Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Miller is not going to land any top 100 players who come from outside of Indiana--including Hassan Diarra-- until the team starts winning. The impression of players and coaches outside of Indiana--and perhaps inside Indiana as well--is that Miller has yet to demonstrate he can coach at this level. The view on Miller changed as a result of this past season's play.  That's why there are still two open scholarships. As for Jake Windham, no offer was made--apparently because Miller wanted to focus on trying to land Anthony Harris and Lester Quinones. Now there are no players left of Windham's quality (ranked 284 by 247 Sports). If Miller wants to fill the 12th scholarship for the 2019-20 season, he is going to end up taking the same route that Crean took and bringing in someone no one has heard of.

To be fair....if it's as simple as 'Miller hasn't proved he can coach at this level', then why is Penny Hardaway getting any recruits?

I didn't say it was a fair assessment. Nothing is fair when it comes to recruiting. Hardaway is getting a pass for now because some are bowled by his association with the NBA. Same will be true with Juwan Howard. Howard will land some top players before he needs to prove anything.  But at some point Hardaway and Howard will have to deliver or people will say the same thing about them--that they can't coach at this level (or any level). But for now the talk among many top players about IU's Coach Miller is not good while the talk about Hardaway and Howard is.

43 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I didn't say it was a fair assessment. Nothing is fair when it comes to recruiting. Hardaway is getting a pass for now because some are bowled by his association with the NBA. Same will be true with Juwan Howard. Howard will land some top players before he needs to prove anything.  But at some point Hardaway and Howard will have to deliver or people will say the same thing about them--that they can't coach at this level (or any level). But for now the talk among many top players about IU's Coach Miller is not good while the talk about Hardaway and Howard is.

Penny and Juwan Howard are very very different.

For a few years Juwan Howard played against Jordan.

For a few years Penny pretty much WAS Jordan.

If I had a dollar for every negative comment a player at an AAU event said about Coach Miller and IU, I would be rich! You obviously must have been in some of the same places I have frequent in the past two years!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Miller is not going to land any top 100 players who come from outside of Indiana--including Hassan Diarra-- until the team starts winning. The impression of players and coaches outside of Indiana--and perhaps inside Indiana as well--is that Miller has yet to demonstrate he can coach at this level. The view on Miller changed as a result of this past season's play.  That's why there are still two open scholarships. As for Jake Windham, no offer was made--apparently because Miller wanted to focus on trying to land Anthony Harris and Lester Quinones. Now there are no players left of Windham's quality (ranked 284 by 247 Sports). If Miller wants to fill the 12th scholarship for the 2019-20 season, he is going to end up taking the same route that Crean took and bringing in someone no one has heard of.

Well said!!!

4 minutes ago, lMinor said:

If I had a dollar for every negative comment a player at an AAU event said about Coach Miller and IU, I would be rich! You obviously must have been in some of the same places I have frequent in the past two years!!

Would love to hear more about this...is the talk more "concern" that he possibly can't coach at this level, or "certainty" that he can't? 

Share these negative comments with proof

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

s_amiller_sp.jpg

VS

Image result for penny hardaway mvpimage.jpeg

I understand your point.  But I think if it was just that, then this guy would have turned Georgetown around and be getting the #1 recruiting class. 

patrick-ewing.jpg

I'd have to say the difference is that Memphis -- a school with vacated final fours in 1985 and 2008 and a program that has had Dana Kirk, Cal, Josh Pastner, Keith Lee, and Derrek Rose -- is a program surrounded by a willing and able athletic department that goes beyond turning a blind eye to taking an active role in violations.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Penny and Juwan Howard are very very different.

For a few years Juwan Howard played against Jordan.

For a few years Penny pretty much WAS Jordan.

But to my point....Patrick Ewing is an NBA Hall of Famer, a member of THE Dream Team.  And their coaching experience prior to their current gigs?  Ewing was an NBA assistant for 16 years.  Hardaway was a high school assistant for two years and a high school head coach for one.

Now, of course it might not mean anything.....but there is a reason for people doubting that any of this is being done legitimately (even by college standards).

Five star players and even some four star players are all about the NBA. For those players, college is just a necessary stepping stone  (until they do away with 'one and done') to professional basketball.  Memphis doesn't need to pay players to come because Penny Hardaway is promising them a path to professional ball just as John Calipari does.  And, both Hardaway and Calipari are natural salesmen. Juwan Howard will do the same and Michigan will load up with top 100 players passing in the next couple of years passing most teams in the Big Ten talent wise.  Patrick Ewing is old-school having been coached by John Thompson Jr. who is totally old-school. And, Ewing doesn't have the personality that Penny Hardaway does. I know a lot of people on this board love Archie Miller, believe he will bring Indiana basketball back, and don't want to hear anything negative about him or IU even if totally on target. But the honeymoon in recruiting is over for Archie as of the losing streak this past conference season and the feeling which is prevalent among many that he did not coach Romeo well. Until IU starts winning  and players start playing up to their potential, we will continue to struggle in the recruiting department. Personally, I think there is sufficient talent on this team currently to win. It is up to the coaching staff and players to make it happen because there is no help on the way until they do.

Five star players and even some four star players are all about the NBA. For those players, college is just a necessary stepping stone  (until they do away with 'one and done') to professional basketball.  Memphis doesn't need to pay players to come because Penny Hardaway is promising them a path to professional ball just as John Calipari does.  And, both Hardaway and Calipari are natural salesmen. Juwan Howard will do the same and Michigan will load up with top 100 players passing in the next couple of years passing most teams in the Big Ten talent wise.  Patrick Ewing is old-school having been coached by John Thompson Jr. who is totally old-school. And, Ewing doesn't have the personality that Penny Hardaway does. I know a lot of people on this board love Archie Miller, believe he will bring Indiana basketball back, and don't want to hear anything negative about him or IU even if totally on target. But the honeymoon in recruiting is over for Archie as of the losing streak this past conference season and the feeling which is prevalent among many that he did not coach Romeo well. Until IU starts winning  and players start playing up to their potential, we will continue to struggle in the recruiting department. Personally, I think there is sufficient talent on this team currently to win. It is up to the coaching staff and players to make it happen because there is no help on the way until they do.

You have said this over and over again, we get it.