Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Five star players and even some four star players are all about the NBA. For those players, college is just a necessary stepping stone  (until they do away with 'one and done') to professional basketball.  Memphis doesn't need to pay players to come because Penny Hardaway is promising them a path to professional ball just as John Calipari does.  And, both Hardaway and Calipari are natural salesmen. Juwan Howard will do the same and Michigan will load up with top 100 players passing in the next couple of years passing most teams in the Big Ten talent wise.  Patrick Ewing is old-school having been coached by John Thompson Jr. who is totally old-school. And, Ewing doesn't have the personality that Penny Hardaway does. I know a lot of people on this board love Archie Miller, believe he will bring Indiana basketball back, and don't want to hear anything negative about him or IU even if totally on target. But the honeymoon in recruiting is over for Archie as of the losing streak this past conference season and the feeling which is prevalent among many that he did not coach Romeo well. Until IU starts winning  and players start playing up to their potential, we will continue to struggle in the recruiting department. Personally, I think there is sufficient talent on this team currently to win. It is up to the coaching staff and players to make it happen because there is no help on the way until they do.

I would consider myself in the archie backing camp, and I agree with a lot of what you are saying on this. Juwan Howard is probably going to get a lot of top 100 recruits. So will penny. As calipari will continue to. Yes the honeymoon for Archie may well be over until IU becomes a consistent winner again. I just believe that addition by subtraction will work for this IU team this year. I believe that archie miller can coach better than penny or Juwan. It really does come to that. This past IU team was honestly one of the worst shooting teams that I have ever seen, also with the worst possible chemistry. I dont believe that this team gelled at all. It might have been leadership issues, shooting woes, Romeo sleeping with everyone's girl, etc. etc. Everybody can say whatever, it doesn't really matter. You either believe that Miller will right this ship, or you dont

Five star players and even some four star players are all about the NBA. For those players, college is just a necessary stepping stone  (until they do away with 'one and done') to professional basketball.  Memphis doesn't need to pay players to come because Penny Hardaway is promising them a path to professional ball just as John Calipari does.  And, both Hardaway and Calipari are natural salesmen. Juwan Howard will do the same and Michigan will load up with top 100 players passing in the next couple of years passing most teams in the Big Ten talent wise.  Patrick Ewing is old-school having been coached by John Thompson Jr. who is totally old-school. And, Ewing doesn't have the personality that Penny Hardaway does. I know a lot of people on this board love Archie Miller, believe he will bring Indiana basketball back, and don't want to hear anything negative about him or IU even if totally on target. But the honeymoon in recruiting is over for Archie as of the losing streak this past conference season and the feeling which is prevalent among many that he did not coach Romeo well. Until IU starts winning  and players start playing up to their potential, we will continue to struggle in the recruiting department. Personally, I think there is sufficient talent on this team currently to win. It is up to the coaching staff and players to make it happen because there is no help on the way until they do.

Yes, promises are the only reason coaches like Cal and Hardaway landed talent... At least you can definitively say we are done recruiting until we win and coaches like Howard can come and grab five stars like Hardaway. You do realizes Hardaway had a relationship with these kids before he was hired right? You know his relationships were the reason he was hired right? He knew who the handlers were beforehand. He knew who he would have to get to. Big difference in him and Howard. He is more in line with Calipari there. Howard has NBA connections, but he has never dealt with AAU. He has never recruited. Remember why his teams final four banners came down. He knows what it takes to win but he doesn’t have those built in relationships yet. Salesmen? Nah they are finishers once they have the money in place. This isn’t the recruiting that you grew up on. Salesmen means you are selling. Those two are buyers and finishers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 5/24/2019 at 9:31 AM, ap2345 said:

It’s possible. He could also be planning on taking a post grad prep year somewhere too.

I wish I did know what his plan was....he is classified as a 2020, so it seems obvious that he isn't planning to go this year even though it seems like he graduated.

I giggled at “Memphis doesn’t need to pay players...” nobody needs to pay the players but they must pay the people who decide where these kids will play for a year. Have we not learned anything from all the crap that’s come out? I can guarantee it’s a lot worse than that with some schools. The shoe money is king but boosters still run “programs” for players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wish I did know what his plan was....he is classified as a 2020, so it seems obvious that he isn't planning to go this year even though it seems like he graduated.

Yes it sure would be nice to know what his plans are. Love to see this thread get back on target

Losers whine about cheaters. Let's start winning and stop worrying about what other schools are doing to land top players. We have the talent (though 3-point shooting could continue to be a liability). Win in 2019-20 (i.e., compete in the conference and go to the NCAA Tournament) and the rest won't matter.

Losers whine about cheaters. Let's start winning and stop worrying about what other schools are doing to land top players. We have the talent (though 3-point shooting could continue to be a liability). Win in 2019-20 (i.e., compete in the conference and go to the NCAA Tournament) and the rest won't matter.

You seem to have good knowledge and insight, but you also seem to want a reaction from every post.

Lmao

6 hours ago, HoosierRobbie said:

So losers whine about other programs cheating? Gotcha.. I don’t think it makes you a loser to ask for an even playing field.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

While I agree with the premise of your statement. The reality is, it’s hasn't been  level playing field in decades. Look at UCLA 60 years ago. 

To me it’s about leveling the playing field as much as you can within your own house. Get the compliance office to help find the loopholes. See Romeo’s dad getting paid by Adidas. Purely within the rules. See Jim Harbaugh taking his team to Rome, Paris, now South Africa on the dime of a single donor. NCAA can’t say crap bc it’s educational. All kinds of ways to stay within the rules and make IU basketball on more equal footing. 

Look at Vanderbilt. They are hiring all kinds of support staff, like football programs. They even have a head coaching consultant (or something close to it). IU isn’t spending like that. We are still steps behind others in things that are legal. 

Walking Boot of Doom--Your charge is patently false. Just yesterday I posted a defense against another poster who attacked Coach Miller for taking Damezi Anderson over Aaron Henry, an in-state player who wound up playing well this year at Michigan State. My recollection is that while IU made Henry an offer, it favored Jerome Hunter over Henry as Hunter was more highly rated and considered the better player at essentially the same position at that time.  Henry would have gone to Michigan State even if Anderson had decided on Purdue over IU as many predicted. As a die-hard Hoosier fan since Lou Watson was coach, I don't hesitate to raise criticism nor provide praise for the team and coaches when I believe warranted. Sadly, there are some on this board who prefer to engage in personal attacks when someone raises a point with which they disagree. I am of the opinion that complaining about cheating is increasingly used as an excuse by some fans (not the coaching staff) when a recruiting target chooses to attend a different school. I have made the observation that our recruiting success under Coach Miller has stalled not because of cheating but because of last year's disappointing on-the-court performance and will not likely pick up to the level it was before last year's losing streak until the team starts to win consistently again and shows it is playing to potential. Walking Boot may call that whining. I consider it a legitimate point of view. One may agree or disagree. That is expected. But personal attacks surely are an unnecessary and unproductive response to any post.

Walking Boot of Doom--Your charge is patently false. Just yesterday I posted a defense against another poster who attacked Coach Miller for taking Damezi Anderson over Aaron Henry, an in-state player who wound up playing well this year at Michigan State. My recollection is that while IU made Henry an offer, it favored Jerome Hunter over Henry as Hunter was more highly rated and considered the better player at essentially the same position at that time.  Henry would have gone to Michigan State even if Anderson had decided on Purdue over IU as many predicted. As a die-hard Hoosier fan since Lou Watson was coach, I don't hesitate to raise criticism nor provide praise for the team and coaches when I believe warranted. Sadly, there are some on this board who prefer to engage in personal attacks when someone raises a point with which they disagree. I am of the opinion that complaining about cheating is increasingly used as an excuse by some fans (not the coaching staff) when a recruiting target chooses to attend a different school. I have made the observation that our recruiting success under Coach Miller has stalled not because of cheating but because of last year's disappointing on-the-court performance and will not likely pick up to the level it was before last year's losing streak until the team starts to win consistently again and shows it is playing to potential. Walking Boot may call that whining. I consider it a legitimate point of view. One may agree or disagree. That is expected. But personal attacks surely are an unnecessary and unproductive response to any post.

Thanks for the thesis. This board is better with less sometimes...

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-nbpa-top-100

Nice Diarra mention from Bossi. Along with Steward probably the kid I’m most interested in for ‘20. Been a while since I’ve thought the most purely competitive player on the floor was an IU kid.