Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Blocking posters/threads

I've been searching how to do this for a few days and I cannot seem to find out how. Either i need new eyes or this feature doesn't exist. Can anyone help out? Much appreciated if so!

If you’re on mobile, tap the user’s icon, then tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner- should say Ignore/Block. On desktop, I think you hover over icon and you’ll get a drop down (or, you may have to go to their profile and click ignore)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, BtownBanner6 said:

Couldn’t figure it on the website either but on the app I found it. Do you use the app?

I figured it out, thanks!

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

If you’re on mobile, tap the user’s icon, then tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner- should say Ignore/Block. On desktop, I think you hover over icon and you’ll get a drop down (or, you may have to go to their profile and click ignore)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Thanks! Finally got it. Any idea how to block a thread?

IMO blocking posters is a crappy idea (though y'all are welcome to do so). It's the mods job to rectify situations where a poster is violating rules or crushing the enjoyment of the board. 

However, for me? When I think a well-meaning poster is wrong, that's a fun give and take conversation.

I’ve tried blocking and the quoted message thing is what got me....that or I’d lose the willpower battle and read the message anyway just to see what was said. End of the day we all love Indiana and even the negative posters usually mean well and want the best for the students and program.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I get all the points of view, but sometimes when you continually see a thread that you feel is not related to IU and the poster continually brings it up, it’s nice not to see it anymore. Especially when it pops up under recently discussed which I use a lot. Just my preference

I will say that one of the things I loved about this site when I initially came here was that there wasn't the constant bickering between posters and personal attacks that I saw on other sites. That seems to have changed (at least in my perception). I don't think I really post enough to create many enemies, but I have to admit I do get tired of seeing the same things from the same posters all the time.

Having said that, I come here on my own free will and I continue to keep coming back. No one is forcing me. I prefer to let people vent and not try to ban people who don't see things the same way as I do. I just wish that everyone here realized we are all rooting for the same team. Some days it's hard to recognize.

I will say that one of the things I loved about this site when I initially came here was that there wasn't the constant bickering between posters and personal attacks that I saw on other sites. That seems to have changed (at least in my perception). I don't think I really post enough to create many enemies, but I have to admit I do get tired of seeing the same things from the same posters all the time.

Having said that, I come here on my own free will and I continue to keep coming back. No one is forcing me. I prefer to let people vent and not try to ban people who don't see things the same way as I do. I just wish that everyone here realized we are all rooting for the same team. Some days it's hard to recognize.

The funniest thing is, more times than not we agreed with the people we had to ban. We did it for a reason. I think you see our reasoning within your own post. But the guys now do a good job of keeping things under control. If we honestly stripped away the noise and saw where it comes from it’s only a few posters really. They are just really persistent.

I think when we banned people you guys saw a vocal minority complaining because they agreed with the premise of posts instead of looking at the meat of it. We truly didn’t ban many people. It was just the loudest ones. Then it was funny because they would just keep creating new accounts until we banned the IP. That’s why it looked like we were banning a bunch of people. Some people had short vacations. Hell I deserved some too over the years. But actually banning people that were actual posters we banned less than 5. Those short vacations were used to give people cool down times that would keep things from escalating. But the guys here really do a great job without doing it the way we did. It’s just frustrating times minus Tom Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think since I’ve been a mod I’ve banned about five;  a couple of em recently!  

Oh I am sure they are/will be back. They always do. The great thing is the majority of people when they come back are great posters or add to the discussion. Charlie is one of my favorite posters now. Occasionally there are a couple. Banning their IP was above my pay grade.

Oh I am sure they are/will be back. They always do. The great thing is the majority of people when they come back are great posters or add to the discussion. Charlie is one of my favorite posters now. Occasionally there are a couple. Banning their IP was above my pay grade.

Maybe we can get Patty Williams to come back....