Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

Interesting : Big Ten Coaches Rank Big Ten Jobs

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

IMO a great AD and leader would help build a new arena that was along the lines of Allen Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Cameron Indoor, the Pit, Assembly Hall, and all the other greats. Not a soulless bland, sterile, antiseptic type arena like the YUM center. 

Again I'm for a new arena, but not if its like the YUM Center. 

Can't build them like that anymore.   Building codes require slopes of stairs be a certain angle or less.  Walkways wider.  Lighting different.  None of the buildings you mentioned are close to new....and there's a reason.  The closest thing you'll find is Banker's Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, and compared to all the ones you mentioned AND Assembly Hall, it's sterile.   You can no longer build a classic arena like the ones you mentioned.  Sounds easy....but it's not, which is why there are so many older ones still in use.  IU could easily find the money for a new arena and pay for it with naming rights and sponsorships.  So could Duke.  So could Kansas.  But they haven't.  Again....there's a reason.

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Its not hard to ask the architects to make what you want. 

Yes it is.  They have codes they have to work under and every single building we'd want to build would not be to current code.   This is the reason.  There aren't any others.   Indiana hasn't built a new building because there are laws in place telling them what they can or can't build, and anything new wouldn't and couldn't resemble anything we'd want, so they're using Assembly Hall.   They remodeled instead of building a new one for a reason.

Yes it is.  They have codes they have to work under and every single building we'd want to build would not be to current code.   This is the reason.  There aren't any others.   Indiana hasn't built a new building because there are laws in place telling them what they can or can't build, and anything new wouldn't and couldn't resemble anything we'd want, so they're using Assembly Hall.   They remodeled instead of building a new one for a reason.

I’m saying maybe you keep the existing sides of assembly hall as you can’t build that steep anymore and add elements like hinkle behind the goals. Or maybe you find a happy medium getting as close to hinkle and Phog as possible. From a financial analysis perspective it wouldn’t make sense on paper, but upgrading to something better, yet not Yum center is totally possible

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I’m saying maybe you keep the existing sides of assembly hall as you can’t build that steep anymore and add elements like hinkle behind the goals. Or maybe you find a happy medium getting as close to hinkle and Phog as possible. From a financial analysis perspective it wouldn’t make sense on paper, but upgrading to something better, yet not Yum center is totally possible

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They just did a $45 million renovation.  I would doubt they'd do another one this quickly, and I doubt many believe they need to.  Assembly Hall is unique in its own way.  Being on that floor feels like the fans are on top of you.   It's not the same as Phog Allen, but it's no worse or better.    I'm just fine with the facilities we have.    Duke and Kansas get players....so will we.

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Except Ohio State has several hundred million more $$ in their athletic budget than we do.  You'll have that at a school twice the size and NOT competing with 2-3 other similar sized schools for state money.     Like I said before, being #1 in faciities would require a new arena and getting rid of Assembly Hall.    That's not happening, so you can stop hoping we'll be #1 in facilities for a while.

There is something to having an elite football program in terms of athletic department revenue.   We don't.