Although thats a bit high not shocked given his range and defense in OF as well as good hitting and power numbers at plate.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:27 AM, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Now that season is over who can we expect to leave early from this years roster?

I would assume Matt Gorski is gone. Then maybe Gordon and Saalfrank?

I know Lloyd, Milto, Fineman have exhausted eligibility so will be gone as well. Will be a number of holes to fill on offense and possible SP. I would assume Bierman slides into one of those SP slots. Main bats back are Barr, Dunham, Bradley and Richardson

Looks like Salfrank and Gordon both gone as well. 6th round selections. 

Hopefully Vecrumba doesn’t get drafted too high. He looks like he could be a similar player to Gorski. Big power potential. Mercer has a number of good prospects coming. Definitely will be interesting to see who takes the Friday, Saturday, Sunday starting pitching spots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is great for iu baseball for the future and shows how much better mercer develops talent then lemonis and will make highly ranked recruits want to play for him. These are lemonis’ guys but lemo couldn't develop them and Mercer did.

We had so many draft picks because we had a combination of lemo guys who were finally developed and got drafted a yr later than they should of (i.e lloyd) and newly eligible guys like gorski.

Betting man I say obviously of the guys left with eligibility gorski, saalfrank and gordon are gone. Beauchamp is obviously gone and I believe quit the team mid year. Bradley I think leaves since he already graduated. Lloyd and milto are out of eligibilty.

I do think Barr and Dunham come back for one more yr and could really get better and be high picks with mercer working with them and as sophomores still have leverage next yr when drafted as juniors. I always forget that you can be drafted as a sophomore if birthday within 45 days of draft. We really need these two back and think we get them.

This draft should easily make recruiting easier for Mercer going forward and iu a very attractive program.

Also Bierman and Sommer should be very good as two of the weekend starters and should only get better with new staff. Just still need to find that true Friday Night guy we have lacked since Kyle Hart. 

18 minutes ago, Aaron said:

This is great for iu baseball for the future and shows how much better mercer develops talent then lemonis and will make highly ranked recruits want to play for him. These are lemonis’ guys but lemo couldn't develop them and Mercer did.

We had so many draft picks because we had a combination of lemo guys who were finally developed and got drafted a yr later than they should of (i.e lloyd) and newly eligible guys like gorski.

Betting man I say obviously of the guys left with eligibility gorski, saalfrank and gordon are gone. Beauchamp is obviously gone and I believe quit the team mid year. Bradley I think leaves since he already graduated. Lloyd and milto are out of eligibilty.

I do think Barr and Dunham come back for one more yr and could really get better and be high picks with mercer working with them and as sophomores still have leverage next yr when drafted as juniors. I always forget that you can be drafted as a sophomore if birthday within 45 days of draft. We really need these two back and think we get them.

This draft should easily make recruiting easier for Mercer going forward and iu a very attractive program.

Also Bierman and Sommer should be very good as two of the weekend starters and should only get better with new staff. Just still need to find that true Friday Night guy we have lacked since Kyle Hart. 

Not sure I agree with the bulleted part just based on this year. Do I indeed think Mercer is a better developer of talent than Lemonnis, absolutely. But its hard to read into one year and give all the credit to Mercer. Most of the bats actually were worse this year than last. Gorski hit .356 last year almost 90 points better than last year. Lloyd hit for better average last year just had more power this time around. Bradley hit 50 points higher last year. Lloyd and Milto were out of eligibility so teams didn't have to worry about them going back to school. Gorski was already a high draft pick regardless. Lemonis deserves credit for this as well. in the long-term though, Mercer is definitely the guy and I am confident he will exceed what Lemo did. 

Barr coming back is huge. With Mercer developing players correctly I would not be surprised if Barr comes back and hits .300 with 20 HR’s. I expect Dunham to announce as a sophomore he is coming back and have similar improvement. Both should be top 10 rd picks in 2020. Nice offensive core with Barr, Dunham, Richardson and Ashley. 

Expect to lose other 8 drafted players. 

Michigan not only went all the way to Oregon to win a regional, but just took two of three from allegedly the best team in the country to reach the CWS. And it could've easily swept UCLA. ... And we won two of three in Ann Arbor. Makes you wonder what we could've accomplished had we actually shown up this postseason. 

On 6/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, Brass Cannon said:

Wow we are no longer the only big ten team to go to the CWS in my lifetime. 

I' m good with this. The more the Big Ten is successful the better it is for the conference as a whole. 

Dunham is on a with a summer league team along with 18 others so I assume he is coming back as well:

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2019/6/11/19-hoosiers-playing-summer-baseball.aspx

Bradley is not on a roster so I assume he is gone and makes sense with him graduating. From the beginning I thought Barr and Dunham would return and we would lose everyone else drafted. Makes for a nice core with a lineup of Richardson, Ashley, Barr, Dunham and Walker. Also as I said I am more than comfortable with Sommer and Bierman in two of the weekend starting spots. Just need to fine a legit Friday ace and a couple more lineup guys from the newcomers and we should be ready to role for another good season.

Speaking of a Friday pitcher, our last last true legit ace in Kyle Hart is at Victory Field this weekend with Pawtucket facing the Indians. Not sure when he pitches yet though.  

Also PU just got their coach Mark Wasikowski hired by Oregon so they are in the market for a new leader.

Not sure what Oregon is thinking (although he was an assistant there previously) as he did not set the world on fire at Purdue. Made tourney two years ago but team was an absolute disaster this year. If he really is all that he should of been able to at least maintain some semblance of decency this year.

Either way baseball is the one sport where we are miles ahead of PU right now and if I am them I would not be to angry about needing a new coach. Important though they make a good hire, as besides 2018, the last 7 years they have been one of the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the conference year in and year out despite those being the years of them playing in their new stadium. Talk about not taking advantage of a new facility and actually being a lot worse since it opened.

Lastly, Gorski signed with the Pirates for a million dollars yesterday and was assigned to Morgantown West Virginia to the Pirates Single A affiliate.

PU hired Greg Goff who was an assistant. Not sure if that's a good hire or not as he had head coaching experience prior to his 2 years at PU with mixed results.  

Update: Comments to the twitter post seem to indicate this is not a great hire and he got in hot water with NCAA at Bama.