Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

8bucks

Left Field Candidate for a Job

I could use some help/suggestions for a job I would like to apply for. The thing is I would be kind of a left field - non traditional candidate but I posses a lot of the same skills needed.

I have the passion and experience (albeit in a different arena) to excel in this position but I want to embrace the idea that I am non traditional.

Anyone have any suggestions? This would be for an executive/VP level position so it would be a great opportunity. If any of you have cover letter, resume or other strategies I should consider in order to get some serious traction despite having a different background

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Tell your story.   Who are you?   Jimmy Buffet's resume says he's a singer.   And he can't sing.  At all.

Your resume says what you've done.    But...it's not who you are.  Develop THAT story and be able to articulate it and show/sell it.   Your letter should use the word "non-traditional" to describe your candidacy.   You may BE a different candidate than they expect.  Embrace it.  

A position like that requires leadership, organization, team work, and myriad other things.   In your letter...hit those hard, but do so briefly.  What experience do you have in your LIFE, work or otherwise that will qualify you for this position?  The best thing you can do is be and SELL...you.  Unequivocally.  Write the letter and walk in the interview like you own the damned place.  If you want to be the man....be the man.  And it starts with the introduction.

"Dear ______,"   My name is Jon Doe and I am excited to see that XYZ Widget has an opening for VP of Finance.  I am skilled in the areas of budget management, accounting, personnel management, and team leadership.  While my work experience has been limited in this field, I have run 3 travel sports organization, serve as bursar at Hope I Never Get Caught Christian Church where I manage a budget of $2.8 million, and I have my CPA license.  

Last month, in a role reporting to the VP of Finance at "This Company Sucks" I was able to save our service department more than $300,000 by renegotiating 3 separate contracts and improving our payment terms with 4 of our financiers.   I've been passionate about managing money and people since I helped my mother as girl scout cookie mom in 2003 when my sister set the Arkansas state record by selling 298,212 boxes of Thin Mints.  You can imagine the number of bank deposits and organization that was necessary....

Seriously....you can write whatever you want, obviously....but sell you and have fun with it.  And remember...you want an INTERVIEW.  Not the job.   Tip from Uncle Old Friend.

Where is the love button? Nice Old Friend, very nice!

12 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I could use some help/suggestions for a job I would like to apply for. The thing is I would be kind of a left field - non traditional candidate but I posses a lot of the same skills needed.

I have the passion and experience (albeit in a different arena) to excel in this position but I want to embrace the idea that I am non traditional.

Anyone have any suggestions? This would be for an executive/VP level position so it would be a great opportunity. If any of you have cover letter, resume or other strategies I should consider in order to get some serious traction despite having a different background

Need a few more details. Industry, what’s your applicable experience 

Need a few more details. Industry, what’s your applicable experience 

The position in question is to run a college career placement group. My experience is in key account management/sales/origination.

On the surface they may not match up but in both roles you need someone that can connect with commercial and industrial people. You need someone that can sell ideas, products and people.

Having had success as a key account manager in a sales role will be key but it is not enough. In addition to this I coached for about 10-15 years and many of the kids I coached in MS and HS are now entering the workforce. I have worked with many of these kids to understand their skills, how to interpret postings and how to make the translation. Surprisingly many schools have not really been coaching kids well on making this transition. Or at least the ones I have worked with have not been well prepared.

As a result, I have developed a bit of a passion helping kids bridge into a career. So many qualified kids read a job posting and eliminate themselves (and dont apply) assuming they have to have all the requirements listed in order to even apply. Similarly, many kids think there is one spot out there for them and they narrow their search. Sales is a great background to help here because you have to research a company well and be narrow when you are talking to that company but you also have to use a wide lens to consider multiple opportunities.

I think having the background in sales, the ability to manage key industrial relationships and the passion to help kids bridge into their careers makes me a great left field candidate