Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

19/20 Squad = Class Balance

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I'm sorry, I don't see how people expect Green to suddenly figure it out.  He's shown flashes for 3 years and has never shown anything to make us think it'll last.  Hopes and dreams?

I don't think he's ever going to figure it out in terms of being able to play consistently under control and run the offense as a PG. But I think Archie can mitigate his recklessness by putting him in the right position for his skill set, and my hope is that they figured that out to close the season. I think a lot of Green's struggles last season had to do with the fact that he had prepared all offseason to play one role, and then because of his injuries and Rob's ascendance, he ended up filling another role. He was clearly pressing a lot early in the season as his role diminished, and he kept looking to make exceptional plays instead of taking the easy ones. It took him a while to get comfortable. That's the glass half full interpretation. It's entirely possible that his success to close the season was a mirage, and he'll continue to be up and down, but hopefully it was a real shift.

Next year he should have a clear role as a playmaker. I disagree with some who want him only to be a shooter. He's good at creating shots for others, and he can be effective getting into the lane. He definitely needs work around the rim, as he gets himself to a good spot but then screws it up too often. I wish you could combine his ability to slither into the lane with Rob's finishing. However, he needs to either make a play or get rid of the ball. Things go downhill when he's holding the ball or dribbling too long.

10 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I don't think he's ever going to figure it out in terms of being able to play consistently under control and run the offense as a PG. But I think Archie can mitigate his recklessness by putting him in the right position for his skill set, and my hope is that they figured that out to close the season. I think a lot of Green's struggles last season had to do with the fact that he had prepared all offseason to play one role, and then because of his injuries and Rob's ascendance, he ended up filling another role. He was clearly pressing a lot early in the season as his role diminished, and he kept looking to make exceptional plays instead of taking the easy ones. It took him a while to get comfortable. That's the glass half full interpretation. It's entirely possible that his success to close the season was a mirage, and he'll continue to be up and down, but hopefully it was a real shift.

Next year he should have a clear role as a playmaker. I disagree with some who want him only to be a shooter. He's good at creating shots for others, and he can be effective getting into the lane. He definitely needs work around the rim, as he gets himself to a good spot but then screws it up too often. I wish you could combine his ability to slither into the lane with Rob's finishing. However, he needs to either make a play or get rid of the ball. Things go downhill when he's holding the ball or dribbling too long.

It's not one year, he's been exactly the same for 3 years.  I'd limit him to a shooting role even that's not particularly reliable with him; his decision making is consistently horrendous because his bball IQ starts with a negative, more than that is a recipe for disaster.

Problem is, he’s is an incredibly streaky shooter. Hot and cold. His Free Throw shooting doesn’t give me confidence he will be a consistent shooter.

As most of you know I’ve been a one of his biggest supporters from day 1.
I don’t know if I’ve been right or wrong with him though. Highs and lows. The potential is certainly visible but some of the decisions he makes has me shaking my head.

Still in the fanclub. Not leaving. But hoping and praying.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Green is the only player currently on the IU squad who can shoot the 3 with any kind of reasonable accuracy. With the top two scorers (Langford & Morgan) gone, the team's success next year really depends on Green's ability to play with consistency. If we see the Green who played well at the end of the season, IU should make the tournament. 

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Problem is, he’s is an incredibly streaky shooter. Hot and cold. His Free Throw shooting doesn’t give me confidence he will be a consistent shooter.

As most of you know I’ve been a one of his biggest supporters from day 1.
I don’t know if I’ve been right or wrong with him though. Highs and lows. The potential is certainly visible but some of the decisions he makes has me shaking my head.

Still in the fanclub. Not leaving. But hoping and praying.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

A streaky shooter isn’t too bad a thing if you have a PG that can recognize how he’s doing. Which I think we do. 

Now if Rob gets hurt again may god have mercy on our souls. 

Indiana not ranked in Andy Katz top 60 teams............

Remarkable what we’ve become.

First off, I think these type of rankings are ridiculous, BUT, based off EVERY metric, eyeball test, and recruiting outlook, Indiana should NEVER be outside of the the top 60.

Archie needs to eventually prove himself. Is this the year?

Illinois is in top 25 on this same list btw.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Thoughts from our Senior leader

IMG_0153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

While I can understand his angst to a degree he is hardly the level of player that is clearly earning a significant share of the millions IU gets from basketball. 

Not to mention I was usually on my feet from 7am to 9pm during my college days. And I didn’t have all the tutors and nutritionists I could ask for 

Thoughts from our Senior leader

IMG_0153.thumb.jpg.ec8c8e1c7cee6687ac585c788eaa8fb1.jpg

Oh young man. Forget that whine.

I was on my feet at 0445....

I left work at 8pm....

Still working into the night from home....

To pay for college that wasn't free....

And I didn't get to put up a single shot.

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Indiana not ranked in Andy Katz top 60 teams............

Remarkable what we’ve become.

First off, I think these type of rankings are ridiculous, BUT, based off EVERY metric, eyeball test, and recruiting outlook, Indiana should NEVER be outside of the the top 60.

Archie needs to eventually prove himself. Is this the year?

Illinois is in top 25 on this same list btw.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Is this the year?  Doubtful.  How many years does he get before the excuses run out?

IU doesn't deserve to be a 2019-20 pre-season top team based on its performance last season and the fact that the top two players are gone.  That said, this team has the potential to surprise assuming key players stay healthy and certain players take a step forward in development.

IU doesn't deserve to be a 2019-20 pre-season top team based on its performance last season and the fact that the top two players are gone.  That said, this team has the potential to surprise assuming key players stay healthy and certain players take a step forward in development.

This is honestly how I feel. I think we have hope, at least I do. We have some nice pieces. Not necessarily proven pieces, so i can certainly see why we aren’t projected well within the Big 10.

That’s more my point. Indiana needs to get past the point of having hope for a decent team. A team that garners respect and attention is where we should be. Or maybe not and we are just another program and the fans hopes and expectations of returning to blue blood status will not be met.

If he doesn’t make something resembling noise after year 4. Then there is no reason to keep him. 

Yeah I agree here. There aren’t excuses. This is pretty standard. I think we should evaluate after year 3 if we don’t make the tournament.

Just now, mdn82 said:

Yeah I agree here. There aren’t excuses. This is pretty standard. I think we should evaluate after year 3 if we don’t make the tournament.

There seems to be a pretty sizable chunk of the fan base ready to give him a pass on this next year. We lost our two best players I think is the logic there. I disagree but whatever. 

Our fanbase is surreal we crave success but are ridiculously patient with mediocrity

The transformation of a basketball team from mediocre to very good can happen quickly and somewhat unexpectedly.  It happened during Tom Crean's tenure when the team went from 12-20 in year three to 27-9 in year four (the year of the Watford shot against Kentucky). Of course, Crean wasn't able to sustain the success of that squad for more than two years. But the point is if the pieces are there to make a dramatic improvement--and in my opinion IU has the talent to have a good year--then it can happen quickly. It began to look like such a turn-around would happen last year until the bottom fell out during conference play. Obviously, if Coach Miller can't show improvement this coming season, he is in trouble (though he will get four years before he is pushed out).

1 minute ago, Honkyman said:

The transformation of a basketball team from mediocre to very good can happen quickly and somewhat unexpectedly.  It happened during Tom Crean's tenure when the team went from 12-20 in year three to 27-9 in year four (the year of the Watford shot against Kentucky). Of course, Crean wasn't able to sustain the success of that squad for more than two years. But the point is if the pieces are there to make a dramatic improvement--and in my opinion IU has the talent to have a good year--then it can happen quickly. It began to look like such a turn-around would happen last year until the bottom fell out during conference play. Obviously, if Coach Miller can't show improvement this coming season, he is in trouble (though he will get four years before he is pushed out).

Him needing the same amount of time as Crean to get going is a huge red flag in and of itself.